Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times

Advertisements

Yep... hang onto that truck ! If you are into outdoor activities you will need it even in summer. If spending any time on the dirt roads (which many are) during the rainy times they get pretty greasy when wet. Many of them with no 4x4 when greasy... no passy !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 06:17 PM

61 posts, read 333,104 times
All depends on your snow driving abilities! I drive a Pontiac Grand Am and it has done very well over the snow drifts that have been accumulating on side roads south of Kalispell. I live near Jewel Basin so I don't live where my drive way requires a 4wheel drive, but insurance and gas are alot cheaper to drive my car.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:35 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
I just sold my 02 Grand Am & got an 04 Ford Escape. Gas mileage is very close to the same and the insurance on the Escape is CHEAPER than on the Grand Am. Our agent said it's because it has a better safety rating. So I beg to differ that a Grand Am is cheaper to drive. My Escape has done WAY better on the ice & snow here than the Grand Am, even though it wasn't bad for a smaller car.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:29 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,815,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acwhite96 View Post
All depends on your snow driving abilities! I drive a Pontiac Grand Am and it has done very well over the snow drifts that have been accumulating on side roads south of Kalispell. I live near Jewel Basin so I don't live where my drive way requires a 4wheel drive, but insurance and gas are alot cheaper to drive my car.
driving abilities has anything to do with how high the snow gets We rented in that same area for two years while building.Beautiful area! at the time we had a toyota camry.your right the front wheel drive in that little car got us around pretty darn good if not great,but clearance was next to nothing.But is was also over the winter of the big snow of 96' sometimes the plows didnt get out on the roads as early as we did. thats where somthing thats sits a little higher is handy and the option of 4x4 to get me out if stuck

Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 PM

112 posts, read 404,921 times
Default Corvettes on Ice

I thought I would revive this discussion a little. Most of what I need to know was answered here and I have a Jeep GC 4x4 so i am good on one count. One the other side, I have a corvette.

We all know the auto market jumped off a cliff and offers nothing for trade ins (like they ever did) but still wants a healthy retail price for your car after they get it.

I looked into trading my car even though I don't want to. Will I be able to drive this car in Bozeman in the winter?

I know it sounds silly but cheer me up.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 11,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis7 View Post
I thought I would revive this discussion a little. Most of what I need to know was answered here and I have a Jeep GC 4x4 so i am good on one count. One the other side, I have a corvette.

We all know the auto market jumped off a cliff and offers nothing for trade ins (like they ever did) but still wants a healthy retail price for your car after they get it.

I looked into trading my car even though I don't want to. Will I be able to drive this car in Bozeman in the winter?

I know it sounds silly but cheer me up.
The good news: you can get low-profile radial snow tires and they will help a lot. The bad news: torquey vehicles are hard to get moving from a stop in slick conditions especially with little weight over the rear wheels. I don't know the year of your 'Vette but if you have traction control that will definitely help on the starts. Sometimes 2nd gear starts work better.

I had exactly the same concerns on taking a financial bath reselling an older rear wheel drive 'Benz and drove it up through snow in ID and over the Monida pass to my home here in the Bitterroot valley. The low profile snows (Dunlop 3Ds?) worked well. The worst case snow depth was probably 3" - 4". Good luck.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:30 PM

406 posts, read 1,360,220 times
we do fine in our geo metro in the winter. it starts up way better than any deisel or large engine car. no magnetic oil pan warmer, no engine block heater, nothing. starts right up in -35 like it was meant for it. all you need to do is have the proper gear in case you get stuck. a bag of sand, and a metal shovel.

now with that said, we also have a jeep grand cherokee for when the plows block our driveway with 2 feet of ice and snow

Old 12-25-2008, 06:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
An aquaintence of ours has a newish 'vette and has had one for years. During the height of the winter it's in the garage but if the roads are clear he's driving it.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:15 PM

112 posts, read 404,921 times
Well, I went down to Carmax this past weekend to see what they'd give me for it and they came back with a figure that, honestly, I thought they were jolomg or taking about someone's well-used Camry.

My vette is an 07 and has everything you can get on one. The push/pull is that I have high equity and low payments but most of my equity has dissipated into the thin air of the bad car market so i have a great car for a small monthly that isn't very practical even where it doesn't snow or get to be 15 below.

To boot, I owe just enough to spoil an even trade on something like another JEEP GC with low miles.

Are the roads around Bozeman maintained well early in the am....from most all directions?

Old 12-28-2008, 11:19 AM

369 posts, read 1,455,016 times
I'd stick with the 4WD vehicle - here in Missoula it is necessary in the South Hills with ice and snow - but one could always put on and take off chains!! UGGH!

One thing that you might look for in a newer All-Wheel drive vehicle is traction control and stability control. Combined with ABS braking it makes winter driving a breeze and a much safer one. Our Honda Ridgeline has all those bells and whistles and with good tires I've never had a problem regardless of the snow depth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana