Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 05:09 PM

15 posts, read 61,256 times

Advertisements

WELL HELLO FROM FL I NEVER SEE MONTANA ON THE NEWS MUCH YOU ALL MUST HAVE A PRETTY GOOD STATE THAT HAS GOOD PEOPLE I HAVE TO ASK ARE THER ALOT OF GOOD LOOKING BIG MONTANAIANS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 07:00 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Quote:
ARE THER ALOT OF GOOD LOOKING BIG MONTANAIANS?
Actually the word is Montanans. I think because the population is so small that it's one of those states like Delaware that you never hear too much about. I think they pretty much look like everybody else but you'll probably see more cowboy hats than you would in Florida.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:20 AM

189 posts, read 799,675 times
No publicity is good publicity IMO. There is a spellcheck feature on here too BTW.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:36 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
Aye, it seems that whenever Montana recieves publicity, it's for the Unabomber, the freemen, or some other fringe group.

Montana might have made the backpages of the national news when it recently nullified the federal law mandating "Real ID" cards, though. Major props to Montana for that.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Quote:
Aye, it seems that whenever Montana recieves publicity, it's for the Unabomber, the freemen, or some other fringe group.
Yeah and have you noticed that hardly any of those people are actually native Montanans?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:26 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Default Montana transplant perspective

You don't hear much about Montana because nothing much newsworthy happens here - and that's a good thing. I have lived here for a year and can tell you that Monatana, at least here in Missoula and in the Bitteroot Valley, has the definite feeling of being "sheltered" and shut off from the rest of the country. Having grown up around Washington D.C. and living near Charlotte N.C., it is truly a different world here. Depending on your perspective, that could be a good thing. There is so much open space and natural beauty here - but there is a definite trade off if you move here. Sometimes it feels so exceptionally clean, safe, and pristine here that it is also almost incredibly boring. Does that make sense? Anyway, if you can bring all your family and friends here to live near you, then great. Or if what you really and truly crave is solitude and peace and quiet above all else, this is probably the place. Sometimes though, I can't help but wonder what's going on "over on the other side of the mountains".

Old 05-01-2007, 09:30 AM

495 posts, read 493,027 times
Montanamom Wrote:
Quote:
You don't hear much about Montana because nothing much newsworthy happens here - and that's a good thing. I have lived here for a year and can tell you that Monatana, at least here in Missoula and in the Bitteroot Valley, has the definite feeling of being "sheltered" and shut off from the rest of the country. Having grown up around Washington D.C. and living near Charlotte N.C., it is truly a different world here. Depending on your perspective, that could be a good thing. There is so much open space and natural beauty here - but there is a definite trade off if you move here. Sometimes it feels so exceptionally clean, safe, and pristine here that it is also almost incredibly boring. Does that make sense? Anyway, if you can bring all your family and friends here to live near you, then great. Or if what you really and truly crave is solitude and peace and quiet above all else, this is probably the place. Sometimes though, I can't help but wonder what's going on "over on the other side of the mountains".
Seriously, I don't think you have to move to montana to find peace, solitude, etc. But it seems that most people that move here come from a crowded city/suburb area of the country, thus the feeling of being isolated, I think there are plently of places in just about any state where one can feel isolated. Even in the most populated states one can find nice rural settings and if they'd just turn off their TV they could feel that way. It's kind of a theme I keep repeating.........you don't have to move all the way across the country to find a quite safe place to live. Montana, has becuase of books and movies and the like, captured the nations attention as the place to move to for all that stuff, who hasn't heard of "the last best place".....I could shoot (figure of speach the guy the coined that phrase.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 30,374 times
montanamom: I grew up in MT and I'm now living near Charlotte, NC! Circumstances keep me in NC, but I would give anything to go home. Montana IS the last best place. I visit every year. My mom has a place on Flathead lake. I grew up in pow-wows and sitting across the dinner table from the elder Native American Indians. MT has a lot to offer. Ironically, I feel the same way about NC as you do about MT. I guess no matter where you live, home is really where your heart is!

Old 05-01-2007, 02:19 PM

74 posts, read 367,092 times
H - We are now in Texas. We are originally from the extreme NE New England originally but have been fortunate to travel the past ten years. In a few years, we'll move into our home again though. I wanted to say that although I have loved all the gorgeous places we have gone - OR, WA, Maine, Vermont, Arkansas, and yes even Texas has some durn purty places - that you are right about MT being the last place - indeed. Our son is finishing up his engineering education and we will NEVER blast him out of Montana. This means we'll end up there too when he starts a family. Congrats for being from MT and hope you get back there soon someday!

Old 05-02-2007, 05:34 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Montanamom Wrote:

Seriously, I don't think you have to move to montana to find peace, solitude, etc. But it seems that most people that move here come from a crowded city/suburb area of the country, thus the feeling of being isolated, I think there are plently of places in just about any state where one can feel isolated. Even in the most populated states one can find nice rural settings and if they'd just turn off their TV they could feel that way. It's kind of a theme I keep repeating.........you don't have to move all the way across the country to find a quite safe place to live. Montana, has becuase of books and movies and the like, captured the nations attention as the place to move to for all that stuff, who hasn't heard of "the last best place".....I could shoot (figure of speach the guy the coined that phrase.
If a person wants solitude they should go to Alaska. Alaska has lots of jobs and lots of money, two things we lack in Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana