Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:25 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
This thread is about to take a turn from a "which gun should I get thread" to a "should we have guns thread". This is where I sit back and watch the liberals shake their fingers at those of us who grew up with a gun in our hands.
Does always go that way, don't it! but I think that's the fundamental point -- if you grew up around something dangerous, and it doesn't matter if it's guns, or tigers, or a volcano, or the ocean, or NYC traffic -- you learn how to handle it, what's safe and what's not. You learn perspective, and how to manage any associated risks. In short, firsthand experience.

Conversely those who didn't grow up around [insert dangerous thing here] react either with fear-and-loathing and a fervent desire to restrict it (as a means of managing their own fear), or with some sort of unrealistic fantasy (like little kids who think it'd be cool to live with tigers in the jungle).

Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
A Ruger22 pistol that you can shoot a lot and get good with is better than ANY gun you can't hit with,much less a shotgun inside a house for an unexpierenced lady.

People make fun of a 22, but aint nobody volunteering to stand in front of one.
That's why I got my .22 Ruger -- aside from already knowing I liked that model, it's light, not a lot of kick, and this "nine stone weakling with knobbly knees" can bring it to bear a lot faster and more accurately than I could something heavier.

When I picked a shotgun out of my dad's collection, the one that balanced nice in my hands is a little old 20 gauge, a cheap Monkey Wards model that's as simple as a gun gets and probably cost 10 bucks new (ca. 1955). I don't care if it gets laughed at, it was the right one for me, and that's what counts.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,752 times
Quote:
This thread is about to take a turn from a "which gun should I get thread" to a "should we have guns thread". This is where I sit back and watch the liberals shake their fingers at those of us who grew up with a gun in our hands.
A half -truth. I personally know many liberals who hunt and have guns, some have many of them.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
A half -truth. I personally know many liberals who hunt and have guns, some have many of them.
Old-school "my personal business is not your business" liberals, or newfangled "nanny state knows best, mommy gov't will fix" liberals? One of 'em needs a better label, cuz they sure ain't the same thing!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Neither are old school conservatives like Taft or Eisenhower compared to the neo-nazi reactionary "conservatives" of today.
Neither are today's conservatives all "neo-nazi reactionary" types -- indeed, that's a very small faction. Trouble is, the loons yell the loudest, so it's hard to hear the real conservatives anymore.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdreamer View Post
My apologies if this topic has been visited before...but just wondering, what kind of pistol or rifle is recommended for protection of person and property? I've never really had reason to have either before, but I'd like to get one or both before they're outlawed. I've also been looking at taking classes through the NRA on how to handle these since I have limited experience and nobody to teach me. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
A lot of WHERE you need protection will factor in to the type of firearm you should have. A typical scenario where a gun is needed for protection usually takes place within a short distance (15 feet or less). I prefer a short but legal shotgun of 20 gauge or 12 gauge and loaded with #6 or #8 shot. Now obviously this will not fit in your purse but in your home you can find a place to keep it safely until needed.

Why a shotgun instead of a rifle or handgun?
In a short distance a shotgun is lethal and the easiest of all weapons to fire quickly and hit what you are aiming at. PLUS the safety factor of not penetrating through several walls when loaded with the #6 or #8 shot.

I have done penetration tests personally but my methods were not scientific but just from personal observations the shotgun when fired from inside the typical apartment or house poses the least risk to anyone somewhere else in the house. Compare the penetrating power of the shotgun loaded like I mentioned to a high powered hand gun like a .357 Mag or a 9mm and you will see a huge difference.

GL2

Old 11-04-2009, 06:02 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,661 times
Quote:

Please don't put words in my mouth. I clearly stated that I believe people have a right to own guns. I am simply pointing out that guns also cause alot of problems.

Man you all are good a picking out tiny pieces of responses and going wild on them.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 PM

38 posts, read 122,916 times
I'm with Gunluvver2. Although I personally keep my guns locked up, if I was going to keep one handy for home defense I'd want a shorty 12 gauge w/ a pistol grip. If I'm sleeping and wake up to funny noises that I feel I need a gun to investigate, I'd rather do my dark, bleary eyed investigating behind the barrel of a shotgun. Less accuracy required and more intimidating to any perp. I hadn't previously thought about GL2's point about penetration but I like his thinking on that too.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:25 PM

271 posts, read 460,375 times
How bad is the recoil on a 12 gauge? I remember shooting a shotgun years ago that kicked like a mule and left a nasty bruise. Any brand names favored over others?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
Don't think anyone plans on outlawing guns anytime soon. Just my 2 cents but the idea of guns providing protection is kind of backwards. Protection from what? The incidence of random violent crimes are so small its crazy. On the other hand you have the chance of accidents using a gun or children getting ahold of it. Again just my 2 cents and not at all saying you should not be allowed to own a gun just voicing a personal opinion about safety.
This has to be the most uneducated opinion I've read on the whole internet today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana