Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,037 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family and another family are looking to move to Helena, Montana. We're in search of a better lifestyle, and getting away from this urban landscape.

We have a couple questions:

1. How is the housing in Montana? Price-wise. Where in Helena is the best place to live (family-oriented place). Where can I search online listings?
2. How is education?
3. Are there many jobs available? Where would I look for jobs?
4. Are there many Jews or Muslims in Montana? What is the local population's view about them?
5. What should I know before I move? If I move( Which I hope I do).

also what cities near Helena are good in terms of housing, people, and outdoors.

Last edited by justwonderrrin; 03-08-2010 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,037 times
Sorry for double posting but what cities are near Helena that are nicer to live in (and have lots of outdoors).

Old 03-08-2010, 07:06 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwonderrrin View Post
Hi. My family and another family are looking to move to Helena, Montana. We're in search of a better lifestyle, and getting away from this urban landscape.

We have a couple questions:

1. How is the housing in Montana? Price-wise. Where in Helena is the best place to live (family-oriented place). Where can I search online listings?
2. How is education?
3. Are there many jobs available? Where would I look for jobs?
4. Are there many Jews or Muslims in Montana? What is the local population's view about them?
5. What should I know before I move? If I move( Which I hope I do).

also what cities near Helena are good in terms of housing, people, and outdoors.
I cannot state "strongly enough"........visit, visit,visit!!!!! To consider moving to Helena, MT (or any place in MT) without visiting the area first (for at least 10 days total), would be a serious mistake. Preferrably once in the summer & once in the "dead-of-winter". .....Trust me!!!!! This is the best advice you will receive , IMHO.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:08 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
There are alot of threads already available for this type of question....please do a search,and also check the chamber of commerce for Helena,missoula,Bozeman,Great Falls,Billings,Whitefish and Kalispell-for info about the common cities people move to.

MT has less than 1 million people in the whole state!
There will be some folks of every religion,especially in the college towns [bozeman and missoula],but in general MT is not very ethnically/racially diverse,and this includes religion,too.

Again,the search function will provide you with alot of info.

One thought: Many people 'flee' the city when they cannot take another day-but they make the mistake of moving somewhere very rural/very different. Try a state with a slightly larger economy/population base,as a starting point,and you can always go smaller after that. IMO
ie,Colorado-Boulder,Fort collins,colorado springs areas.

[I adore MT;it's in the top 3 of places I love in the U.S.;but based on your post,I recommend looking at other options,too.] You will still find 'lots of outdoors',but with more amenities and people and culture-which is probably a better fit for you.
Heck,even san diego where i now live has lots of outdoors-and this outdoors [desert,mountains,ocean] is far easier to access than in NYC. Same with San Francisco,for that matter.[And there are SO many beautiful parts of NY state that are rural or college town small,with great outdoor access.] But,if you are definitely set on moving west for a change,keep in mind that in general,cities and college towns throughout hte west provide excellent and ready access to the outdoors and that type/pace of lifestyle,if you want it. With the exception of LA,phoenix and maybe a couple of other places...though even with them,you can find nature reserves and nearby hiking,w/in an hour. (though I am not recommending them,just pointing out that the lifestyle is different out west,having grown up in the NE,myself,in a semi rural area).
Good luck to you!

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-08-2010 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 PM

30 posts, read 60,132 times
Helena definitely has a smaller town feel. It is a great family area though. Montana City and Clancy are just south of Helena and are great family areas as well. The economy is also doing fairly well here compared to other areas (around 5 %)

There are many different religions represented in Helena and we welcome good new families!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:35 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Quote:
Originally Posted by big skymt1 View Post
Helena definitely has a smaller town feel. It is a great family area though. Montana City and Clancy are just south of Helena and are great family areas as well. The economy is also doing fairly well here compared to other areas (around 5 %)

There are many different religions represented in Helena and we welcome good new families!
IMHO, I would think it would be wise (and more helpful) to be slightly more specific in regard to answering the OP question(s).

Examples: There is no Synagogue in Helena, there in no Mosque in Montana.

Broad based, generalized statements, IMHO, are of little benefit to this OP................................................ ..........suggestion: re-read his initial inquiry. It would be a shame to have these fine folks end up being dis-satisfied with a possible move to Helena, if it didn't meet their expections with regard to certain aspects of their everyday life: i.e. cultural, religious beliefs, etc, etc.
The response given by "lrmsd",IMHO, is quite appropriate and informative.
Again, these are just my own personal opinions.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,059 times
I'd still suggest visiting first for sure. It would kind of suck for a person to have all these "Legends of the Fall" or "A river runs through it" images in your head and find that there is crime, graffiti, drugs, high priced housing and traffic here also. Except now you don't have the luxury of lots of work to pick from. Good paying jobs in MT are EXTREMELY competitive, and lots of times you need an inside edge to even be considered, unless you are one of the fortunate ones who has buckets of money to start a business with, but even then you might be surprised at how tough it can be..

Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM

30 posts, read 60,132 times
I don't think the question was is there a synagogue or a mosque......

Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big skymt1 View Post
I don't think the question was is there a synagogue or a mosque......
.............yes, you are correct-----HOWEVER, since the OP asked his question #4 not only in this inquiry (post)....but also in another seperate inquiry (post #16) in another thread...........it appears quite clear that ANY information related to his question(s) regarding Jews and Muslims is of significant importance to him!! One does not have to be very insightful to figure that out. Since you did not see fit to answer his question (#4) in a specific manner, I felt it appropriate to provide him with some specific information that would be of benefit................. Have a nice day!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 AM

281 posts, read 870,069 times
If you don't already have a profession/estabilished job before coming here, I think job hunting will be difficult. My husband is in school, and when we came up his first job he got was at a gas station. It was not his first pick, but it put the money on the table. There's really not alot of jobs here. We've seen alot of people come up and leave because of that, in the short years we've been here.

I think the "River Runs Through it" fantasy ends once a person settles in and realizes like anywhere else you got bills to pay. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana