Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 PM

649 posts, read 1,773,818 times

Advertisements

i'm so frustrated right now that i'm about ready to pack up and head back to idaho. and anyone who's read my post knows i love billings; but so far all the houses for rent are controlled by property management companies which i WON'T rent from for many reasons. i've been renting a condo....but don't want to for much longer....want a house and don't want to buy for lots of reasons.... so guys what's the rest of montana like for finding a house to rent from a private person????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,162,572 times
Sorry to hear that. But property management is the wave of the future. It just makes sense. Pay the deposite, the rent and you're home free. Who cares who is renting it?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,137,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
i'm so frustrated right now that i'm about ready to pack up and head back to idaho. and anyone who's read my post knows i love billings; but so far all the houses for rent are controlled by property management companies which i WON'T rent from for many reasons. i've been renting a condo....but don't want to for much longer....want a house and don't want to buy for lots of reasons.... so guys what's the rest of montana like for finding a house to rent from a private person????
.......Google is your friend...... Type in: Montana House Rentals By Owner

Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 PM

649 posts, read 1,773,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Sorry to hear that. But property management is the wave of the future. It just makes sense. Pay the deposite, the rent and you're home free. Who cares who is renting it?
elkhunter you care when there's something wrong with the place PM co's don't fix anything. i've had bad experiences with them and know others as well. and you never get your deposit back! but who knows i might have to bite the bullet and do it anyway........so many of the pm houses are so run down because they don't maintain them as well as private owners who rent out and oversee their property.

i haven't heard of google rentals so i'll check that out. tx

Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 PM

Then you put up with what they want! They own it. You want to discuss my property???? I own it. It's mine. Live with what I dictate or find another place. Simple as that.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,767,254 times
I have rented two different places since moving to MT (we are in a much smaller town that Billings though)... and neither of the houses I've rented have been through rental management companies. We have just looked in the local paper and found our houses. I will admit that we have been lucky - had awesome landlords both times. I have had friends who have had "landlords from Hell" - even without management companies involved. Are all the rentals listed in the paper there through management companies? How about word-of-mouth? Anyone you know a landlord with something for rent, or maybe knows of someone else looking to rent a house out? I would put the word out as much as possible - tell everyone at work, etc... that you are looking for a place. You might get lucky and find something good that way.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:29 AM

369 posts, read 1,458,582 times
Redhead: People who own rental property don't want to have the hassle of dealing face to face with modern-day renters whe tend to be very untidy and disrespectful of the property where they live. Property management companies are the perfect answer. We recently turned our fraternity property over to a PM company and it's worked very well.

As Elkhunter was implying, try to own you own home; then you become responsible for the things that don't work. Sound like you don't want that.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:19 PM

836 posts, read 1,497,165 times
Did you check Craigslist? I wouldn't want to rent from PM either; found a private landlord here in Msla and have been happy renters for several years. Unless you own a complex, or multiple properties, I think PMs are a ripoff for landlords too. Anyway, check out Craigslist but do your homework. There are some scams floating around but anyone with half a brain ought to be able to sniff those out. I'm trying to move and I check listings at least twice daily.

P.S. Redhead, I gotta say I'm sorry to see that you're getting some grief over your question. Good luck in your housing search.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 PM

369 posts, read 1,458,582 times
Der Strudel sagt:
Quote:
There are some scams floating around but anyone with half a brain ought to be able to sniff those out. I'm trying to move and I check listings at least twice daily. P.S. Redhead, I gotta say I'm sorry to see that you're getting some grief over your question. Good luck in your housing search.
Ever notice how Missoula malcontents always point to some unknown higer power (maybe it's still George Bush) that's keeping them down?! It's either the property mangaement people (whom you can avoid) or those who criticize their illogic. Should you, Der Strudel, opt to purchase your own property (and join the property taxpayer rolls) you won't have to spend time checking listings twice a day! Of course, as a non property tax payer you can always vote to increase mine. Isn't this a great country or what??!!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 PM

I wasn't trying to give anybody grief. But I've found that property managment operations can actually work to your advantage in some circumstances.

I've had landlords that shrugged their shoulders when I called them and told them the refridgerator quit. Rent was with appliances. It took the landlord a week to get a used refridgerator into my house. Where as, with a property management setup, they usually have either a fun set aside or at least the resources to take care of problems immediately.

With private rentals I've had really good luck on some and really bad luck on others. The bad luck the owners thought, "Hey, it's my property, I'll run it the way I want. Live with it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana