Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 AM

128 posts, read 372,925 times

Advertisements

I want to drive up for a road trip and a scenic & spirited drive. I want to go during a time where there are a as few cars on the road as possible. When is this time? Preferably during the Spring or Summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:51 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
I would highly recommend Spring. That is when wildflowers are blooming and the hills are really green. It is also warmer and less foggy than Summer, less crowded too.

Summer is the 'worst time' due to coastal fog which sets in. Yet that is when most tourist visit. So you get the worst weather and crowds combined. Don't come in Summer! Any season is better, including Winter.

Derek

Old 01-06-2015, 10:06 AM

124 posts, read 277,412 times
Default Flowers in February?

For the past two years, I have visited the Central Coast in October. By the second visit, I realized that, in October, I was seeing California at its driest and brownest (and hottest!). Coming from the East Coast, I was not prepared for a heat wave in October (Virginia's heat waves occur in July and August).

While we were on a tour of Filoli Gardens (Woodside) last October, our tour guide recommended visiting in late-February/early-March to see the best flower displays. Is it true that the flowers are out so early? On my next visit, I want to see my favorite town (and future retirement spot), Pacific Grove, at its greenest and floweriest.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:53 AM

I was thinking of going during early to mid May, just before school is out. I'm making the trip from San Diego so I will be stopping by a lot of places on the way.

Last edited by itisthumper; 01-07-2015 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 AM

The wildflowers can sometimes start as early as late March. Just keep in mind the peak blooms vary year to year depending on rains and weather. That said April is a good month to target which is right in the middle of bloom season - late March to early May. I've caught great flowers anywhere in that window depending on the year.

Filoli Gardens is a beautiful place. Their blooms happen at slightly different times than the local wiildflowers depending on the plants. The tulips, which they are famous for, come alive in early April:

Derek

Old 01-08-2015, 10:40 AM

124 posts, read 277,412 times
Derek,

Thank you. Love the pictures. Wish I were there (the temperature outside my door is currently 17 degrees). Whoever wrote "California Dreamin" must have been living in Virginia in January.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the head's up, Derek. I'll try to aim for April but I'm unsure how that will work out with the Coachella Music Fest in the same month.

Are there any specific places I should visit such as the Monterey Aquarium?

Old 01-15-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisthumper View Post
Thanks for the head's up, Derek. I'll try to aim for April but I'm unsure how that will work out with the Coachella Music Fest in the same month.

Are there any specific places I should visit such as the Monterey Aquarium?
It really depends what things you enjoy most. The aquarium is always a winner. Whale watching can be really great too. Since I love nature the Big Sur coast is a destination in and of itself and not to be missed. Check out Point Lobos in Carmel.

BTW, I would check the Monterey events calandar and try to come when thee are no *major* events like the Jazz Festival, unless of course you are coming for the event itself.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:14 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Always drove US-1 in the springtime (e.g. April, May) during the week. Less traffic than summertime and generally warm and nice.

Definitely a must do!

Old 01-16-2015, 10:56 AM

I'm aiming for April 19 - 21. Do you guys know how I can access the 17-mile private road?

Also, how are the conditions of the roads? Are there a lot of potholes, or rocky areas that I have to drive my car over?

I'm not planning to attend any events as I'm pressed for time with only 3 days to drive up and back to San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County