Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 PM

8 posts, read 36,700 times

Advertisements

Hi, I wanted to jump in here. I visited Monterey two years ago. I fell in love. Seeing the seals, the laid back life style, and big Sur sealed the deal. The problem. I am a social worker, Fitness coach and Spa owner living in DC area. I have invested in housing and will make a a decent amount when I sell but, I don't want to go broke or be house poor. I want to open a doggy day care/spa in the area and hope to live off of that. Thus here is my question. Can I make a living off a doggy day care and is there housing close to monterey that will not cost me 700K for a one bed room condo. I am prepared to down size for the quality of life, but what kind a life do you have if you have to struggle to make your bills. Any feed back would be great!
Mary www.CenterStageFigures.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 08:15 PM

841 posts, read 2,261,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james203 View Post
monterey is quite high to live and shop and summers are loaded with tourists.the weather is similar to england.foggy,misty and cool.
It is only foggy in the morning ..but for all 4 season the sun is out daily

Old 04-30-2007, 04:37 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
It is only foggy in the morning ..but for all 4 season the sun is out daily
I am totally convinced you dont even live in Monterey??
To say that Monterey has sun daily??
Maybe what you meant was Monterey can have sun during all 4 seasons at times

Old 05-03-2007, 02:16 AM

38 posts, read 151,089 times
Maybee it was Monterray... Lay off the "C" before noon.

I have similar problems myself..

Old 05-03-2007, 02:22 AM

Or even Monterrey (Mexico)
.... See what I mean

Old 05-03-2007, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,211 times
Default moving to Monterey

Water is cold..cold..cold-came as a shock to this ex-pat.
Summers are foggy, and it lacks the balmy evenings
found just a little farther inland.
Good little town and not too far from a little more culture
of SF. Hope you are not from London as you will miss that life.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:21 AM

841 posts, read 2,261,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
I am totally convinced you dont even live in Monterey??
To say that Monterey has sun daily??
Maybe what you meant was Monterey can have sun during all 4 seasons at times
Another out-stater acting like you live in california rofl ..... yes the sunny is out on a daily basis...dont act like a weekened trip to Monterey has made you a resident. Fog is a rarity in Monterey during the day, this is not marina,seaside or salinas

Old 05-04-2007, 04:35 AM

Hope you are not from London as you will miss that life.[/quote]

What`s to miss in London, dont get me wrong London is a Great place for a short time and only if you have money to burn.
The place is full of billionare Russians , Arabs and Nigerians god love them they have pushed up the property prices so that Englishmen like me can sell up and get out.
California is the best... drive a few hours and you have it all.

North California to me is like Cornwall on Crack.
I`m counting the minutes till I get back.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:46 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
Another out-stater acting like you live in california rofl ..... yes the sunny is out on a daily basis...dont act like a weekened trip to Monterey has made you a resident. Fog is a rarity in Monterey during the day, this is not marina,seaside or salinas
Sorry to inform you, I just left the Penninsula after 46 years not even a year ago so i do qualify to say wht i say. And, NO the sun is never out on a daily basis. You have got to be out of your mind.Fog does not happen in Monterey as often as PG,Marina,PB and for your info. parts of Seaside escape a lot of fog as well. Now, do you live in "Monterey".??? Oh by the way, i was there on March 17th to be exact, not an ounce of sunshine that day in Monterey only untill i went to a friends house in the late afternoon in Toro Park did i see it.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:14 PM

23 posts, read 145,879 times
Have to jump in here, even though I arrived to the game late.

If you are from the UK, there are quite a few ex-pats out here with businesses that will remind you of home. My personal favorite is the Britannia Arms Pub (http://www.britanniaarms.com/monterey/index.htm (broken link)) off Alvarado Street in "Old" Monterey. The owner is a Birmingham ex-pat who makes sure the pints are always coming and cooks a mean Bangers & Mash. Not to mention the Curry is to die for. Also they routinely broadcast Europe football (go Newcastle!). There are several other pubs including the Mucky Duck (http://www.muckyduckmonterey.com), Crown & Anchor (http://www.crownandanchor.net), and the Bulldog British Pub. For a bit of a drive, I also recommend English Ales (http://www.englishalesbrewery.com) in Marina, CA. Not that drinking is the only thing to do in Monterey, but it's good to know there are many places to hoist a pint after work.

There is also a store, Lewis & More (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...CYGgqwLG7on1BQ), located near the Portola Plaza Hotel, that carries British food. You can even order Haggis, if you so choose.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County