Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 AM

175 posts, read 324,010 times

Advertisements

Climatology Comparison for Montreal, Canada - weather.com

April to October are probably pretty similar, but winter is quite a bit colder and has significantly more snow than Toronto (like said, about 60 - 70 % more). December in Montreal is colder than any month in Toronto, for example.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
They are both variations on a similar climate and if you are already living in Toronto you should not avoid moving to Montreal just because of concern over winter cold.

No one moves to Toronto from Montreal because it is "milder", let's be honest.

In fact, no one even moves from Montreal or Toronto to New York because it is "milder" either, to put things in perspective.

Nobody in the U.S. moves from Boston to New York or from New York to Philadelphia because they are "milder", do they?

People in Canada (all regions) who want to move to a "milder" climate go to Vancouver or Victoria. These are the only two options where there is anything close to a significant climactic difference for them.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,135,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
People in Canada (all regions) who want to move to a "milder" climate go to Vancouver or Victoria. These are the only two options where there is anything close to a significant climactic difference for them.
Well I guess I'd make an exception for people currently living in Iqaluit or Alert

Old 06-28-2011, 03:03 PM

122 posts, read 479,336 times
I disagree with those that say Montreal is only a bit colder than Toronto. I'd say it's much colder. Furthermore, the cold doesn't really let up like you'd find in Toronto. With Toronto winter, it's not uncommon to get some extended periods of mild weather. These types of breaks are less common in places like Montreal and Ottawa. And watch your step on the streets of Montreal in the winter. The walking is treacherous even for the most agile.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
If any one really cares..

Toronto stats
The Climate and Weather of Toronto, Ontario

Montreal stats
The Climate and Weather of Montreal, Quebec

Old 07-01-2011, 01:54 AM

395 posts, read 598,021 times
Having lived in Ottawa for 4 years I was shocked how much colder it was than Toronto.
Ussually Toronto is about 5 degrees warmer than Montreal and 6 degrees warmer than Ottawa. You can definately tell the difference but where you will REALLY notice the difference is in the snow. Not only does Montreal get nearly twice as much snow but it stays on the ground much longer and you have large accumulations you don't get in Toronto.
If Toronto gets a storm then climate is mild enough that the snow will melt on again off again. In Toronto you can often still see the grass where in Montreal you can often see the top of your car.
In Montreal it snows more but doesn't melt so the snow depths are much higher.
It is the exact opposite of Calgary where it gets the same amount of snow as Toronto but due to the Chinnock Winds {which in native Indian language means "snow eater"} you can have weeks on end with no snow on the ground at all.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightButLoose View Post
The walking is treacherous even for the most agile.
Oh yeah, i remember finding myself looking at the sky without raising my head last february in montreal... I droped a small key during my trip to the ground & during the time i was looking for it i saw 3 peoples falling at the exact same spot as me... winter in montreal is not bad, it's deadly, average 10° difference in january & even more in february between toronto & montreal

Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,732 times
In Montreal it gets so cold that sometimes you have to bring the sled dogs inside the igloo and cuddle with them for warmth

Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,481 times
How about during the summer months? Is Montreal warmer or colder than Toronto in the summer months and which one is more humid? Or is it just about the same then?

Old 06-16-2012, 02:30 AM

984 posts, read 2,711,732 times
Details here http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...hLviyYv2-23HnQ and http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...EYnb6mXfEBGcmw

but in general the igloos in Toronto melt a bit in the summer and the ones in Montreal don't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal