Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:00 AM

8 posts, read 19,659 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I'm an American high school student from Buffalo whose going off to college (university; same thing) in a year and a half. I plan to be a foreign service officer in the US State Department. For this I would like to learn french. Now I know there are many ways to learn a language and obviously the french of Quebec will not be the same french as that in France or Cameroon or Algeria, etc. I would like to learn French via immersion and I think that going to school in French Canada would be a good way to do that. I have been to Montreal before and really like the feel of the city (it reminds me of Buffalo in a few ways, but has good differences). How would an American student fit in around here? Does the school (I'm looking at McGill, but I do not rule out Concordia or Universite de Montreal) or other people have bias against Americans? What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 10:32 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
No idea on your biais questions (I had numerous American friends when I studied in Quebec City and they never mentioned anything to that effect), but thought I would send you this link as there is additional information here on learning French as a second language in Quebec and Montreal. http://www.city-data.com/forum/montr...s-anybody.html

Old 11-11-2011, 10:47 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
According to Wiki: International students hail from about 150 different countries, though many of them are from the United States, with Americans comprising about half of all international undergraduates and a third of all international graduates in the entering class of 2010. In recent years, a growing number of American students are attending McGill: many are attracted to the culture and dynamism of Montreal, the university's reputation, and the relatively low tuition costs in comparison to many top public and private universities in the United States.

So quite a few American students (Especially from New England) attend McGill so I would not anticipate any bias at all. Montreal is an amazing city, time spent studying there will be a rewarding experience.

Also a degree from McGill is very well respected in the United States once you return after graduation. I work with quite a few McGill grads and their education standards are viewed as top notch, even in a extremely competitive city like Boston.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Concordia and McGill are English schools so i'm not sure how much French you'll pick up , if you want to go to French immersion one of the French Universities will give you all the French you can handle and if you can hack it for 3-4 years your French will be impeccable
Also here in Montreal College is equivalent to CGEP or pre university.
Heres the main ones. Google will bring up a few more..

Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 PM

136 posts, read 581,473 times
McGill is "Harvard of Canada".

Excellent university if you could get into, because it is not easy at all.
I hope you have mostly A's and few B's as Junior and Senior year.

There are lots of Americans studying both at McGill and Concordia in Montreal, along with from hundreds of other countries in the world.

The French in Canada and France is same difference as British and American English, although the written language of French in both countries are more similar than AM and BR English.

Remember since you will eventually attend English College, don't expect to learn French fluent unless you also take French classes, spend lots of time on the streets, watch French Media etc.

Good Luck.. Montreal is an AMAZING city!!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 19,659 times
Well, I carry a 94 or 95 average consistently. When I say bias, I had gotten some snobbishness when I went to Montreal when it became apparent that we were American (mostly through the part where we couldn't speak french). It happened when we needed help getting tickets at the subway station and twice while we were getting dinner. Also (don't know if its true) but I have heard that other Canadian college studetns look down on the Americans for taking their spots in universities because there are so few and hard to get into. Another thing is healthcare. I'm going to be covered onto my parents plan until I'm 21, but I don't believe that even covers me in Canada. How is the healthcare up north and how as a international student can be cover under it? Is it very slow so that it would be better if I needed to see a doctor I would be better to jump back over stateside and see a doctor in Platsburgh or Ogdensburg? Lastly costs: I hear going to college in Canada is very expensive. How as an American student can I bring those costs down seeing that I dont qualify for any subsidies from the Canadian goverment?

Hahaha, I know thats a lot in itself so I certainly dont expect one person to answer all of that

Old 11-11-2011, 01:57 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo-mitch View Post
Well, I had gotten some snobbishness when I went to Montreal when it became apparent that we were American (mostly through the part where we couldn't speak french). It happened when we needed help getting tickets at the subway station and twice while we were getting dinner. Also (don't know if its true) but I have heard that other Canadian college studetns look down on the Americans for taking their spots in universities because there are so few and hard to get into.
Unless you were going on about being American i hardly think a Francophone would know whether you were American or an Anglophone from some other part of Canada. I think you just misread a Francophone's response to some one who doesnt speak French and The French person may not have been comfortable speaking English.
As for getting tickets at the subway station dont feel picked on as Montreal transit personnel get a special course in how to be rude and ignorant to everyone ,your language is irrelevant.
And your assessment of other Canadian students looking down on Americans is total rubbish as i'm sure Americans students are out numbered 10 to 1 by Asian students and every one gets along just fine says my two daughters who are in McGill and the other in Concordia and the wife who did a 4 year teaching degree in McGill not too long ago.
I think you'll have the time of your life doing your university in Montreal,and if you dont like it you can always complete your education somewhere else..

Last edited by jambo101; 11-11-2011 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times
McGill is a smart choice; Concord is good too.

Health insurance is compulsory for all international students. For this reason, you are required to participate in the Group Insurance scheme offered by McGill / Concord.

https://secureweb.mcgill.ca/internat...011-2012_0.pdf
http://registrar.concordia.ca/calendar/pdf/sec19.pdf

Old 11-16-2011, 11:21 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo-mitch View Post
Also (don't know if its true) but I have heard that other Canadian college studetns look down on the Americans for taking their spots in universities because there are so few and hard to get into.
I don't think it's true but I'd also question the logic behind that rumor. Why would fellow Canadian students look down on you -- if they're in McGill too, surely it must mean you did not take their spot?

I don't have any numbers to provide but I'd be pretty surprised if it was tougher for a Canadian to be accepted at a good Canadian university than for an American to get an offer from a good US university. There are fewer universities but fewer people battling for spots too.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
I graduated from McGill last semester. The health insurance from the university is cheap and there's a hospital right on Campus (but it'll be moving to a new location in the next couple of years). It might be a slower wait then you're used to but it would in no way at all be worth it to go over the border. We Canadian students in no way discriminated against the Americans and I had a number of American friends. My cousin from Virginia complained about her roommate from Waterloo acting like a superior Canadian and talking smack about the U.S. all the time, but that was just one person being rude and for the most part you don't have to worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal