Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleusakura View Post
. I read this post on the BBC website and I was surprised by the idea that "Quebecois values are closer to British than to French":

BBC - Languages - French - French Connection - Québec

Quebec and France - close cousins or old acquaintances? Writer and critic Jean-Pierre Desulniers

Le rapport avec la France est extrêmement complexe. Sur plusieurs points, on a de la difficulté à se comprendre et les Québecois, d'une certaine manière, sur le plan des valeurs de la vie courante sont plus proches des Britanniques que des Français.

Translation
The relationship with France is very complex. In many areas, we have difficulty understanding each another. Quebecois values are closer to British than to French.

Can you recommend any books, movies, and music that reflect the Quebec mindset and culture?

I would caution against reading too much into this as 1) it is only one person's view and 2) the translation is not completely accurate because there is a part missing.

He says "in some ways, values of Quebecers in everyday life are closer to those of the British than of the French".

This does not mean ALL values, only some of them.

So I wouldn't go into Quebec expecting it to be like the UK. Certainly the whole free enterprise and entrepreneurship mentality that anglos (UK, US, English Canada) are known for is not as strong in Quebec as elsewhere, to name just one example. The whole "no sex please, we're British" has no resonance at all here, as Quebecers are probably the least prudish people overall in all of continental North America.

But yeah, Quebec came under British colonialism in 1763 and has lived under that type of system (albeit with a French legal code) or systems inspired by it (modern-day Canada) ever since. So sure, that has led to some influences.

In truth, Quebec is a mish-mosh of influences: French (of course), British, American, Irish, English Canadian, aboriginal, Italian, and even Scandinavian. Some of them due to politics, some to geography, some to demographics.

For example, a typical breakfast in Quebec might include eggs, sausages or bacon as in the UK, but instead of tea like in the UK it will be accompanied by coffee. But it might be accompanied by croissants, or French-style thin crêpes instead of American-style thick pancakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 AM

25 posts, read 70,489 times
Sorry about the frowning emoticon - I meant the opposite! I have wondered if French Canadiens (what is the correct way to write this?) are ambivalent about both the English and the French - the English because they were the colonizers and the French for having abandoned them when they signed the Treaty of Paris.

Any recommendations for books or movies on cultural life in Quebec?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Sorry about the frowning emoticon - I meant the opposite!
I hadn't even noticed it!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Any recommendations for books or movies on cultural life in Quebec?
I will give this some thought and get back to you.

Off the top of my head though:

Sacre Blues: An Unsentimental Journey Through Quebec: Amazon.ca: Taras Grescoe: Books

Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I have wondered if French Canadiens (what is the correct way to write this?) are ambivalent about both the English and the French - the English because they were the colonizers and the French for having abandoned them when they signed the Treaty of Paris.

French Canadians in English. Canadiens français in French, though this is considered an oldish term by most people, and Québécois is the most common appellation.

As for the British, they are pretty much a non-issue in Quebec now, no more than Germans, Swedes, Danes or Australians. Most people even consider England and the UK to be kind of cool. The historical affiliation and any related issues have largely faded away. Few British people live in Quebec at the moment and the local "anglos" are way more like "other Canadians" or even Americans than they are British.

As for the French, well if you know anything about Australia it is similar to the relation they have downm there with the British. For the French, Québécois are the stereotypical cousins from the new world overseas, somewhat less classy or couth than the French, but also way friendlier and with fewer hang-ups and problems. The Québécois don't always like this characterization, and are annoyed by what they perceive as French condescension towards them (especially related to language, when people from France cannot - or pretend they cannot - understand their speech). In general terms though, Québécois and French get along quite well, as well as Americans get along with the British. There have been quite a few immigrants from France to Quebec in recent years, and living here you hear French accents (from France) all the time. Some of the French go back to France, but many end up staying in Quebec permanently. I know quite a few personally. Exchanges of all kinds are very common.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 PM

Thanks! This is exactly the irreverent multi-perspective view I have been looking for - I just ordered it from Amazon.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Do you have any thoughts about the following books:

The Fat Woman Next Door Is Pregnant by Michel Tremblay
Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1) by Louise Penny
National Dreams: Myth, Memory, and Canadian History by Daniel Francis

Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM

I literally just saw this - Richard Ford is on Stephen Colbert talking about his book, "Canada." In 1989 my husband and I traveled around Nova Scotia and PEI and we felt the same way.

Richard Ford - The Colbert Report - 2012-26-06 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks! This is exactly the irreverent multi-perspective view I have been looking for - I just ordered it from Amazon.
It's actually a really good book - I have read it. It is frank, and neither complacent (Quebecers are the best!) nor overly critical like many Canadian books in English about Quebec (Quebecers are a bunch of baddies!).

Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Do you have any thoughts about the following books:

The Fat Woman Next Door Is Pregnant by Michel Tremblay
Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1) by Louise Penny
National Dreams: Myth, Memory, and Canadian History by Daniel Francis
Two of the three I am not familiar with.

The only one I know of is the first by Michel Tremblay. He is probably Quebec's most acclaimed playwright, and this is one of his most famous plays.

Other famous works by Tremblay are Les Belles-Soeurs (The Sisters in Law), Albertine en cinq temps (Albertine in Five Times), À toi pour toujours, ta Marie-Lou (Forever Yours, Marilou), and Marcel poursuivi par les chiens (Marcel Pursued by the Hounds).

Some other historical political books:

Impossible Nation by Ray Conlogue
French Canadians by Michel Gratton

Movies (some contemporary, some not):

La Guerre des tuques (The Dog Who Stopped the War)
La Grande Séduction (Seducing Dr. Lewis)
The Rocket
C.R.A.Z.Y.
Léolo
Le Déclin de l'Empire américain (The Decline of the American Empire)
Les Invasions Barbares (The Barbarian Invasions)
Maelstrom
Québec-Montréal
Séraphin: un homme et son péché (Séraphin: Heart of Stone)
Maria Chapdelaine
Monsieur Lazhar
Jésus de Montréal (Jesus of Montreal)
l'Homme qui plantait des arbres (The Man who planted trees)
Bonheur d'occasion (The Tin Drum)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal