Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I actually believe quite strongly that Montreal should remain a city that functions predominantly in French.
Would you report an offense to the language laws ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Would you report an offense to the language laws ?
I might.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
(Assuming you're not lying) I'll bet it's just like the Americans in Arcade Fire wearing red squares during performances. Or this American telling Canadian anglos what to think.
People have a right to their opinion. There is no single way of anglophone thinking anymore than there is a single way of francophone thinking.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,097,591 times
Quote:
People have a right to their opinion. There is no single way of anglophone thinking anymore than there is a single way of francophone thinking.
American immigrants telling anglophone Canadians that they don't belong in Quebec's culture is offensive, sorry.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
American immigrants telling anglophone Canadians that they don't belong in Quebec's culture is offensive, sorry.
Nah, it's fine.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Did Mr. Lipson really say that in those terms? I think not.

And I any event, why do you guys always cheer and applaud when Americans chime in in support of your views, but scream "interference" when they don't see eye to eye with you?

Also noteworthy is how you guys, in the spirit of reciprocity, scrupulously refrain from commenting on internal American affairs. Right?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:55 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,097,591 times
Because one side is about artificially propping up one language at the expense of another while the other side is about just leaving people alone.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Because one side is about artificially propping up one language at the expense of another while the other side is about just leaving people alone.
If there is any language that is artificially propped up in Canada it's English in Quebec.

Anglos are maybe 5% of the population of my neighbourhood and the most common languages after French are Arabic and Portuguese, and yet there is bilingual signage (French and English), flyers and announcements everywhere.

There is much much more bilingual stuff here than in places just across the river in Ontario where francophones are 35-40% of the population.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
How many here are actually Canadian anglos currently living in Quebec?

I swear I way more debate from anglos who left Montreal years, if not decades ago, than from those who live here in Quebec right NOW.

"We" are actually adjusting quite fine, it's not that big of a deal. Maybe if you leave Quebec (or Montreal, since I find the anglos on this forum seem to act like Montreal represents the entire province), you sit there and stew and gripe about things... hyper-focusing... we're doing just fine. A few annoyances here and there, but what the heck do you expect when you are a small minority?

The only ones who have actual grief here are the ones who refuse to learn French. Well, whatever, enjoy your bubble while it lasts.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
If there is any language that is artificially propped up in Canada it's English in Quebec.

Anglos are maybe 5% of the population of my neighbourhood and the most common languages after French are Arabic and Portuguese, and yet there is bilingual signage (French and English), flyers and announcements everywhere.

There is much much more bilingual stuff here than in places just across the river in Ontario where francophones are 35-40% of the population.
Its bilingual because thats the the nature of the two official languages of Canada,we have to put French signs where there are no French and English signs where there are no English.. If you want to drop the bilingualism i doubt you'd get much flak from the English community anywhere in Canada,In fact if we dropped all the linguistic laws,bills, charters rules and regulations. you'd find out real quick which of the two languages are propped up and which one can survive on its own merits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal