Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 09:53 PM

525 posts, read 454,012 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! My family and I just came back from a trip to Montreal and I enjoyed it. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect, as I had heard some not-so-nice things about Quebec. But I found Montreal to be relatively peaceful and clean for a city. And the people were incredibly helpful and kind. Whenever we were lost or confused, someone would always come up to us and help. That's not something I usually encountered in cities here in the US. So I just wanted to thank you lovely people for making my trip so great. You're the best!

BTW, your poutine is amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 10:15 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Hi, everyone! My family and I just came back from a trip to Montreal and I enjoyed it. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect, as I had heard some not-so-nice things about Quebec. But I found Montreal to be relatively peaceful and clean for a city. And the people were incredibly helpful and kind. Whenever we were lost or confused, someone would always come up to us and help. That's not something I usually encountered in cities here in the US. So I just wanted to thank you lovely people for making my trip so great. You're the best!

Another person who learns first-hand that the classic smear job was just lies!

Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 AM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:

I'll agree with everything you said... Except for it being "peaceful." LOL. Unless you mean peaceful as in low violence-rates? I find it to be quite chaotic, actually. Not that I wouldn't expect that with over 4M people living in a relatively small space.
But yes, I also find it to be a fantastic city to visit.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:48 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,953 times
Thanks, Halcyon18 for your kind words about Montreal. I love Montreal. I now live in a 'burb on the South shore of Montreal and the people are super. Very friendly.

I've been to many other places in Canada, and tried to live in some of them, but always missed Montreal and came back to the area.

Oh, poutine is incredible - an artery-clogging gourmet's delight! Can you get it where you live? If not, you can try to make your own. I make my own sometimes, using cubes of mozzarella if I'm too cheap to buy cheese curds. The gravy is the key. Buy dry packaged brown gravy. Mmmm...now I'm hungry!

Old 01-07-2016, 12:12 PM

525 posts, read 454,012 times
I did mean peaceful as in low violent crime rates, ha ha! As a girl who has lived in a tiny town ever since I can remember, I would never describe a city as peaceful by any other definition!

And alas, I cannot get poutine where I live, but perhaps it's for the best; I'd eat my own weight in it everyday otherwise! Then again, death by poutine doesn't sound like a bad way to go.

But you would think that the US, a country that takes pride in its delicious, fatty, high-calorie foods, would be obsessed with poutine by now!

Old 01-07-2016, 12:33 PM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
I did mean peaceful as in low violent crime rates, ha ha! As a girl who has lived in a tiny town ever since I can remember, I would never describe a city as peaceful by any other definition!

And alas, I cannot get poutine where I live, but perhaps it's for the best; I'd eat my own weight in it everyday otherwise! Then again, death by poutine doesn't sound like a bad way to go.

But you would think that the US, a country that takes pride in its delicious, fatty, high-calorie foods, would be obsessed with poutine by now!
Curd cheese is outrageously expensive here, for some reason. I think that might be one of the major reasons.

I make it at home for my kids sometimes, and they love it (of course!) I have 2 stores nearby that sell curd cheese bags: $8.00/lb which doesn't last long at all. I've used mozzarella, which also works, but just isn't the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal