Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:59 PM

18 posts, read 15,310 times

Advertisements

Do you really dislike us or do you think we don't like you? Honestly I really like french Canadian culture as a southern Ontario Anglo. I really look up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 09:53 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
There isn't much hostility these days (compared to 20-30-40 years ago), but to be quite honest most French Canadians don't think much about Anglo-Canadians. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Pretty general question Bluebird, Most dont mind Anglos others hold onto notions of the past and view Anglos as former dominators/oppressors of the French culture and as a result feel the need to eradicate the Anglo culture from existence in Quebec.IMO most Anglos and Francophones get along well with not much in the way of animosity. If you are wondering the separatist issue is dead and buried and doesnt carry much weight with todays youth.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:45 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
I work in a French-language company, to their French I answer in English, having such perpendicular conversations of sorts. (the key is that I, of course, understand everything they say, as well as they understand English). Nothing happens to me, as a result. Don't feel any hostility. They ask me how to say this or that in English. I ask them how to write this or that in French. I was curious at the beginning, what was the difference of the French folk. Now I can say there is not much of a difference: take your basic polite Canadian, blow some French magic dust all over, et voilà.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:21 PM

213 posts, read 227,833 times
As a French-speaking Anglo (although not a Montrealer but a US citizen), I can honestly say I've never felt any hostility in Quebec during over 20 years of frequent visits to the province. I've had several political conversations with francophone Quebecers who were either outright separatists or softer nationalists who had issues with their place in Canada. But I've always found the people to be quite welcoming to Anglos on an individual level - provided, of course, that the Anglos in question have a basic level of respect when it comes to the local culture.

I 100% agree with jambo's comment that separatism is pretty much a non-issue for younger francophones in Quebec - at least in the cities. I don't really spend time in rural Quebec, but I gather that separatism is rather stronger in those isolated places where Anglos are only a remote abstraction.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I think Anglo Canadians generally don't realize what a treasure Quebec is and how much poorer their lives would be without Quebec in the country. From a purely political standpoint, Quebec acts as a firewall that prevents narrow-minded Anglo nationalist xenophobia a la Trump/Brexit from taking over the country - remove Quebec, and who's to say that a coalition of Alberta Harperites, Rob Ford-supporting types, and your basic rural yahoos couldn't band together to win a parliamentary majority at some point? That's very hard to do when the second-largest province: a) doesn't share the Anglo nationalist myths, and b) is so far to the left that the conservatives need to tamp down their ideology in order to compete there. For those Anglo Canadians who are liberal (with a small L), Quebec is really your safeguard. Respect it and freaking learn French already. :-P

Old 11-27-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
For those Anglo Canadians who are liberal (with a small L), Quebec is really your safeguard. Respect it and freaking learn French already. :-P
If you dont live in Quebec whats the point of learning French? i dont see where being liberal or conservative has much to do with the issue.?

Old 11-27-2016, 07:57 AM

242 posts, read 300,612 times
Quote:
This is a bit of a tangent, but I think Anglo Canadians generally don't realize what a treasure Quebec is and how much poorer their lives would be without Quebec in the country. From a purely political standpoint, Quebec acts as a firewall that prevents narrow-minded Anglo nationalist xenophobia a la Trump/Brexit from taking over the country - remove Quebec, and who's to say that a coalition of Alberta Harperites, Rob Ford-supporting types, and your basic rural yahoos couldn't band together to win a parliamentary majority at some point? That's very hard to do when the second-largest province: a) doesn't share the Anglo nationalist myths, and b) is so far to the left that the conservatives need to tamp down their ideology in order to compete there. For those Anglo Canadians who are liberal (with a small L), Quebec is really your safeguard. Respect it and freaking learn French already. :-P
Actually Quebec isn't that much of a safeguard. In 2011 Harper and his Conservatives won a majority even though Quebec voted mostly in favour of the NDP. What does learning French have to do with conservative and liberal politics?

To go back to what OP asked there isn't much of a divide between francophones and anglophones anymore. Sure you get the occasional individual who harbours resentment towards anglos but they are the exception not the rule. As others have pointed out separatism is dying here especially with the younger generations.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:17 PM

213 posts, read 227,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you dont live in Quebec whats the point of learning French? i dont see where being liberal or conservative has much to do with the issue.?
The point of learning French is because it's a key part of your country's culture, and it enables you to relate to a large group of your countrymen as equals. Of course, there's also the fact that it opens up huge doors - professional, personal, and cultural.

And politically - I'm not saying that Quebec means the Conservatives will never again win power. I'm saying that having Quebec in Confederation makes it rather harder for an ethnonationalist demagogue to take over, as in the US. Having two large populations with different foundational myths is helpful in that regard.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
The point of learning French is because it's a key part of your country's culture, and it enables you to relate to a large group of your countrymen as equals. Of course, there's also the fact that it opens up huge doors - professional, personal, and cultural.

Some get this misconception that Canada is a bilingual country,its not, French is spoken in Quebec and the rest of Canada is English.If one doesnt live in Quebec or its immediate environs you'll never hear a word of French so whats the point of learning a language you will never use.?

Old 11-28-2016, 11:57 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:

As you can plainly see, many Canadians don't give a hoot about all that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal