Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 03:25 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times

Advertisements

Well, everybody, today's the day! I hope everyone/most of you voted today. It's going to be an interesting night, does Coderre win or do we see Plante become the new mayor? One party has brought more foreign investment and economic prosperity, while the other wants to limit FDI, build a metro and have more social housing.

Results will be posted here along with a discussion after we see who prevails. I encourage everyone to participate, cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 06:46 PM

So far Valerie Plante is leading... not good.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
So far Valerie Plante is leading... not good.
Valerie is now Montreal 1st female mayor.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:37 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
Plante, who is leader of Projet Montréal, wasn't the only member of her party to score a big win — in 2013, they had borough mayors in the Plateau–Mont Royal and Rosemont–La Petite-Patrie neighbourhoods.

This time around, Projet borough mayors were elected in 11 places:

Ahuntsic-Cartierville.
Côte-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce​.
L'ÃŽle-Bizard–Sainte-Geneviève.
Lachine.
Mercier–Hochelaga-Maisonneuve.
Outremont.
Plateau–Mont Royal.
Rosemont–La Petite-Patrie.
Sud-Ouest.
Ville-Marie.
Villeray–Saint-Michel–Parc-Extension.

Projet Montréal is also in line for a majority on city council, as 34 of its candidates were elected, compared to 25 for Équipe Denis Coderre.
::clap::

Old 11-06-2017, 06:42 AM

I'm really not happy with the outcome, especially when factoring in the economic aspects, but anyways... congrats to Plante.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I'm really not happy with the outcome, especially when factoring in the economic aspects, but anyways... congrats to Plante.
. What are your reasons? Could you explain? maybe we are missing something?

Old 11-06-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
. What are your reasons? Could you explain? maybe we are missing something?
Ok, I didn't agree with Coderre with everything, BUT under him and with the Quebec Liberals in power, we had a 1+2 punch for Montreal. So under him, we grew the most economically, he was pro-business, pro-foreign investment, etc... Plante, on the other hand, wants to implement a foreign buyers tax (15%)in a city where foreign buyers don't even make up for 5%, wants to increase taxes on big business, add 40% social units in condo projects, which will most likely make developers cancell projects. Her pink line, although nice, is going to cost at least $10B, not $5-$6B like she said, and just the study period is going to take 4 years. So on a progressive side, they're great and I agree with them, but on their economic side and pro-business side, they're clueless. So as of today I'm, I wouldn't say upset, but rather disappointed and hope she proves me wrong.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 AM

676 posts, read 961,685 times

We'll see!

Old 11-06-2017, 10:01 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post

We'll see!
Wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:49 PM

676 posts, read 961,685 times
I'm trying to envision the stations shown between Mont-Royal and McGill. I think I saw Milton-Parc (McGill ghetto) mentioned somewhere. Not sure where the other would be. I guess somewhere near Saint-Laurent and des Pins. That would be useful.

That said, I think ending it at Place-des-Arts as shown here would be more economically viable than running it under Rene-Levesque and continuing to the west end. The west end portion is nice, but yeah, a metro under Rene-Levesque traversing downtown doesn't seem like it'd be worthwhile. Nice to have once there, obviously, but in terms of cost/benefit ...

I also wholeheartedly support what she said about bike lanes on Tout le monde en parle. Coderre said that Montreal *has* been expanding the bike network, and she countered that we need protected lanes, not just more lines painted on the ground. Absolutely. Coderre made a point that you can't go making bike lanes everywhere due to delivery trucks, etc, but there are more than enough streets to go around.

I hope a lot of her campaign promises come to fruition. Time will tell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal