Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 11:14 AM

124 posts, read 151,408 times

Advertisements

WVU has a billion dollar budget. The people in Charleston see that as an excess, plus, they are typically jealous of the economic development here. Look at the roads. If WVU and Morgantown are the main economic driver for the state as Gee claims, how are the roads here rated the worst in the entire state? Because the southern politics of the state still control Charleston, even after the republicans gained control, and they too care little about WVU and Morgantown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 AM

334 posts, read 495,932 times
No way in hell Justice approves of this.

And because there has to be 2/3 majority for override veto (budget only) it's gonna fall short of that.

Expect an extended session that will mirror exactly like last summer.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:32 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
WVU has a billion dollar budget. The people in Charleston see that as an excess, plus, they are typically jealous of the economic development here. Look at the roads. If WVU and Morgantown are the main economic driver for the state as Gee claims, how are the roads here rated the worst in the entire state? Because the southern politics of the state still control Charleston, even after the republicans gained control, and they too care little about WVU and Morgantown.
Bingo and spot on.

Funny thing, of that so called billion dollar budget, less than 8% actually comes from the state and if the new cuts happen, it will be even lower. Can we even call WVU a state institution anymore or should we call it a state affiliated institution like Penn State is now. The state should be given one seat on the BOG and all the rest of the seats the university should decide on. I'm so tired of this area and WVU getting the short end of the stick thanks to Charleston. I'm also beyond angry about our roads, that report showed we have by far the worst roads and the states reaction was "ehh", no improvement or change for you, in fact we canceled some of your road projects this year.

I can only imagine how angry the southern tier will be if some of the names of businesses being thrown out for WestRidge come true (think amazon and Dell).

Last edited by WVUmatt; 04-04-2017 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-04-2017, 11:05 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Bingo and spot on.

Funny thing, of that so called billion dollar budget, less than 8% actually comes from the state and if the new cuts happen, it will be even lower. Can we even call WVU a state institution anymore or should we call it a state affiliated institution like Penn State is now. The state should be given one seat on the BOG and all the rest of the seats the university should decide on. I'm so tired of this area and WVU getting the short end of the stick thanks to Charleston. I'm also beyond angry about our roads, that report showed we have by far the worst roads and the states reaction was "ehh", no improvement or change for you, in fact we canceled some of your road projects this year.

I can only imagine how angry the southern tier will be if some of the names of businesses being thrown out for WestRidge come true (think amazon and Dell).
Absolutely right. Rid us of the albatross, and let us determine our own destiny. We'd be far ahead in the process. State subsidy is used to discount in state tuition. All they are doing is insuring it is more difficult for state residents to access this state's best educational opportunities.

Demographics don't lie, and sooner or later that alone will rectify this incredibly insane situation.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:14 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Stadium to install new video board in North Endzone. It will be larger and better quality than the South Endzone one.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | New video board coming to WVU’s Puskar Stadium

Old 04-08-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Stadium to install new video board in North Endzone. It will be larger and better quality than the South Endzone one.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | New video board coming to WVU’s Puskar Stadium
Thanks for posting that!

"Everyone’s going to the bigger boards, and we’ll be close to one of the top 25 biggest boards in the country.â€

"The other option WVU ultimately accepted was a lone, centrally located board measuring 38 feet high and 98 feet long."

"If the new board is 38-by-98, the 3,724 square foot display would be larger than five others in the Big 12. WVU’s existing board is 23.5-by-85."

"Lyons said IMG will cover a “significant†share of the cost, as in more than half."

Old 04-13-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
Unlike other schools in the state, WVU's billion dollar budget has little to do with state government, which funds only around 8% (and falling) of the school's operating budget. The University has a momentum of it's own, but it depends on state subsidies to subsidize tuition for in state students seeking the very best educational opportunities the state has to offer. When those subsidies fall, it affects the ability of our state's young people to pursue their dreams and aspirations and the school has no choice but to rely on more out of state and even foreign students for funding. State government funds other schools in the neighborhood of 30% of their operating budgets, but none of the other institutions have anywhere close to the breadth or depth of offerings found at WVU.

That billion dollar budget in Morgantown results in much more of a contribution financially to the state than the meager appropriations provided the school by state government. When they reduce those appropriations, state government is cutting off it's nose to spite it's face. That giant sucking sound you hear is state government in Charleston, grabbing $4.2 billion per year while returning little to anybody else. The University, with it's less than $100 million in annual appropriations, is far and away the state's cash cow.

I agree with you that there is incredibly jealousy about our success down there and it seems they are doing everything possible to retard it. As shockingly defiant of logic as that seems, one can not deny what is clearly presented for all to see. We've been overcoming the Hatfield Clan mentality for more than 80 years though, and there is no doubt in my mind we will continue to do so in the future. Eventually, shifting demographics will help us correct the situation too.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:12 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,883,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
State government funds other schools in the neighborhood of 30% of their operating budgets, but none of the other institutions have anywhere close to the breadth or depth of offerings found at WVU.
Do you have a source for this figure?

I don't want to be argumentative but about 18 months ago I had a conversation with someone in the development office at Shepherd and was told state funds are down to almost 6% of Shepherd's overall budget.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post

I don't want to be argumentative but about 18 months ago I had a conversation with someone in the development office at Shepherd and was told state funds are down to almost 6% of Shepherd's overall budget.
Shepherd is at 15.5% as of this last year. Don't have the time to look for the other numbers, a lot of these colleges make it pretty hard to see their actual budget numbers.

Page 27 shows the numbers.

http://www.shepherd.edu/wordpress-1/...Electronic.pdf

Also page 9 is pretty interesting, it shows cost per student based on state money given. The budget number is 2017 budget vs 2015 student enrollment. I would like to see those numbers redone for 2017 enrollment, considering WVU is right around 30k students now.

Ok I found MU info, their operating budget is 119.6 million and they received 45.9 million from the state...... a staggering 38.4%

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/_rece...8c5364b65.html

WVU is at a 1.04 billion dollar budget, but receives 96 million from the state. Which works out to be around 9.6%

Last edited by WVUmatt; 04-17-2017 at 01:59 PM..

Old 04-17-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post

Shepherd takes considerably less than 30%, as Matt pointed out. The budgetary statements of all schools that receive state appropriations are available on the HEPC website. At least one school receives more than 30% of it's operating budget from state appropriations, and constantly whines that it isn't getting enough. Shepherd is not that school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown