Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:12 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times

Advertisements

Today is was walking past the former Daniels men's clothing store and saw construction activity going on inside, so I stopped by to ask a worker what was being put in there. He told me it would be a pizza shop. I'm not too thrilled about that since it would seem the last thing we need is another pizza shop, but it looks like it will be a large one with significant dining space. He didn't know what the name of the shop would be. He also said it was his understanding that apartments were being built over the top of the shop. That's a good thing, since living space downtown benefits everyone involved.

I do hope they remove the crapola front façade of the building and put something in place more appropriate. At this time, they just have boards over the openings.

The little odds and ends shop across the street (don't remember the name) is closing at the end of the month. I think a lady owns it, but I never saw much traffic going in there. It's sad to see someone's dreams not work out, but that's the nature of business. Some make it, and some don't. That is a high traffic location, and it won't be vacant long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 09:43 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,422,137 times
The original plan for Daniels was a three story addition of apartments with retail on the ground floor. There for a while, it was widely rumored that a Starbucks was going in there, which led to quite a bit of vocal opposition. Glad to hear that something else is going there, instead (granted, another duplicitous service, but one which is hopefully independently owned).

Old 06-26-2015, 06:43 AM

124 posts, read 151,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Today is was walking past the former Daniels men's clothing store and saw construction activity going on inside, so I stopped by to ask a worker what was being put in there. He told me it would be a pizza shop. I'm not too thrilled about that since it would seem the last thing we need is another pizza shop, but it looks like it will be a large one with significant dining space. He didn't know what the name of the shop would be. He also said it was his understanding that apartments were being built over the top of the shop. That's a good thing, since living space downtown benefits everyone involved.

I do hope they remove the crapola front façade of the building and put something in place more appropriate. At this time, they just have boards over the openings.

The little odds and ends shop across the street (don't remember the name) is closing at the end of the month. I think a lady owns it, but I never saw much traffic going in there. It's sad to see someone's dreams not work out, but that's the nature of business. Some make it, and some don't. That is a high traffic location, and it won't be vacant long.
A friend told me it may be another Pizza Al's

Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 AM

354 posts, read 505,926 times
i just hope the original rumor is true about adding height, but I would put money on it not happening.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:33 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
i just hope the original rumor is true about adding height, but I would put money on it not happening.
It may happen -- they originally wanted a 5 story structure, but changed it to 4. I'm pretty sure that building code only allows stickbuilt structures to go 4 stories, and once they realized this, they had to scale back. I'm not saying that I fully expect them to build upward, but the evidence indicates 50/50 chance.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:55 AM

The worker I spoke with yesterday indicated that apartments overhead were anticipated. That's all I know.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:39 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
I have always liked this building, so I'm hoping that the character of the building doesn't change too drastically.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:46 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I have always liked this building, so I'm hoping that the character of the building doesn't change too drastically.
http://www.morgantownwv.gov/wp-conte...igh-Street.pdf

Here's the original planning submission. Not much character but they can't all be prized ponies...

Old 06-27-2015, 02:31 PM

491 posts, read 610,633 times
As long as the hideous, Brady bunch 60s looking facade is gone I'm happy

Old 06-28-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
As long as the hideous, Brady bunch 60s looking facade is gone I'm happy
That façade really is a case of 1960s bad taste architecture, much like some of the fake French stuff you see with the weird roofs and recessed windows. I hope they get rid of that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown