Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times

Advertisements

The Morgantown area's economic growth again ranks in the top 8%
of the Nation:

Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - Business - Morgantown 29th in growth *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 10:18 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
It's good to see the GDP continue to expand there. Why wasn't Huntington listed in the article? I see Charleston grew 1.7% in GDP.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:38 PM

4,958 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Not surprising that a Charleston paper would forget Huntington. FYI Huntington's GDP grew .7% and was ranked 200 for growth and 180 overall. Still the 2nd highest in WV for total GDP.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:57 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
The actual fact is this:

Morgantown is stalling...on the verge of over building in the mega housing sector.

Builders and banks are trying to keep hot air in the expansion balloon...but hundreds of apartments and condos lie vacant...this year will tell the tale of reality.

Growth has been steady, but the coming year will show an abrupt halt to this housing expansion.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:41 AM

20 posts, read 56,535 times
GDP only growth is from the massive government spending.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
The actual fact is this:

Morgantown is stalling...on the verge of over building in the mega housing sector.

Builders and banks are trying to keep hot air in the expansion balloon...but hundreds of apartments and condos lie vacant...this year will tell the tale of reality.

Growth has been steady, but the coming year will show an abrupt halt to this housing expansion.
I don't know, Kennedy. Maybe this year will bring about a stalling in housing construction but I don't see that happening yet. They just broke ground on a massive project about 2 miles out Van Voorhis between there and West Run. I think the houses get taken by people associated with new research positions. And, you said people are not staying after graduation but that is changing. Morgantown still has three full pages of help wanted ads on Sundays... almost as many as the New York Times. I think you are off base there. I think a slowing is natural given the overall economy, but I don't think the expansion stops.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
I hope the expansion continues...new practice facility for the WVU basketball team and Lady Mountaineers is fully funded...25 million...will sit behind he Colliseum and over look the river.

Hope they dedicate a portion to that great retired Cheerleading Coach from Marion County...
was so good WVU brought her out of retirement for 5 years...don't think I can name her in this post..

Mrs. B M...

Thanks Bobbi...remembering what Mr. Pas***ng said..."Bobbi IS WVU...her persona, her integrity...she is the ideal we all stand for..." conversation at Muriales one evening...

Getting back to the topic at hand...
Medical Research is here in a big way..and more to come...3 more facilities..

Perhaps you are right about future housing needs...but I speak with a lot of guys who are not working in construction and related skills and they are almost giving up....(and the cheap working, invisible illegal Mexicans ARE causing a problem).

A contractor on Sunday said , "They have opened the floodgates for them...no accountablilty...nobody to stop them."

Old 09-28-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I hope the expansion continues...new practice facility for the WVU basketball team and Lady Mountaineers is fully funded...25 million...will sit behind he Colliseum and over look the river.

Hope they dedicate a portion to that great retired Cheerleading Coach from Marion County...
was so good WVU brought her out of retirement for 5 years...don't think I can name her in this post..

Mrs. B M...

Thanks Bobbi...remembering what Mr. Pas***ng said..."Bobbi IS WVU...her persona, her integrity...she is the ideal we all stand for..." conversation at Muriales one evening...

Getting back to the topic at hand...
Medical Research is here in a big way..and more to come...3 more facilities..

Perhaps you are right about future housing needs...but I speak with a lot of guys who are not working in construction and related skills and they are almost giving up....(and the cheap working, invisible illegal Mexicans ARE causing a problem).

A contractor on Sunday said , "They have opened the floodgates for them...no accountablilty...nobody to stop them."
Somebody needs to get to the Sheriff and city officials about the illegal alien problem before it gets out of hand. I have lived in the northern NYC suburbs for many years and have seen the destructive results of that. I realize that with the current regime in Washington there is little support for making things better (or the past regime for that matter... the elitists always want to shove stupidity in the form of "social engineering" down our throats), but much can be done with law enforcement support to curtail the problem.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio is doing a great job in Arizona, and the Sheriff of Ohio County has essentially run the illegals out of there with enforcement activity. They need to get on board in Monongalia.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:26 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Are we certain that illegal workers pose that much of a threat in the trades? I know of several contractors that used 'legal' labor in the EP. I'm sure some portion are undocumented, but I'm also sure a lot of them are okay.

And most of the workers I met that used to excavate landscape rock in Hampshire County worked their tails off. Very good folks.

Sometimes anecdotal 'evidence' is used to convince us the problem is larger than it seems. Not saying that this is the case, but frequently it becomes the panacea for what ills you.

Now in the poultry industry- that's a well documented and discovered case. But that's endemic to that sector of the economy nationally.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Are we certain that illegal workers pose that much of a threat in the trades? I know of several contractors that used 'legal' labor in the EP. I'm sure some portion are undocumented, but I'm also sure a lot of them are okay.

And most of the workers I met that used to excavate landscape rock in Hampshire County worked their tails off. Very good folks.

Sometimes anecdotal 'evidence' is used to convince us the problem is larger than it seems. Not saying that this is the case, but frequently it becomes the panacea for what ills you.

Now in the poultry industry- that's a well documented and discovered case. But that's endemic to that sector of the economy nationally.
Maybe you haven't had the chance to see first hand what happens when they get a foothold. In the northern NYC area, they work for $80 per day. They afford the costs in the high cost area by living 20 to 30 people to an appartment sleeping in shifts, or they "comute" in a van from a low rent district with one legal immigrant transporting the illegal aliens for a cut of their daily pay. They pay NO taxes on their wages, and send most of the money they make out of the country to relatives in Mexico or Guatamala.

If the individual is a female, they are potentially the most destructive. The first thing they generally try to do when they get across the border is get pregnant so they can have the "anchor baby", and thus tap into the already overburdened social service system for welfare and food stamps, as well as any other taxpayer funded program they can weasel into. You see, we have perhaps the only civilized country in the world that has a stupid law on the books that makes anyone born on American soil a citizen even if that child has no American citizen parent. The kid is then automatically "entitled" to every benefit.

Illegal aliens commit up to 40% of all crime in many areas of the country and they fill the criminal justice system. They add to everyone's tax burden by getting free medical care in emergency rooms and have in many cases literally taken over large portions of towns making them unsafe for other resident and the residents' children. Go to Brewster, NY next time you are in the area and see what can happen to a once proud village. At night, drunken Mexicans congregate on the streets and locals stay indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown