Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:15 AM

529 posts, read 2,394,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
why should a builder have such right to kepp such money if the buyer can no longer pay a mortgage payemnt due to unpredictable/unforseen events. perhaps the builder should hurry up and build the home in 2 months instead of 7 !!
Home_Kid,

Like Karla explained (nice information post btw), you need to check the financing portion of the contract you signed. There is almost always a section that basically says if you cannot obtain financing the contract becomes voided and you get your earnest deposit back.

It sounds like this applies to you, but check the contract to make sure. Were you provided a Good Faith Estimate (GFE) from the lender before signing the contract? If so, it should state the mortgage terms (rate/length, etc) as well as all associated costs. If you no longer have a job then you probably won't qualify for a mortgage (what lender would loan money to someone with no job? - not a knock on you, just explaining)

But to go back to your original question, no, there is no FEDERAL law that obligates a seller to give you back your earnest deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 07:50 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Home_Kid,

Like Karla explained (nice information post btw), you need to check the financing portion of the contract you signed. There is almost always a section that basically says if you cannot obtain financing the contract becomes voided and you get your earnest deposit back.

It sounds like this applies to you, but check the contract to make sure. Were you provided a Good Faith Estimate (GFE) from the lender before signing the contract? If so, it should state the mortgage terms (rate/length, etc) as well as all associated costs. If you no longer have a job then you probably won't qualify for a mortgage (what lender would loan money to someone with no job? - not a knock on you, just explaining)

But to go back to your original question, no, there is no FEDERAL law that obligates a seller to give you back your earnest deposit.
we checked the sales contract. they basically screwed us. the contract reads that after a lender's loan approval they [builder] can keep the earnest money even if i [buyer] can not secure a loan prior to closing.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:04 AM

529 posts, read 2,394,678 times
Quote:
we checked the sales contract. they basically screwed us. the contract reads that after a lender's loan approval they [builder] can keep the earnest money even if i [buyer] can not secure a loan prior to closing.
Very unfortunate to hear this..

If there is one thing the builder is good at it is covering their butts.. Just for situations like this.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but for anyone reading this please be sure to have a RE attorney read over a contract before you sign it.

Home_Kid, I'm curious, did you have a Realtor represent you in this process?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
I would still check with your state laws......some states require lenders/builders NOT to charge non-refundable fees

Old 12-13-2007, 01:44 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
Quote:
maybe it is just me but I would have a attorney because that statement kinda of contradicts itself.

Right before closing the lender pulls another credit report and confirms everything if you have lost your job and have no income there is no way underwriting will sign off.
It is worth having someone look .

karla
p.s.
thanks for the nice words Michael.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:08 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
maybe it is just me but I would have a attorney because that statement kinda of contradicts itself.

Right before closing the lender pulls another credit report and confirms everything if you have lost your job and have no income there is no way underwriting will sign off.
It is worth having someone look .

karla
p.s.
thanks for the nice words Michael.
lender and builder are two different entities. the builder got earnest money. in the builder's contract it reads as i say. so even if the lender balks on lending at the last minute the builder can keep the earnest $$$. this is why it is completely ridiculous that a builder can write "we have up to 24 months to complete the home" in their contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages