Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 03:12 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times

Advertisements

I heard that the IRS and others are starting to look into some of the cash back deals that fueled the fire. Anyone hear anything about this or is it just rumor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 04:46 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
OK, let me summarize the gist of this thread. If everyone is now in it for themselves and their family alone, if foreclosing really is just a business decision and emotions, morals and values have no place in the mix and if we choose to define a purely capitalistic society as one where walking away is not only the smart, but the logical, move (especially when you can buy a new second home for less and leave someone else paying for the first), then we can follow the logic to some more money-saving conclusions. For starters...

... welfare, food stamps and all public assistance are bad business decisions. Per capitalism, you should sink or swim. No one has any moral obligation to help you. That's what your family is for. If you're Section 8, please mail in your keys. (Wow, we have freed up a ton of money to help pay for all that foreclosing.)

... unemployment should be banished. Immediately. Why should anybody pay you anything once you walk away? Or for that matter, are booted away. You're on your own. Sowwy-- it's just business. Maybe your family can help. (Recession averted. Companies will now have a lot of freed-up money to spend, plus they can get rid of all that dead weight without financial repercussions.)

...why should people who don't have school-age kids pay for schools? You have them; you pay their freight. Don't expect others to help out when their family (#1) would rather have a new hot tub than educate your little dependents. And, hey, that tax deduction for dependents should disappear, too. It takes money away from the government and we need every penny to help cover the costs all that walking away. Continuing to subsidize OPO (Other People's Offspring) is a poor business decision and it completely defies logic, when all those new hot tubs would jumpstart the economy. (Ka-ching!)

Hmmm... this whole "it's all about my family; you take care of yours" thing might not be so bad, after all. It just might reduce that pesky deficit, which would certainly be a smart business decision.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:23 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,052 times
^^
So if there was no unemployment, no public schools, no public assistance does that mean I would no longer have to pay taxes and keep more of my money?

Old 04-10-2008, 06:02 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
^^
So if there was no unemployment, no public schools, no public assistance does that mean I would no longer have to pay taxes and keep more of my money?
No, you anarchist! The government needs your money to perpetuate itself.
Please consider this a warning to cease with your revolutionary, albeit rational ideas. This type of radical logic may spread to other citizens. We will be contacting you soon to explain how much of your money we decide it will be appropriate for you to keep.....and another thing, do not attempt to call a moderator. We are listening on your phone line.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:12 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
No, you anarchist! The government needs your money to perpetuate itself.
Please consider this a warning to cease with your revolutionary, albeit rational ideas. This type of radical logic may spread to other citizens. We will be contacting you soon to explain how much of your money we decide it will be appropriate for you to keep.....and another thing, do not attempt to call a moderator. We are listening on your phone line.
I thought I heard a clicking sound on my phone. I thought it was because I was warming a bottle in the microwave.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
OK, let me summarize the gist of this thread. If everyone is now in it for themselves and their family alone, if foreclosing really is just a business decision and emotions, morals and values have no place in the mix and if we choose to define a purely capitalistic society as one where walking away is not only the smart, but the logical, move (especially when you can buy a new second home for less and leave someone else paying for the first), then we can follow the logic to some more money-saving conclusions. For starters...

... welfare, food stamps and all public assistance are bad business decisions. Per capitalism, you should sink or swim. No one has any moral obligation to help you. That's what your family is for. If you're Section 8, please mail in your keys. (Wow, we have freed up a ton of money to help pay for all that foreclosing.)

... unemployment should be banished. Immediately. Why should anybody pay you anything once you walk away? Or for that matter, are booted away. You're on your own. Sowwy-- it's just business. Maybe your family can help. (Recession averted. Companies will now have a lot of freed-up money to spend, plus they can get rid of all that dead weight without financial repercussions.)

...why should people who don't have school-age kids pay for schools? You have them; you pay their freight. Don't expect others to help out when their family (#1) would rather have a new hot tub than educate your little dependents. And, hey, that tax deduction for dependents should disappear, too. It takes money away from the government and we need every penny to help cover the costs all that walking away. Continuing to subsidize OPO (Other People's Offspring) is a poor business decision and it completely defies logic, when all those new hot tubs would jumpstart the economy. (Ka-ching!)

Hmmm... this whole "it's all about my family; you take care of yours" thing might not be so bad, after all. It just might reduce that pesky deficit, which would certainly be a smart business decision.
Irrational and totally bolluxed up analysis. Vast confusion of the duties and capbilities of states versus individuals. A lack of understanding to the differences between a contract and social committments that we chose to make. Does not understand the nature of insurance.

Just a quite irrational argument by someone who dislikes the obvious outcome.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:38 PM

olecapt--

Have you ever heard of tongue-in-cheek? Parody? Lampoon? Sense of humor? Please re-read the post sloooooooooooooooowly enough so that YOU can understand. If necessary, ask someone to explain "sense of humor" to you. The person who is irrational, totally bolluxed up, confused and not understanding is you. It wasn't an "analysis," it was a joke. J-O-K-E.

You don't have to think it's funny, but the ability to at least recognize a little levity or crack a smile does come in handy in life. People's posts aren't term papers, for you to grade. Put your red pen away, check your ego and lighten up, man!

Last edited by goodbyehollywood; 04-10-2008 at 08:46 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 10:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
olecapt--

Have you ever heard of tongue-in-cheek? Parody? Lampoon? Sense of humor? Please re-read the post sloooooooooooooooowly enough so that YOU can understand. If necessary, ask someone to explain "sense of humor" to you. The person who is irrational, totally bolluxed up, confused and not understanding is you. It wasn't an "analysis," it was a joke. J-O-K-E.

You don't have to think it's funny, but the ability to at least recognize a little levity or crack a smile does come in handy in life. People's posts aren't term papers, for you to grade. Put your red pen away, check your ego and lighten up, man!
Well you got me on that one. The problem around here is that even a good parody is inside the normal range.

Even on re-reading it you are simply too close to a well established belief system to make it as a parody.

Parody of this sort requires you push it to an absurd point. Unfortunately in this context that may not be possible.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:12 PM

Well, you nailed it-- most comedy does have a kernel of truth at the core. That's what makes people laugh; they see something they can relate to.

I was simply trying to make the point-- apparently, badly-- that many things can be considered business decisions and if we look at them from a purely self-centered standpoint with that as the only variable, we would live in a very different and far less desirable world. And you're right-- few will find that a funny place.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:54 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I think your friend is an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages