Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 01:51 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

When applying for a loan, can you simply ask for a pre-approval letter with an amount below the lender's actual limit, in order to avoid being pressured by RE agents into spending more money? Like if the lender is willing to go to $460K, can I just ask them to write $360K instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 05:12 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Yes, you can.
If the lender declines or pressures you, you just have the wrong lender.

Now...
A preapproval for the offer price amount is sometimes misconstrued as a buyer punching at the top of their weight class, and some sellers will react more favorably to a higher preapproval amount, assuming the buyers' resources make them more comfortable with the purchase.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:44 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
When applying for a loan, can you simply ask for a pre-approval letter with an amount below the lender's actual limit, in order to avoid being pressured by RE agents into spending more money? Like if the lender is willing to go to $460K, can I just ask them to write $360K instead?
Yes. I did.

I had "Big Real Estate Company's" finance people pressuring me into buying more than I wanted. "You have a good salary! You can afford more!"

But I was already in my 50s and would be paying a mortgage in retirement. I wanted what I could afford on my projected pension.

Finally I went to a guy at a normal bank that someone recommended, and he said, "How much do you want your monthly payment to be?" I got a more realistic preapproval, and what I bought was $45k below it.

And I am glad because it was 2010, prices were still dropping, and they didn't go back up for a while.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:03 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I don't understand why this is a question.

I have never ever shown a client a house they didn't want to look at.

I have never tried to talk a client into seeing a house that is more than they want to pay.

If you have an agent who isn't respecting your budget or tries to talk you into places you don't want, speak clearly to him/her, and if that doesn't work, find another agent.

As a practical matter, we usually get approval letters for specific properties, with the offer date and the offer price on them. They seem more prepared and engaged than a generic letter written a month ago.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:44 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

I have never tried to talk a client into seeing a house that is more than they want to pay.

If you have an agent who isn't respecting your budget or tries to talk you into places you don't want, speak clearly to him/her, and if that doesn't work, find another agent.

As a practical matter, we usually get approval letters for specific properties, with the offer date and the offer price on them. They seem more prepared and engaged than a generic letter written a month ago.
I didn't think that the OP was talking about their own real estate agent, but rather the selling agent and/or a finance group connected to the selling agent's real estate company. My real estate agent certainly wasn't pushing me to buy what I didn't want. But, my real estate agent had nothing to do with how I was going to finance it. In fact, after talking to these Big RE Agency Finance People, I asked him if he had any ideas about where I could go to talk to someone about a mortgage, and he gave me the name of two bankers he had dealt with in the past. The first one I called made an appointment with me, LISTENED, and eventually that's where I got my mortgage.

Of course the finance arm of a real estate agency is going to want you to buy bigger.

ETA: I twice encountered these types when I went to open houses to scope out various townhouse complexes. My RE agent wasn't with me, but they had the finance people there and steered you to them. Because I knew absolutely nothing about mortgages, I sat down with them. It was a learning experience.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't think that the OP was talking about their own real estate agent, but rather the selling agent and/or a finance group connected to the selling agent's real estate company. My real estate agent certainly wasn't pushing me to buy what I didn't want. But, my real estate agent had nothing to do with how I was going to finance it. In fact, after talking to these Big RE Agency Finance People, I asked him if he had any ideas about where I could go to talk to someone about a mortgage, and he gave me the name of two bankers he had dealt with in the past. The first one I called made an appointment with me, LISTENED, and eventually that's where I got my mortgage.

Of course the finance arm of a real estate agency is going to want you to buy bigger.

ETA: I twice encountered these types when I went to open houses to scope out various townhouse complexes. My RE agent wasn't with me, but they had the finance people there and steered you to them. Because I knew absolutely nothing about mortgages, I sat down with them. It was a learning experience.
Certainly, some agents will pressure their own clients to raise their price point.
It is shameful, but it happens.

And, I also believe the OP's question easily could have concerned an agent on the other side of the table.

"Mr. and Mrs. Seller, the preapproval is $90,000 higher than the offer price. You can probably squeeze more out of the buyers with a counter."
This is definitely a concern for some buyers.

Personally, I would not give a preapproval letter that revealed my full capability to buy.
1. Too much debt.
2. Too much revealed to the other side of the transaction.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:50 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
in order to avoid being pressured by RE agents into spending more money?
Aren't you capable of saying "no"?

Old 08-25-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Aren't you capable of saying "no"?
"No?" As in "No Deal," when the objective probably starts with procuring a property?

What advantage do you see in turning all your cards face up in a price negotiation, Jack?
I don't really see any advantage.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:21 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

You may not have but there are plenty of agents who do. "Stretch price" and all, you know.

Old 08-28-2023, 08:15 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
I insist borrowers call me so that I can match my letter to their offer. They do have a just-in-case letter, but it's rare I cannot get to a computer within a couple hours. Usually they know 24 hours in advance they are going to write, and by the time they decide what to offer, I am at my computer. There are some borrowers I've written a dozen letters over the past year on various properties, then borrower's caught in escalation, where I've written additional letters as highest and best is exhausted.

My letter states that a written loan commitment exists (if it does) and not once has anyone asked to see the loan commitment in lieu of my letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages