Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:04 AM

12 posts, read 40,563 times

Advertisements

I had a question about PMI (which I think is actually just called MI because we're getting an FHA loan). From what I understand, we'll have to pay MI until we have 20% equity in the home. My question is, if the house appraises for more money than what we paid for it, does that count towards our equity? Or do we have to pay towards 20% of our mortgage to get rid of it? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 08:19 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
FHA requires 5yrs of payments or when the loan reaches 78% LTV from the AMORTIZATION SCHEDULE.

This means even if the home appraises to twice the value you bought it for..you will STILL have to pay 5yrs or 78% ltv.

MI is only 0.5% of your loan amount which is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHomeBuyer View Post
I had a question about PMI (which I think is actually just called MI because we're getting an FHA loan). From what I understand, we'll have to pay MI until we have 20% equity in the home. My question is, if the house appraises for more money than what we paid for it, does that count towards our equity? Or do we have to pay towards 20% of our mortgage to get rid of it? Thanks

Old 06-20-2008, 12:45 PM

73 posts, read 250,887 times
Correct -- even if you were to contract in an FHA-insured product at 50%LTV for some reason, you'd still be paying 'MI' from the start for 5-yrs term. This arrangement is part of the insurance-risk equation, instead of the 80% (or so) industry standard for other insurers.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 40,563 times
If we have to pay MI for 5 years, we're allowed to refinance before than if we want, right? And that way we'll get rid of the MI sooner.

We're pretty much only doing FHA because the builder is giving us down payment assistance through Ameri-dream. Otherwise, we would have done with another mortgage option. And from what they told us, in order to receive that money, we have to use an FHA mortgage.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:56 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
yep you would need to refi out of FHA

Quote:
If we have to pay MI for 5 years, we're allowed to refinance before than if we want, right? And that way we'll get rid of the MI sooner.

We're pretty much only doing FHA because the builder is giving us down payment assistance through Ameri-dream. Otherwise, we would have done with another mortgage option. And from what they told us, in order to receive that money, we have to use an FHA mortgage.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:10 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:

It sounds like you are going $0 down. With that in mind you will probalby be paying MI/PMI for the 5 years or more no matter what loan you do unless you either expect major appreciation or plan on knocking down the principal by paying more than your regularirly scheduled payments.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:10 PM

37 posts, read 223,157 times
Clarification needed:

What you say is a little different from what I've been told. I trust you more than the person who told me otherwise, and it is one more reason to be glad we found anther lender! But, for the next time we're in this bizarre mortgage world, * I want to know the real deal!!

We were going to do an FHA loan (were told that was the ONLY thing that would work for us) with 15% down. Within a couple of months after closing we estimated, and for SURE within 6 months no problem, we would have the loan down to 78% by paying on the principal early. Our loan officer knew the whole point of this was to not have to pay PMI any longer than necessary. Had we been able to close one month later we more than likely would have had 80% down, but we did not have 1 month to wait before we had to be out of our current rental. (Bad timing, right?!) BUT, based on what you're saying, even if we had paid the principal down early, we would not have been able to cancel MIP until the amortization schedule put us at 78%? So early payment would NOT get rid of the MIP with an FHA loan?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:25 PM

37 posts, read 223,157 times
let me also say that when we thought we were going FHA I pulled up FHA's MIP info from their website, and didn't remember seeing that myself, about the 78% by amortization schedule. I *really* try to research the mortgage process so I know more what's happening, if that's possible in today's market! Is it possible an FHA approved lender would forget to tell me that our plans to pay down to 78% weren't worthwhile? Everybody's human, and there's so many details in this industry, so I could easily understand forgetting something, especially if it's an arcane detail that doesn't usually come up with the standard borrower.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:33 PM

73 posts, read 250,887 times
The builder isn't giving you down-payment assistance through Ameri-Dream -- the builder's lender-of-choice is simply positioning you to receive it. Any FHA-insured lender can get this for you. The 15% you state isn't all Ameri-Dream money, is it?

Any 80%+ loan requires some additional insurance, either PMI or MI, or LPMI -- meaning the rate includes the insurance amortized over the full term. Also, you may get a prorated portion of your upfront MIP payment returned, which is required on all FHA mortgages, if you pay off the loan within 5 years -- you can get this money back.

Read the facts from the government:
hud.gov/buying/index.cfm

Old 06-23-2008, 05:47 PM

12 posts, read 35,468 times
Default Loan Officer

Per FHA the loan must be at or below 78% AND 5 years of payments unless on a 15 year mortgage.

Directly from FHA, "[SIZE=3]Those loans reaching the 78 percent loan to value threshold sooner than projected (but not sooner than five years from the date of origination except for 15-year term mortgages) due to advanced payments of principal will have the annual premium collections canceled upon the servicing lender submitting supporting information to FHA following the borrower's request provided that the borrower has not been more than 30 days delinquent on the mortgage during the previous twelve months."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3](see full instrutions at http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudclips/letters/mortgagee/00-46ml.doc (broken link))[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages