Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,457 times

Advertisements

That the seller does not own fully? We are looking to do an owner finance house, obviously becuase we do not qualify for a loan through normal channels. What i would like to know can a seller who still has a mortage on the property turn around and do an owner contract to us?

Also has anybody heard of people who do this for a living. Maybe someone who would be willing to buy a house that we pick out, then turn around and immidietly re-sell to us on an owner contract?

Just to answer the questions that i know will come The reason we are looking to do an OF is we are filing bankruptcy. We overspent not thinking that the market was going to take a dump. Now are ARM adjust always up and the house we are in went down in value. So we owe more than the house is worth.
We can come up with a sizable down payment and figured we would let the mortage company have this house (since they are so proud of it raising our ARM every 6 months), and start over. We thought long and hard about the bankruptcy thing but with the economy it doesnt make any sence to not use it to get out of the house.

Anyway, thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
the problem with this is

What if the owner stops making payments on his home?
The bank will take the house, and will not honor your contract.

It is RARE that the 2nd or 3rd lien holders get to see any money after the home is sold.

I would look into repairing/restoring your credit, and reapplying for a mortgage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaTom View Post
That the seller does not own fully? We are looking to do an owner finance house, obviously becuase we do not qualify for a loan through normal channels. What i would like to know can a seller who still has a mortage on the property turn around and do an owner contract to us?

Also has anybody heard of people who do this for a living. Maybe someone who would be willing to buy a house that we pick out, then turn around and immidietly re-sell to us on an owner contract?

Just to answer the questions that i know will come The reason we are looking to do an OF is we are filing bankruptcy. We overspent not thinking that the market was going to take a dump. Now are ARM adjust always up and the house we are in went down in value. So we owe more than the house is worth.
We can come up with a sizable down payment and figured we would let the mortage company have this house (since they are so proud of it raising our ARM every 6 months), and start over. We thought long and hard about the bankruptcy thing but with the economy it doesnt make any sence to not use it to get out of the house.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:26 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,126 times
there are people who do this and may offer this for a place that isnt selling. you will still have to put down 10% or whatever they require. another thing is a friend of mine knows a guy who makes a living off "selling" his homes thru owner financing, taking a down payment and monthly payments with no intentions of ever selling the houses and targets people with bad credit and that will make late payments. 1 late payment he takes the house back. its all in the contract. make sure you still have an EXPERIENCED real estate agent and attourney look over any documents you sign for owner financing so you understand the stipulations.

but people are offering "OF" a lot right now, since places arent selling, its a way to at least get the mortgage paid.

you can also use a lease option, which is a lease with an option to buy. after 12-24 months depending on bank, you can "refinance into your actual purchase, thus using equity in the property and getting a better rate". make sure you also pay with checks and keep records of them.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Frankly, you're a terrible credit risk. I'd be wary that anyone who is willing to do an OF with you is (like brokerdave mentions) just hoping that you'll be late on a payment so that they can take the house back from you.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 AM

127 posts, read 427,531 times
Quote:

Ok, here we go again... So you are filing bankruptcy to get out of your mortgage obligations yet you want to jump right back into another mortgage? (banging head against wall). And call me crazy, but if you are able to come up with a sizable downpayment, wouldn't you be obligated to put that towards the exisitng mortgage that you are trying to get out of?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Mentioning that you "owe more than the house is worth" doesn't make any sense. You only lose money if you SELL when the price is less than you owe.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

IMO you are just digging a deeper hole for yourself and your family.
A loss on paper is not a loss until realized (i.e. actually sell the house for less).

You are letting this economy rule your decisions ? If you don't NEED to sell then just live there and pay your mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages