Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,925,903 times

Advertisements

Bad, BAD idea. Remember how well free housing has worked for Katrina "victims"? Yeah, bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 AM

27,218 posts, read 46,796,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
So you know every single person's situation, huh? Wow, it must be a full time job poking around into everyone's business. How do you manage to have a REAL job?

HOW will it be determined and WHO will determine who is foreclosing due to illness, loss of job, and just not paying anymore because they made a poor choice? Where is the line drawn?

I honestly cannot understand your kind of thinking, it has so many holes and fantasies and I am so glad you are not a person that has any power to try and pull off something as ludicrous as this. You sound like you would have been very good at ruling under Hitler. The fact that you think this is a good idea is totally scary and unnerving.

Again, you never answered...why not become part of the solution and offer up your home (or a room in your home) for an Ike victim????? Now THAT would be something to be proud of instead of spouting off nonsense about things you know nothing about.
I do pay everything I have to pay and have people staying in my houses and do pay taxes, property taxes , Hoa, etc...and I don't have a mortgage so I'm not one who is using tax payers money for my own things...
I never asked for a hand out but worked for my money and never had a car loan, but paid for a car.....I'm not judging others, only the people who advise others to walk away or just stop paying....and many can pay but just think it isn't worth it anymore!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:10 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Yes, you most certainly ARE judging others. You can't say you aren't in one post and say how people should be kicked out in another because they aren't as wonderful as you. The only shoes you are walking in are your own....you are the only person who you know 100%.....not anyone else.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 AM

897 posts, read 2,826,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Bad, BAD idea. Remember how well free housing has worked for Katrina "victims"? Yeah, bad idea.
Agreed. Weeding out the good / bad candidates for this entitlement would be a fiasco.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:03 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,472,803 times
I don't think this is necessarily a terrible idea as long as the government was not involved. FEMA, federal, and state governments should not be a part of this because frankly, the government would screw it up. There are Katrina victims who are STILL in government trailers. The bank who owns these foreclosed homes more than likely do NOT want to get involved in the rental business and no one should force them into it - it's costly, especially when people are allowed to live in a home for "free". We create world class spongers when we help people TOO much.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 PM

there are even 4 empty houses in my street in a street of 12 homes...and not one is listed for sale...so places enough to help these people....but I guess we have to wait untill more banks go file for bancruptcy and more people who are in charge are walking away with a couple of million as the walk away as CEO, while others have not even a roof over their head and others are living for free while filled out mortgage papers with lying on them...or mortgage lenders who just gave out mortgages without even having checked if things are correct and to people who couldn't afford it anyway.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:46 PM

897 posts, read 2,826,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
We create world class spongers when we help people TOO much.
That is exactly why it would not work. We are talking about two very different types of "victims" here. The majority of the ones that would take advantage of such an offer would be the spongers that you mention. Lets not forget where the bulk of these properties are probably located. The ones that these banks/property owners would be glad to help out have friends, family, financial means, etc. to get them through this disaster.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:49 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,919,147 times
it just has to be instituted with military precision. monthly check-ins and walk throughs etc.

just like if we wanted national health care, the military would have to do it. otherwise it would just be chaos.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:55 PM

At least these empty houses that are not even listed are used to help people who really need it and I assume the people in Texas need houses for many month to come, since it is all gone and a huge mess....why not helping these people...The house next to me is empty since Sept. last year and in Nov. the people gave back the keys to the mortgage company and at that point stopped paying the mortgage....before they tried to sell the house with numerous realtors and for way higher than the builder is building the same model...so all these professionals couldn't figure out that you have to list it for similar or less than the new construction...no they asked $ 70 K more....no wonder no one is interested!

Old 09-19-2008, 04:57 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,930,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
not a bad idea, perhaps some sort of FEMA supplement could work with it.
very very bad idea. no soup for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages