Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,996,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Good for you. Sometimes I'll sit through a complete cycle and then run it. Other times, I'll just turn right on red and make a U-turn, then turn right again to get through the light.

(Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.)
Nice one Cat...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,393,577 times
So if bicyclists and motorcyclists are allowed to go through a red light presumably if its safe to do so why not all forms of traffic? as i dont see the point in sitting at a red light for 2 minutes when there isnt another car in site.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,704,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So if bicyclists and motorcyclists are allowed to go through a red light presumably if its safe to do so why not all forms of traffic? as i dont see the point in sitting at a red light for 2 minutes when there isnt another car in site.
This is the price of being a "cager" (car owner).

As a die hard cyclist I'm all for safely 'running' a red light!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,188,744 times
Quote:
Personally, I'm not against anyone being able to treat a redlight as a STOP sign so long as the situation permits it to be done safely (like at 2AM when you some how STILL manage to hit every redlight in town despite being the only person out there). But I'm sure you see the difficulties a motorcyclist has in this situation. While it's an inconvenience for a cager to have to wait, sometimes the light simply never changes for a motorcycle.

Mike

Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Do you find traffic controlls don't SEE your car? They see my car, but they sometimes don't See my 940 pound motorcycle. The result is the light will never change to green for me.

Now does that really happen to you in your car? Most riders are not going to pull up to a red light and just go. They will wait for a change and discover there is not going to be any change untill maybe a car comes along, and is seen.

Most riders won't go on Green either, They tend to delay moving for last minute red light runners. You better not rear end one.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Good for you. Sometimes I'll sit through a complete cycle and then run it. Other times, I'll just turn right on red and make a U-turn, then turn right again to get through the light.

(Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.)

What I do.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:19 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,178,358 times
This is just a common sense law. Those of us who ride motorcycles know that some vehicle detectors won't detect motorcycles or bikes and can sit through what could be 2 or 3 light cycles without getting the expected green light.
So does law enforcement.
It doesn't mean you are allowed to pull up to a red light, whether on a bike or in a cage, wait 5 seconds and run the red light.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 AM

In NH there sometimes, well, most of the time no way to make 3 right turns, and most often I want to make a left turn, and am very far from making any right turn parked for a red light. Locally there is 2 traffic lights that catch me in this problem. One is 7 miles out, the other nearly 20 miles out. There are no other traffic light that do green, yellow, and red for more miles out.

There are no other roads to select either.

One road right out of town is so seldom used I can ride it for 1 hour and see more bear and moose than I will cages. That road has only stop signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles