Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:13 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times

Advertisements

A ticket is always better than getting seriously hurt or killed.
Know your abilites and at least try to obey the speed limit somewhat.
One of the dumbest things I ever saw was not from going too fast.
A guy tried to do a burnout in gravel with a older Harley (approx '82-'84) Dyna (can't remember which exact model) with a built S&S crate engine.
He threw a roostertail of dirt and gravel high into the air. The trouble is he just started riding and was a younger man.
The back end fishtailed on him and he put it down really hard.
It fubared the custom paint job, wadded up the shifter lever, bent/broke the turn signals, scratched and dented the gas tank and fenders.......AND was his Dad's bike he let him ride because he didn't have the money to buy one of his own yet! So much for riding free....huh?

That was the end of that!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times
A ticket is always better than getting seriously hurt or killed.
Know your abilites and at least try to obey the speed limit somewhat.
One of the dumbest things I ever saw was not from going too fast.
A guy tried to do a burnout in gravel with a older Harley (approx '82-'84) Dyna with a built S&S crate engine.
He threw a roostertail of dirt and gravel hig into the air. The trouble is he just started riding and was a younger man.
The back end fishtailed on him and he put it down really hard.
It fubared the custom paint job, wadded up the shifter lever, bent/broke the turn signals, scratched and dented the gas tank and fenders.......AND was his Dad's bike he let him ride because he didn't have the money to buy one of his own yet!

That was the end of that!

Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhack02 View Post
This past Saturday heading south on U S #1 with my buddy on motorcycles i was pulled by a under cover state trooper. He gave me 107 MPH in a 65 mph zone. He complimented me sevaral times for pulling over right away. A big storm was coming and my or my self have not rode in a storm so we were trying to get home fast. I'm scared because i don't know what going to happen to me. I know i was wrong and stupid but I have beaten up on myself all weekend now i need advise if i can get it. I don't know if I can ride again without being scared.
If that ticket doesnt go away you wont be needing to worry about being scared driving anything.....You wont have a licence....Of course you could of told him that next month there is the big FALL BIKE WEEK at MYRTLE BEACH and you were just practicin....lol

Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
I hope the lesson learned here is driving is not a right, its a privilege. Over 100.. completely irresponsible. If you get into an accident, you're dead. Have some respect for the people who would have to clean up after your mess (EMT, cops)... sorry but I feel no sympathy. You chose to be an idiot on the road, you pay the consequences. Shocked they did not take your license away.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 PM

5 posts, read 22,027 times
It's not the motorcycle you should be afraid of...

If you're still the kind of person who's going to drive 107 mph on a public road again, whether it be with a motorcycle, a car, or whatever, you should be afraid of yourself.

If you've changed as a result of this experience and you actually are going to ride responsibly, you have less to be afraid of.

Be thankful your scary experience was getting a ticket and not losing (or costing someone else) a limb.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:30 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
Scared of getting on a motorcycle Try getting into a cage with a cougar. That's some truly scary stuff.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:44 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I'd be more scared of going 107 on a motorcycle, than going the speed limit in the rain. Did you not know till the last minute that a storm was coming? My husband has pulled over under a bridge before when he got caught in the rain - not because he was afraid to ride in the rain, but because he didn't want his motorcycle rained on. But that has only happened once (caught unexpectedly in the rain) in 30 years of riding.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I can see whay an inexperienced rider would want to avoid a heavy rain. Last time I was caught was in an Illinois summer thunderstorm on the interstate. If I slowed enough for the visibility I would have been run over by a truck doing 75. I just took an exit and stayed in a simplistic motel. Next day was beautiful. I would sooner ride over the ton than have to do forty is a storm so hard I could not see.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:20 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
I've ridden in rain and even snow, and in all kinds of city and freeway traffic, but the only thing that's ever succeeded at keeping me off the bike is a bad windstorm. There's nothing quite like hanging on for dear life in 50mph crosswinds while tractor-trailers are getting blown over in front of you.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhack02 View Post
This past Saturday heading south on U S #1 with my buddy on motorcycles i was pulled by a under cover state trooper. He gave me 107 MPH in a 65 mph zone. He complimented me sevaral times for pulling over right away. A big storm was coming and my or my self have not rode in a storm so we were trying to get home fast. I'm scared because i don't know what going to happen to me. I know i was wrong and stupid but I have beaten up on myself all weekend now i need advise if i can get it. I don't know if I can ride again without being scared.
If he gave you a ticket, you'll get a nice fine coming your way. I know someone that received something similar. They had to pay a $350 ticket. Let's just say he never went beyond the speed limit ever again

If you were going to jail, he would have arrested you. Simple. But riding in the rain isn't scary, essp on a sports bike. On a sports bike it's so easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles