Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times

Advertisements

If memory serves wasnt helmet wearing once mandatory nation wide, until a bunch of posers challenged the legality of the government mandate in one state that every one should wear a helmet?then bikers in each state used the same cases logic to ban compulsive helmet use in their state. Now we have many states with no compulsory helmet laws.
To date i lost an uncle who actually wore a helmet but was too lazy to do it up well he didnt take into consideration when he hit the moose the helmet would pop off and he would then hit the ground head first.
Then another buddy in Florida who wore no helmet had a run in with a left turning car,he died of major head trauma when he also hit the road head first.
Maybe some one can tell me why not wearing a helmet is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 11:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If memory serves wasnt helmet wearing once mandatory nation wide, until a bunch of posers challenged the legality of the government mandate in one state that every one should wear a helmet?then bikers in each state used the same cases logic to ban compulsive helmet use in their state. Now we have many states with no compulsory helmet laws.
To date i lost an uncle who actually wore a helmet but was too lazy to do it up well he didnt take into consideration when he hit the moose the helmet would pop off and he would then hit the ground head first.
Then another buddy in Florida who wore no helmet had a run in with a left turning car,he died of major head trauma when he also hit the road head first.
Maybe some one can tell me why not wearing a helmet is a good idea.
Just think if we could only stop them from riding at all. After all, would his odds have been better in a car with multiple air bags?

(I hope people realize I'm not advocating this, just taking the above argument to it's conclusion)

Old 09-07-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just think if we could only stop them from riding at all. After all, would his odds have been better in a car with multiple air bags?

(I hope people realize I'm not advocating this, just taking the above argument to it's conclusion)
I think they both would have been safer in a car given the circumstances as what did them both in was massive head trauma. Wearing a helmet properly fastened would have saved my uncles life and my other buddys chance of survival would have been greatly enhanced had he been wearing a helmet.
I dont advocate eliminating motorcycles but wearing available safety equipment should be mandatory.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:31 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,698,521 times
Quote:
I think they both would have been safer in a car given the circumstances as what did them both in was massive head trauma. Wearing a helmet properly fastened would have saved my uncles life and my other buddys chance of survival would have been greatly enhanced had he been wearing a helmet.
I dont advocate eliminating motorcycles but wearing available safety equipment should be mandatory.
You might as well ban motorcycles or put seat belts on motorcycles. Think of the children!

Old 09-07-2015, 10:09 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
wearing available safety equipment should be mandatory.
No, adults sbould be free to make their own choices and assume full responsibility for the consequences thereof.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:27 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
My cousin was killed in a low speed crash even though he was wearing a helmet. It's all a luck of the draw.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:32 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,764,709 times
Its a dumb argument as no one should be able to force safety upon someone else. Those who do not wear helmets are aware of what may happen if they get into an accident and accept the fact that they may not come out of it alive. They also do not preach not to wear a helmet to those that do. Not wearing a helmet hurts no one except for the rider themselves. Those that want to require mandatory helmets because of safety they would surely agree that banning motorcycles all together would be the safer route, after all its about safety. I vote to give tickets to those who don't wear safety glasses while weed whacking too, after all its all about safety. I don't even ride a motorcycle and I hate when people push helmet laws.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Its a dumb argument as no one should be able to force safety upon someone else. Those who do not wear helmets are aware of what may happen if they get into an accident and accept the fact that they may not come out of it alive. .
Its an argument that goes on and on when its brought up,Good points can be brought up for both sides of the argument. Personally i dont believe helmet-less riders are aware of the consequences of their actions or the pain and grief they cause family and friends when they end up deceased rather than just injured after an accident through their poor choice to not to wear a helmet.
In the case of motorcyclists and helmets i'm all for government mandated helmet use as too many dont have the common sense to use the available safety equipment..

Old 09-08-2015, 06:34 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
Quote:
Its an argument that goes on and on when its brought up,Good points can be brought up for both sides of the argument. Personally i dont believe helmet-less riders are aware of the consequences of their actions or the pain and grief they cause family and friends when they end up deceased rather than just injured after an accident through their poor choice to not to wear a helmet.
In the case of motorcyclists and helmets i'm all for government mandated helmet use as too many dont have the common sense to use the available safety equipment..

But the "I know better than you" attitude... is that something You want forced on yourself too? Because once you start down the road to Nannyville, it's a slippery slope. More people die of heart disease than anything else in this country, most of that from obesity. We should Really be banning smoking, fast food, fried foods, and have Gov mandated/required/supervised daily exercise... people are Clearly too stupid to do this on their own and nearly eradicate a mostly-preventable cause of death. Oh, and since that costs a Lot of money, we're going to need to increase your taxes.

Oh, and that SFH you live in is a HUGE waste of resources, here, you should be living in this high efficiency apartment block....

Oh, just work here and do this, there's no pay but we will make sure you have everything that's necessary for life. You're just too stupid to be able to make any choices, so we will make them all for you.

People are idiots, common sense doesn't exist and life contains untold misery. You're simply not going to change those simple facts. Trying to will CAUSE more of each...

Old 09-08-2015, 06:34 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,764,709 times
Quote:
Well that's their fault then, it isn't anyone's business to restrict people from their freedoms just because their family and friends will grieve in the case that they died in an accident. Look out for yourself and don't worry about others. People die everyday on motorcycles who wear helmets too, what about their grieving family and friends. These people wore one thinking it would save them in an accident but they died. For me its a false sense of security. Should have just banned motorcycles instead.

You say not wearing a helmet is a poor choice, I see it as an accepted risk. If you call people who accept risks lacking common sense then 99% of the population according to you lack common sense. You cant always be 100% safe. Pick and choose. If I don't feel safe doing something I don't, however, there are times I do things unsafe that I feel perfectly fine with. Its all about perception. The minute the govt takes away ones freedom to choose how to do something they enjoy it becomes a lot less enjoyable.

I wonder how many people are for mandating helmets that smoke, or don't wear seatbelts, or don't use the appropriate PPE when doing certain tasks, or stand on the top rung of a ladder, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles