Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 07:30 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Thanks, Toyman, you made some pretty good points there.
Thinking back on it, one of the first real motorcycle adventures I had was on an adventure bike. I met up with some people from ADV Rider for a week-long backcountry motorcycling and camping trip several years back. My first extended trip like that, had several solo overnighters, but no week-long trips. Didn't know anyone in the group, was fortunate to meet some great people. We had probably 30 total riders, some added during the week, several left. We ended up breaking up into smaller groups with similar personalities and riding styles. Had a great time and met some good friends. We met up on a couple similar rides over the following few years. Worked out great, but might not have too!

Glad to see that you've been making some new riding friends. You might also consider looking at what motorcycle organizations are nearby. Many are focused on various community service type benefits, or organized around supporting kids or fighting a given disease. There are also a number of Christian motorcycle organizations if you are interested. Can be a great way to meet some good people. But they can also be somewhat demanding of time!

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 11-01-2023 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 07:41 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Well, the guy I'm giving it to said wife and I we could come over and take a soak in it, so maybe when you get here, we can make that happen!

My phone nav plan is evolving as we speak. I like three to five is the ideal group size. Cagers tend to give a wider margin to a group. We had ten on that ride. The guy who invited me along sent me several texts apologizing for how it went, and wants to make it up to me. We'll see how that goes, but I don't want to depend on anyone for navigation. But, you know, that which doesn't kill you...
Concerning phone mounts, this is the one I just run. Holder and wireless charger in one. I used one on my BMW going cross country this summer, have one on the little KTM ADV bike (worked well off-road, was concerned!) and on my trike.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I remember the old days, pre-GPS/cell phone. Paper map stuffed into a tank bag with a plastic window. Missing an exit/turn was...not pleasant.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:07 AM

777 posts, read 503,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Concerning phone mounts, this is the one I just run. Holder and wireless charger in one. I used one on my BMW going cross country this summer, have one on the little KTM ADV bike (worked well off-road, was concerned!) and on my trike.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I remember the old days, pre-GPS/cell phone. Paper map stuffed into a tank bag with a plastic window. Missing an exit/turn was...not pleasant.
I remember the tank bags with the map. Something I've noticed about Texas is, you can't get off the raised highway and work your way back on side streets, because side streets don't connect. On-off ramps service a community, and the next ramp is for the next community, and those commodities don't connect via what we called surface streets in California. In Texas there are turnarounds, a way to make a U-turn without going through lights, only stop signs, so I guess it all works out.
As for phones, I've found I can put mine in the inside pocket of my jacket and use the earbud very easily, but the charging cable may be a problem, have to check it out. There's a tool bag on the inside of the windshield so I may put the phone in there. I only want to hear the directions, not look at the map. That seems kind of dangerous to me, but we'll have to see how it goes.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:31 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
L,

You could also use a small power bank to keep just about any rechargeable device charged.

Another (multi purpose) option is having a portable battery jumper that also has USB charging ports.

Old 11-09-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
L,

You could also use a small power bank to keep just about any rechargeable device charged.

Another (multi purpose) option is having a portable battery jumper that also has USB charging ports.
A portable power bank is another battery that needs a charge and would have to carried/mounted somewhere. I'm trying to simplify and leaning toward adding a maintenance charge harness onto the battery, fish the wire under the tank to a connection I can plug the phone into inside the tool pouch. I'm gonna check out your suggestions.

Old 11-09-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
A portable power bank is another battery that needs a charge and would have to carried/mounted somewhere. I'm trying to simplify and leaning toward adding a maintenance charge harness onto the battery, fish the wire under the tank to a connection I can plug the phone into inside the tool pouch. I'm gonna check out your suggestions.
i had a look at those portable chargers and they're just another battery that needs charging from an outside source. I want to plug into the bike's electrical system to charge. I'm gonna DIY something out of a cigarette lighter system.

Old 11-10-2023, 06:58 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
i had a look at those portable chargers and they're just another battery that needs charging from an outside source. I want to plug into the bike's electrical system to charge. I'm gonna DIY something out of a cigarette lighter system.
Yes, it is called a "power bank", you have to charge it first but there are solar versions that could charge itself if exposed to decent sunlight.

If you want something simple and portable to be able to charge your USB devices using your motorcycle (battery), then something like this for $10 should do the trick.

Cool thing about this type of splitter is, battery chargers/maintainers can also be connected to it as well.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 11-10-2023 at 07:30 PM..

Old 11-14-2023, 09:11 AM

I have a box of wiring connectors collected over the years. Gonna see if there's anything I can re-purpose first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles