Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 PM

553 posts, read 1,545,152 times

Advertisements

Inception was the first movie I thought of. Didn't like it, didn't finish watching it either. It put me to sleep and it just wasn't interesting at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
143 mind-numbing minutes of CastAway with Tom Hanks (nominated for best actor, mind you!) hanging out with his friend, the ball, Wilson. Good God!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:06 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
143 mind-numbing minutes of CastAway with Tom Hanks (nominated for best actor, mind you!) hanging out with his friend, the ball, Wilson. Good God!!!!!!

WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wilson was the best part of the movie....

Old 04-02-2011, 07:16 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
For some reason I did not like Forrest Gump.
Then you probably didn't/wouldn't like 'Fried Green Tomatoes'---if I am going to see a film about the South---let it be 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil'--some fine performances in that one>>>>

Fried Green Tomatoes (1991) - IMDb

Old 04-02-2011, 09:05 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Then you probably didn't/wouldn't like 'Fried Green Tomatoes'---if I am going to see a film about the South---let it be 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil'--some fine performances in that one>>>>

Fried Green Tomatoes (1991) - IMDb
I liked Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and I had read the book first. Usually the movie is then a disappointment, but they did a good job, even though they threw in the romance part that wasn't in the book.

My "good review" movie that I didn't like was The Age of Innocence. It won the Oscar, and I waited until my husband was going away for a weekend to watch it because I knew he wouldn't be interested. Three hours of absolute boredom waiting for something to happen.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I liked Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and I had read the book first. Usually the movie is then a disappointment, but they did a good job, even though they threw in the romance part that wasn't in the book.

My "good review" movie that I didn't like was The Age of Innocence. It won the Oscar, and I waited until my husband was going away for a weekend to watch it because I knew he wouldn't be interested. Three hours of absolute boredom waiting for something to happen.

YouTube - The Age Of Innocence - Trailer - (1993) - HQ

I read 'The Thornbirds' almost the entire book in 2 days--so obsessed at that time. Read of few of Michener's books--'Centennial'--read that one for about a year--verbose--yes, Michener can be like that.

Planned on seeing a film with Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe about Australia--very obscure--I know I will enjoy it --if I ever see it.

'Eucalyptus'--Kidman/Crowe

Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe Under the Eucalyptus Trees

Eucalyptus is a New York Times Notable Book of the Year written by Murray Bail. The story is a fractured fairy tale, set in Australia. A lonely widower plants hundreds of eucalyptus trees in memory of his wife. He realizes that his beautiful daughter can't stay hidden in the eucalyptus forest forever and announces a competition: the man who can name all 800 eucalyptuses on his property, by sight, will win his daughter's hand in marriage. A botanist comes close to naming them all, but a storytelling stranger captures the daughter's heart. Of course, most of the press about the film right now centers on the fact that Ms. Kidman found listening devices planted in her home, which is really creepy. Most likely, it's the Australian papparazi, which has a reputation for being even worse than the British papparazi. Will Kidman wear tiny fake moles on her face, as the character had in the book? We hope that's one detail they decide to leave out.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:05 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
Yup, I realize that. Doesn't make the film any less crappy to me. I understand it has a huge following, and is a cult classic....It's just not my cup of tea.

Everything? These not so shiny examples I would call more tin-like
Directed-
Death Proof (segment of Grindhouse)
Kill Bill 1&2
Inglorious Bastards (although to be fair, I hated this one more due to Brad Pitt)

Produced-
(All of) Grindhouse
Hostel
From Dusk til Dawn

I'm standing by my original post

Quentin Tarantino= UGH. But, same with Fear and Loathing, huge following. Just REALLY not my cup of tea.

Edit- I will bend on Tarantino enough to say he was a guest director on Sin City, and I really enjoyed that. So not ALL bad.
A simple viewing of your page (and movie choices) made it clear why you wouldn't like Fear and Loathing or Tarantino movies.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
For some reason I did not like Forrest Gump.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that I didn't like Forrest Gump, but there were better movies made that year (1994). Pulp Fiction and the Shawshank Redemption immediately come to mind.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 AM

9 posts, read 12,446 times
Aha !! I have a same kind of movie name which i dont like but the rest of people really like it.. The movie name is Paranormal Activity..

Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Anymore if a movie is liked by the critics I immediately am suspicious it will be a stinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies