Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:50 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,453,826 times

Advertisements

I have searched to see if there was already a thread on this topic but I only found "Favourite movie", "Favourite music" etc.

I apologies if there is already another thread on this subject.

Sometimes I find a particulr scene in a movie stricking even though the movie is not necessary my favourite or the best I have ever seen. And sometime that scene alone put the movie on a different league.

Sometimes I remember only one scene from a movie and it stays with me for a long time.

Two such example for me are the following:

From "Blade Runner"

YouTube - Blade Runner - TEARS IN RAIN [Hi-Res Video]

From "Philadelphia"

YouTube - La Mamma Morta - from Philadelphia

I would love to see what are some of your favorite scenes.

Thank you

Last edited by hutch5; 04-24-2010 at 02:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,857,631 times
Although I can't stand the guy, Wilfred Brimley has two scenes that I particularly like. In "Absence Of Malice" he's the US Attorney and he calls the FBI agent, the local DA and one of his assistants into the conference room with Paul Newman (alleged suspect) and Sally Field, newspaper reporter. Excellent work, great scene.

In "The Natural" his scene in the dugout and "my father wanted me to be a farmer" line are excellent.

In "Apolalypse Now" when the MPs show up at the hotel door and Sheen asks, "what are the charges?" Priceless

In "Devil In A Blue Dress" Don Cheadle (maybe his first movie) telling Denzel about why the other guy is dead, "you told me not to shoot him I didn't, I choked him. Hey if you didn't want me to kill him why did you leave me alone with him?"

Al Pacino in "Scent Of A Woman", the "courtroom" scene. I'm sure that scene got him the Oscar.

Lots of others, but going to get my coffee and read the Saturday comics

Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,059,083 times
We've had threads like this, Hutch, but searching them out is next to impossible because the thread *titles* can be obscure.

I like some scenes for the closure they provide, others for their lack of interpretation, some scenes for the pure visual splendor, and others for the transportive acting.

There might be a few spoilers here.

Some favorite scenes that come to mind:

The closing scene of Local Hero, with Mac, at home in Texas, emptying his pockets of shells, and back in Scotland, the ringing red telephone box. Mark Knopfler's "Going Home" perfectly captures the poignant moment.
We are free to interpret this scene's meaning of this as we wish.

The opening segment of Dazed and Confused, with the slow motion orange Pontiac entering the parking lot to the tune of Sweet Emotion. The mood is set: We are in high school, looking cool is equal to being cool, and while we know there is more to life, right now all we care about is the next party.

The closing scene of Places in the Heart shows us what a mystery the human condition can be, while at the same time, tells us everything we really need to know.

In Soldier of Orange, two men, old college friends, dance a tango together. One is fighting for the Allies, the other for the Germans. Both the bittersweet metaphor and irony are richly conveyed.

YouTube - Soldaat van Oranje (Soldier of Orange) - Tango

Old 04-24-2010, 09:57 AM

322 posts, read 547,658 times
There are some greats ones there! Scent of a Woman, Dazed and Confused, Philadelphia..all classic scenes. Here's some of my favorites..

The Usual Suspects - The entire ending montage, when Agent Cuyan is putting together that Verbal Kent is really Kaiser Soze. Ending with one of the greatest lines ever "and like that..he's gone".

Forrest Gump - The scence where Forrest is at Jenny's grave talking about how proud he is of little Forrest and what not, I'm sorry but if that scence doesn't choke you up you are not human.

Field of Dreams - "Hey Dad..wanna have a catch?" nuff said..you guys know what I'm sayin.

I'm sure I can come up with more..but I love the thread so let's keep it going!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:26 AM

At the bottom of the page, another (short) thread showed up.
I cut and pasted my post from it:
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Witness, when the bad cop has his last stand on the farm, and the little boy rings the bell, bringing all the Amish from all over the countryside to converge upon the scene, helping save the day.
Added:But an earlier scene from that movie was just as effective, if not more so: When the little boy sees a photo of the bad guy, and without saying a word, conveys to the detective that the bad guy is actually one of his own.

All of the major action scenes in Master and Commander, especially the one where the French commander is identified.
The fellowship, bravery and wry humor is palpable.

Jimmy Stewart in a wheelchair, fending off Raymond Burr with the flashbulb of a camera in Rear Window. Talk about edge of your seat.

When Benedick frolics about the fountain as realizes he is in love in Much Ado About Nothing.

Almost Famous
- two words: Tiny Dancer

Old 04-24-2010, 11:14 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,408,673 times
The scene in It's a Wonderful Life, after Jimmy Stewart gets "UNrecognized" by his mother he realizes his little angel may not be so "screwy" and he really was never born. The look on his face of pure horror is priceless.

Sinatra's death scene in From Here to Eternity. Same movie, when Montgomery Clift tells Donna Reed the story of why he refuses to box any longer, about the guy he blinded in the ring, "Seeing those tears come out of those eyes that couldn't see."

The last scene in On the Waterfront, after Brando testifies, when he confronts Lee J. Cobb, "Take away the strong arms, and the good goods and the pistoleros and you're nothin' ... and I'm glad what I done to you. You hear that, I'm glad what I done."

The first night around the campfire with Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman, when we see how guilty Clint feels about all the killin' he done, "My wife cured me of my bad ways. I ain't like that no more Ned. I ain't no crazy killin' fool."

So many right? Maybe every great movie has a few.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,163,849 times
Monty Python & the Holy Grail Killer Bunny scene

YouTube - Holy Grail - Killer Bunny

The rest are all horror of course - warning... some are graphic:

Blair Witch Project ending

YouTube - The Blair Witch Project (Horror & Ending Scene)

Alien chestburster scene

YouTube - Alien - Extended Chestburster

The Thing testing scene

YouTube - The Thing: Testing, testing, one two ARGH.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 PM

Amy I've always LOVED that killer bunny scene ever since I first saw it in the theater. We could have an entire thread devoted only to favorite Monty Python segments.

The quality isn't great, but this is my favorite part of the movie Glory, a film with many heavy duty scenes. This particular scene is the night before the 54th regiment's final battle. War is definitely hell, but these few minutes depict why some things are worth fighting for.
"We went down standin' up."
"Y'all's the onliest family I got."
"Don't much matter what happens tomorrow 'cause we men, ain't we."

YouTube - Glory...my favorite part

Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,347,919 times

YouTube - "Honolulu" ~ Gracie Allen, MGM, Old Hawaii Song/Dance!
The incomparable Gracie Allen and Eleanor Powell. The song captures the Magic and Romance of Hawaii's Golden Age aboard the great matsun liners, when getting there was truly half the fun.Enjoy! Aloha & Mahalo!(&Goodnight Gracie)

Old 04-24-2010, 01:40 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,453,826 times
This is a great scene from a great movie, "The legend of 1900".

The film is set on a cruise ship and during this scene the ship ois gping through bad weather. Great fun

YouTube - Legend of 1900 - Magic Waltz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies