Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:22 AM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

I'm showing my age here, but does anyone remember the Comet TV ads with "Josephine the Plumber"? Jane Withers was a child actress who starred in Shirley Temple's movies, usually as the mean little girl down the street.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
David Hasselhoff - known more among younger people for his weird music and drunken antics than his body of work

Bruce Jenner - lots of people don't even know he was a movie star in the 70s, they just think of him as the weird stepdad of the Kardashians.

Chuck Norris - better known as an internet meme and most people don't know he was a popular movie star in the 80s and might just know Walker Texas Ranger

Zsa Zsa Gabor - better known for her antics like slapping cops than being a movie star

Abe Vigoda - better known for his random appearances on Conan O'Brien than being in the Godfather or Barney Miller

Rob Reiner - most people think of him as a director rather than an actor.

Bridgitte Nielsen - better known as a reality star than a popular 80's sex symbol

George Takei - possibly better known by young people for his humorous pro-gay Youtube videos, appearances on Howard Stern and "OH MY" than playing Sulu in the Star Trek films

Gary Busey - known more for being a whackjob/reality TV star

Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Kevin Youkilis played a bit part in a movie, before becoming the hitting star of the Boston Red Sox. At the age of 14, he played a kid (uncredited) in the Melanie Griffith picture "Milk Money".

Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Two very popular singers who were formerly soccer players:
Rod Stewart and Julio Iglesias (Goal Keeper).

Old 05-01-2012, 06:17 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,267 times
Ronald Reagan
George Murphy-later a Republican senator from California
Shirley McLaine-for being nuts
Paul Newman-charity,salad dressing

Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
I know this isn't really the point of this thread, but the first actor I thought of was one of my all-time favorites, Alec Guinness. I know him from such classic movies as the Bridge Over the River Kwai, the Scarlet Hill Mob, Great Expectations, Lawrence of Arabia, etc. etc. But many people my age or younger know him only as Obi Wan Kenobi. I still distinctly remember watching Lawrence of Arabia for about the 15th time in a theater about 25 years ago and listening to a college student tell his date, "Yeah, that movie was OK, but every time that sheikh opened his mouth, all I could think of was Obi Wan Kenobi." And this has been repeated so many times in the intervening years. It reminds me of a question I heard on a radio show about 30 years ago....someone called the DJs asking the DJs to solve a bet....his buddy claimed that Paul McCartney had been in a group before the Wings......

Old 05-02-2012, 11:16 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,878 times
Edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Bruce Jenner - lots of people don't even know he was a movie star in the 70s, they just think of him as the weird stepdad of the Kardashians.
I remember him as a commentator on Star Games, a show similar to Battle of the Network Stars. And he won the gold in the decathlon in the 80s.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
David Hasselhoff - known more among younger people for his weird music and drunken antics than his body of work

Chuck Norris - better known as an internet meme and most people don't know he was a popular movie star in the 80s and might just know Walker Texas Ranger

Zsa Zsa Gabor - better known for her antics like slapping cops than being a movie star

Abe Vigoda - better known for his random appearances on Conan O'Brien than being in the Godfather or Barney Miller

Rob Reiner - most people think of him as a director rather than an actor.

Bridgitte Nielsen - better known as a reality star than a popular 80's sex symbol

George Takei - possibly better known by young people for his humorous pro-gay Youtube videos, appearances on Howard Stern and "OH MY" than playing Sulu in the Star Trek films

Gary Busey - known more for being a whackjob/reality TV star
I think Ron Howard would also fit that description.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:26 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times
Dean Martin (best known as a super cool member of Frank Sinatra's Rat Pack) was formerly Jerry Lewis's straight man in the comedy team of "Martin and Lewis". When they split up, it was predicted that Dino wouldn't make it.

Annette Funicello, best known for her "Beach" movies with Frankie Avalon, was one of the original Mickey Mouse Club Mouseketeers.

Edit: Just thought of another - Robin Williams. He started out as "Mork from Ork".

Old 05-02-2012, 02:33 PM

There was a movie out years ago called Good Morning, Vietnam, about a controversial Armed Forces Radio DJ in Saigon during the war, who was considered "irreverant" and finally annoyed enough superiors that he was transferred back to the US. The guy was played by Robin Williams.

The Army DJ who replaced the guy in real life was Pat Sajak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies