Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Judging by the trailer, this looks to be a very suspenseful spy movie in the classic sense. Don't look for "James Bond" gadgets or fighting. Some award winning actors star in the movie. I plan on reading the book AFTER watching the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 03:21 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
If I can find it playing, I will go watch it. Looks like a great movie. Was very well done on PBS, as well, and I would love to see that version. Just reread Smiley's People.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:24 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Away to watch it tonight, looks superb.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Saw it, not what i was expecting. Slower than I thought it would be. Still good.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Really liked it. Not a beat-'em-up-blow-it-to-smithereens-save-the-world-in-thirty-seconds movie at all, but thoughtful, intelligent and suspenseful. It treats the audience like they have a brain and you have 3-dimensional human beings with all their flaws and foibles in the story.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Really liked it. Not a beat-'em-up-blow-it-to-smithereens-save-the-world-in-thirty-seconds movie at all, but thoughtful, intelligent and suspenseful. It treats the audience like they have a brain and you have 3-dimensional human beings with all their flaws and foibles in the story.
Perfectly summarised. One of my top movies of the last couple of years. It draws you in slowly and deeply and I love the fact that it is more about personalities and characters than about spying . More about betrayal , trust and friendships also. Internal politics and loyalty. The acting was simply superlative. The stellar cast is just any director's ( worth his salt anyway) wet dream.

There is not one performance out of place or out of step with the script though I think Gary Oldman can possibly be singled out for the performance of a lifetime.

Considering how little dialogue he has in a way he manages to get under your skin with little gestures and eye movements. An absolute "tour de force".

I have never been a huge fan of spy novels/films but this is one film I would recommend to anyone who loves a well crafted movie, with a fabulous cast of seasoned actors and where suspense is more important than loud explosions and showy special effects.

It is slow and needs to be savoured and mulled over. The rewards are certainly deeply enriching IMO.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:20 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
The 1980 British miniseries is on Netflix but not streaming of course. Only about 1 out of 10 things I try to find streaming is. I am grateful Downton Abbey was streaming.
I think Gary Oldman is a good actor but there's something about him I don't like much. Won't stop me from seeing it tho.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 PM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I guess one has to be the type to enjoy this type of movie and the way it was presented. . I'm glad there are people that enjoyed the film. I didn't I was very disappointed with this film.

It was very slow and just so dark and dull at times. The storyline and especially story developement was somewhat weak. The film jumped from scene to scene without much explanation. Actually I would have expected much more from this film, and it could have been presented much better.

I was so sick of watching people smoke, that I felt like I could smell the smoke. The movie just jumped around more than I cared for, which is common with movies of today. But hey if that's what people like in a movie then more power to them. Its just not for me and thats ok. I just expected more story and more character development in this film, and it just wasn't there

However for those that like this type of film presented the way it is, then I'm sure more films like this will be released.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Perfectly summarised. One of my top movies of the last couple of years. It draws you in slowly and deeply and I love the fact that it is more about personalities and characters than about spying . More about betrayal , trust and friendships also. Internal politics and loyalty. The acting was simply superlative. The stellar cast is just any director's ( worth his salt anyway) wet dream.

There is not one performance out of place or out of step with the script though I think Gary Oldman can possibly be singled out for the performance of a lifetime.

Considering how little dialogue he has in a way he manages to get under your skin with little gestures and eye movements. An absolute "tour de force".

I have never been a huge fan of spy novels/films but this is one film I would recommend to anyone who loves a well crafted movie, with a fabulous cast of seasoned actors and where suspense is more important than loud explosions and showy special effects.

It is slow and needs to be savoured and mulled over. The rewards are certainly deeply enriching IMO.
Excellent review, I concur.

May I just add that the music was perfect for the movie?

Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,583 times
I can't wait to see this film *fingers crossed* for the weekend.

Everything about this film that I've read tells me that it's a much more cerebral film than the usual rubish Hollywood puts out. Thanks for everone's reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies