Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times

Advertisements

This is what ticks me off about so many movies. I have to turn up the volume to hear the unclear/muffled dialogue. Then when you come to an action scene it is just overkill with the fricken volume. Why, oh why can't the video editors just even things out a little, clearer dialogue with more volume and less eardrum shattering during the action scenes???

Is it just me or does this bother others?????

PS: my hearing is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 05:02 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,961 times
Not only is my hearing fine, but people tease me about having Bionic Ears! So that when the action blasts it almost knocks me out of my seat..

You are not alone... I feel your pain!

A bleepin' draaaaaaaag

Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
I take it to be the mark of a movie that really just can't make it on its own. Gotta crank up the volume to keep my attention.

Though, I'm equally irritated by movies with normal volume and dialogue but for some reason they gotta have some muffled conversation, like the sound guy thinks we're right there with them and can say, 'Hun'h?'

Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
This is what ticks me off about so many movies. I have to turn up the volume to hear the unclear/muffled dialogue. Then when you come to an action scene it is just overkill with the fricken volume. Why, oh why can't the video editors just even things out a little, clearer dialogue with more volume and less eardrum shattering during the action scenes???

Is it just me or does this bother others?????

PS: my hearing is fine.
You're not the only one and this type of BS is quite recent. The dialogue is very low and quiet; so you have to turn the TV up to hear it. Than when the action or music starts; it's so damn loud. Very annoying.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I take it to be the mark of a movie that really just can't make it on its own. Gotta crank up the volume to keep my attention.

Though, I'm equally irritated by movies with normal volume and dialogue but for some reason they gotta have some muffled conversation, like the sound guy thinks we're right there with them and can say, 'Hun'h?'

That is what I truly hate, the muffled conversation that I have to turn the teevee way up for.......then go to action.....and I am nearly deafened. WHY, WHY WHY????

Old 06-05-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You're not the only one and this type of BS is quite recent. The dialogue is very low and quiet; so you have to turn the TV up to hear it. Than when the action or music starts; it's so damn loud. Very annoying.

I hate it.....makes me want to go "find" the editors and make them pay in a horrific way.........just joking..........kinda.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I concur . I think it is a good indication of directors which are obviously prouder of the action scenes than the script or the acting skills of the performers. Usually a good indication of style over substance for me.

As someone with really sensitive hearing it makes watching a film quite unbearable as well. I like films with a good story and plotline so these films tend to be no-nos for me.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
I notice this with movies that seem to lack substance...maybe they're doing it to make us forget the lousy plot.???

Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Part of the problem may be at the theatre or in the settings of your tv. Typically the effects are in the surround channels, with the front and center channels containing dialog. If you have a set with surround, and a kid who thinks the surround is cool, it'll be cranked to the max, along with any subwoofer. Theatres don't usually do that, but... It is by no means uncommon for thieves to steal the speakers from behind the screen and slip them out an exit door.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Part of the problem may be at the theatre or in the settings of your tv. Typically the effects are in the surround channels, with the front and center channels containing dialog. If you have a set with surround, and a kid who thinks the surround is cool, it'll be cranked to the max, along with any subwoofer. Theatres don't usually do that, but... It is by no means uncommon for thieves to steal the speakers from behind the screen and slip them out an exit door.
Wow, I have never heard of this before. Have you witnessed this theft????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies