Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:40 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,381,719 times

Advertisements

I watch movies over and over again because I enjoy them. However, the ones I watch over and over again are mostly dramas because once you know the ending (in suspense films) or punchlines (in comedies), most of the pleasure is gone the second (or third or fourth) time.

However, I do watch about 12 Christmas films every single year because they are part of our holiday traditions, and ditto for about four Halloween classic movies (e.g., Young Frankenstein). Also, my husband's and my favorite movie, period, is A Good Year, so we have watched that every year on our anniversary since it came out on DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKrLj5ZHiM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 03:49 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
We do watch some over and over. For example, DH and I both enjoy watching Jaws around the Fourth of July. It's not only a great movie, it's a great summer movie.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:03 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
1. Sweet Home Alabama
2. Cop Land
3. Terminator 2
4. Jaws
5. The Departed
6. The Omen
7. The Godfather
8. Magnum Force
9. Sudden Impact
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the one from 1956)

Except, I hate it when they edit them to run in the time allotted. I've seen them so much I know what they have edited out.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:55 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,317,297 times
Too many to name!

I will mention my wife's "sleeping pill" movies:

Foul Play
Heroes (Sally Field & Henry Winkler).

She just purchased ( via eBay auction for charity) The Carol Burnette Show, and here lately has been sticking those in to put her to sleep/relax her.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:59 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,306,938 times
I "watch" movies repeatedly for background noise and the occasional "That was sweet!" moments. I watch LOTR and the Potter movies in straight runs every year.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:54 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,606 times
As a college English professor, there are movies that I've shown over and over again in classes that have made me watch them many more times than I would do otherwise (although, obviously, I pick movies that I really like, so it's not torture or anything). My guesses for most watched:

Do the Right Thing - 50+ times
The Virgin Suicides - 25+ times
Memento - 25+ times

Probably a good dozen more that I've seen 15 or more times. But in terms of being in my house, by myself and watching something over and over again, I bet I've never seen something the whole way through more than 5 times (but I'll watch parts of Goodfellas or Animal House any time I see that they are on ).

Old 08-30-2016, 11:38 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,715,088 times
I can probably count on one hand the number of movies I've watched more than once.

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation comes to mind. I've probably watched that movie 4 or 5 times and for whatever reason, that one still makes me want to watch it again.

I don't really understand the multiple viewings of movies that many do, but to each their own :-)

My wife and I go to a ton of movies (in the theater), it's kind of our date night, movie, popcorn and cherry coke! I guess I'm more of a "one and done" type of guy when it comes to movies. Love it the first time, not really interested in seeing it again.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:08 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,225,526 times
I have bought a vew CD's of movies but almost never watch them.

However when I run into a favorite movie playing on cable it is somehow like "oh look, my fav xyz is playing" and
I will setting in watch. Its weird how to me there is this difference between watching "live" and watching a CD or
even DVR recording of a show or movie. It doesn't feel the same and I know that makes zero sense.

The two movies that come immediately to mind that I can watch on cable repeatedly are

Jaws and he Hunt for Red October - no idea why. Although the more I watched Jaws the more I realized how
brilliant it really was (I didn't start of thinking that). I wouldn't rate either of these as my favorites of all times. Just
somehow rewatchable to me. Oh, and Firefly and Serenity and The Big Chill all of which I actually own but only watch on TV.

Edit, yes and Christmas Vacation too.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:09 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,352,311 times
Misery... lost track of how many times I watched it.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:23 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Misery... lost track of how many times I watched it.

Same. I love this movie. Funny thing is when I am on a long shift at work, I will watch it in my head (does anyone else do this?). That is one thing I absolutely love about movies, I can take them everywhere with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies