Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:30 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My sister was one of those people. There were several films, such as the LOTR trilogy (though she'd skip through the boring parts) which she'd literally watch many times. She'd go through phases where she'd watch the same movie every day for like 3 weeks or something to the point where she could memorise every line by heart. Posting on the imdb message board I'm aware of people who say they've seen certain movies as often as 100 times!

I'm thinking of my favourite movies, and I don't think I've ever completely seen any film more than 5-6 times. What about you, which film have you seen the most times and how many? I've probably seen Forrest Gump, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy and Scarface about 5 times each. I first saw them in the early 00s so it's still less than once in 2 years on average. Usually, I watch a film once, maybe twice if I missed things and that's it, time to watch new movies.
It really depends on the film.

Sometimes, what happens is the payoff. When that's the case, sure, once is enough. But sometimes the payoff is the brilliant acting, terrific cinematography, a score that is so sublimely integrated with the visuals, etc. And sometimes a film is simply fun. In those cases, the pleasure doesn't stop after one viewing.

I've listened to the same albums dozens, in some cases hundreds, of times. I've ordered the same meal countless times. What's so special about films that they're not to be enjoyed repeatedly?

I never tire of Jack Nicholson's acting in films like Five Easy Pieces and The Passenger. I never tire of Sergio Leone's directing meshed with Ennio Morricone's score in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West. I never tire of laughing during The Big Lebowski or simply taking in the awesome spectacle that is Apocalypse Now. Why wouldn't I watch such enjoyable films over and over? It's not like I'm in some race to see as many different ones as I can in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It really depends on the film.

Sometimes, what happens is the payoff. When that's the case, sure, once is enough. But sometimes the payoff is the brilliant acting, terrific cinematography, a score that is so sublimely integrated with the visuals, etc. And sometimes a film is simply fun. In those cases, the pleasure doesn't stop after one viewing.

Indeed, I recall a thread about fun movies in another web site/forum. In that case, I think that a fun movie can create an atmosphere of fun, even if you have seen it before.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:37 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My sister was one of those people. There were several films, such as the LOTR trilogy (though she'd skip through the boring parts) which she'd literally watch many times. She'd go through phases where she'd watch the same movie every day for like 3 weeks or something to the point where she could memorise every line by heart. Posting on the imdb message board I'm aware of people who say they've seen certain movies as often as 100 times!

I'm thinking of my favourite movies, and I don't think I've ever completely seen any film more than 5-6 times. What about you, which film have you seen the most times and how many? I've probably seen Forrest Gump, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy and Scarface about 5 times each. I first saw them in the early 00s so it's still less than once in 2 years on average. Usually, I watch a film once, maybe twice if I missed things and that's it, time to watch new movies.
Tend to lose the effect when watching over and over. Even favorites become un-favorited with repeated viewings. I think it was better in the pre-VHS era when a favorite film aired once per year or every two years. One would be absorbing every detail because it would not air again for some time. How many of us as kids would memorize The Great Escape theme song and hum it for days afterwards to commit to memory because it would not air again until next Memorial Day.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:27 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,371,425 times
I normally don't watch movies repeatedly. I'll make an exception for holiday-type movies, though, as a tradition. So, if it's Christmas, that means I watch The Sound of Music. If it's Lent, The Ten Commandments. If it's Halloween, The Omen.

Make of it what you will.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Some movies you never get tired of, and my list is kind of odd.

Starwars
Back to the future trilogy
Mean girls......!?
Legally blond...!?
Good Fellas

To name a few

Old 09-09-2016, 11:26 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,465,509 times
Platoon = 30 - 40 times?

Green Berets = 30 - 50 times?

Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer = 30 - 40 times? maybe more?

The Good, Bad and the Ugly = 50 times?

and many more, Im a movie buff that can watch a movie many times, as long as I spread it out over a time period of a year

some movies are seasonal, I dont like watching Christmas movies in the summer, wrong mood

horror movies are fun during a cold winters night during a storm, when you tend to stay indoors more.

I also enjoy older movies and tv shows for the nostalgia, since they dont put those on tv anymore, I have the entire series on DVD boxed sets, so I can watch my favorite shows anytime.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,306,440 times
The video of "Cats". (But that may not count as it's a musical.)

Old 09-09-2016, 11:48 AM

The demise of older and niche feature films from cable and network tv has made certain films which were not favorites desirable to watch again if they should ever air.

Example, Retreat From Kiska aired rather often when I was a kid in the 1970s. Have not seen it since. Have only seen Lee Marvin's Prime Cut once in all these decades. The cable networks will air Mel Gibson in Payback now and then but you never see the previous rendition with Lee Marvin-Point Blank.

Then there were those made for tv films of the 1970s which never receive airtime except for Duel. Like the one where a P-40 chases a german tank across the desert. Or that personal favorite, Battle of the Last Panzer.

Not even the Kolchak Night Stalker TV film get reply. Fortunately they are complete on Youtube- the cheap man's Netflix.

Last edited by Felix C; 09-09-2016 at 12:01 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,306,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
The demise of older and niche feature films from cable and network tv has made certain films which were not favorites desirable to watch again if the should ever air.

Example, Retreat From Kiska aired rather often when I was a kid in the 1970s.
Have you looked for it under the Region 2 title: Miraculous Military Strategy in the Pacific Ocean: Kiska Toho (2006)

Old 09-09-2016, 11:59 AM

Thanks.

Current DVD player only Region 1. Because it has dual DVD and VHS capability. Own many VHS tapes. Maybe I should sell them to Dude111 here who loves VHS.

We may upgrade soon to all region.

The Retreat From Kiska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies