Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:39 PM

10,059 posts, read 18,141,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
No, I want to see what they really are.
Hmmm ... are all white people portrayed "accurately"?

You seriously expect 100% reality in your fictional characters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 PM

10 posts, read 11,687 times
Oh, boo hoo.

There are Asian, Latino, White, and Purple hero's in every movie nowadays. Goodness, the OP makes it sound like every movie is filled with dashikis, afrosheen, and the black power fists lol. Still, most main characters are white but there has been some change in the characters portrayal or race. Mainly Black men, not women are appearing in lead roles, and the roles they appear in are more representative of what normal (Black) people do.

As far as why there are as many Asian heroes? I don't know, maybe not as many are going for the roles. I remember seeing an interview with a Black actress saying this was the case for many Black women trying to get acting roles. Not too many are asking for a hero of color and/or too many people of color (any color really) aren't going for these roles because they are not specifically asked for. According to that actress (I can't remember her name), she went for roles regardless of the race specified and would get lucky and get roles that weren't intended for her. So maybe there's not enough of that from Asians.

Considering how racist the cinema history used to be, I'd say it's a good sign lesser represented groups are appearing in lead roles. If you're so concerned about it, try supporting and encouraging those who are not represented well in the media to go for lead roles and support other minorities as well. Also, Asians get more roles than darker skinned Latinos and Native Americans. Just sayin'

Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM

10 posts, read 11,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hmmm ... are all white people portrayed "accurately"?

You seriously expect 100% reality in your fictional characters?
I'm just curious to know what he/she thinks Black people are in reality.

Blacks, while dealing with generational poverty, are also known as an unrecognized middle class (living in poverty but often having enough money to take care of family, kids, and educations). Blacks are scholars, artists, athletes, mothers, caretakers, everyday heroes (cops, firefighters, nurses, teachers,military etc) and fathers. I would say these are generally portrayed in every group. There's no need to demonize a group based off of stereotypes. O.P may be looking for a more inaccurate and outdated (racist) portrayal if he/she doesn't feel these roles represent those in the Black community.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,213,058 times
Quote:
No, I want to see what they really are.
And what would that be?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,983,665 times
OP is obviously baiting.

I suppose he probably thinks movies like "Rocky" are realistic.

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 04-23-2013 at 07:51 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM

25,880 posts, read 16,596,734 times
Quote:
I understand liberalism etc. and it's good to promote minority roles. However I think they have gone too far.
Why there's never any Asian hero then?
Just try to watch the movie "Red Tails" about the Tuskegee Airmen of WWII. The movie is so warped it's unwatchable. All white people, American or German are evil. Only thing that Lucass left out was the horns on their heads.

I'm so sick of this white guilt in movies. I love watching movies from 25+ years ago before all the BS started. They actually portrayed people correctly, not according to race.

Is this what "Diversity" intended?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Just try to watch the movie "Red Tails" about the Tuskegee Airmen of WWII. The movie is so warped it's unwatchable. All white people, American or German are evil. Only thing that Lucass left out was the horns on their heads.

I'm so sick of this white guilt in movies. I love watching movies from 25+ years ago before all the BS started. They actually portrayed people correctly, not according to race.

Is this what "Diversity" intended?
So Birth of a Nation portrayed people correctly?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM

25,880 posts, read 16,596,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
So Birth of a Nation portrayed people correctly?
Now who is baiting again?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Now who is baiting again?
You made bold, divisive statements. Therefore, you get a bold, divisive question that you still haven't answered. Nice job avoiding the question.

Boo hoo, so there are a couple of movies where you perceive all whites to be portrayed as bad. Stop acting like that wasn't done to blacks in Hollywood for decades. Not saying any of it is right, my only problem is that you think it's so terrible when it's happening to white people, but if it's happening to blacks you couldn't care less.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You made bold, divisive statements. Therefore, you get a bold, divisive question that you still haven't answered. Nice job avoiding the question.

Boo hoo, so there are a couple of movies where you perceive all whites to be portrayed as bad. Stop acting like that wasn't done to blacks in Hollywood for decades. Not saying any of it is right, my only problem is that you think it's so terrible when it's happening to white people, but if it's happening to blacks you couldn't care less.
Check and Mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies