Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:23 AM

377 posts, read 529,684 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt overlook Pacific Rim, many of us grew up watching giant super robots on TV from Gigantor to Voltes V to Daimos to Gundam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:06 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
I wouldnt overlook Pacific Rim, many of us grew up watching giant super robots on TV from Gigantor to Voltes V to Daimos to Gundam
I'm so looking forward to "Pacific Rim" (don't know why that title makes me chuckle,) These robots of course brings Transformers to mind, but it also made me think of the one in Aliens, which is more similar because it's human operated.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 PM

377 posts, read 529,684 times
well, so were those other robots that I mentioned, they were giant robots that had human controllers inside of them.
Transformers were just the American ripoffs of the Japanese super robot genre, but unlike the Japanese super robots, the transformers were giant robots who were self aware and sentient and had no human controllers

Old 06-27-2013, 03:05 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Iron Man 3 will probably take the gross receipts trophy. Star Trek is my favorite so far this summer, and World War Z comes in a semi-distant 2nd. Pacific Rim looks too cartoonish for my taste. I'm looking forward to Elysium.

Man of Steel was fairly disappointing. Henry Cavill was extremely bland, Mike Shannon's performance came off as slighltly awkward(General Zod also seemed fairly psychologically vulnerable for a super-villain), Amy Adams' take on Louis Lane seemed fairly artificial, and the love story between Clark/Kal-El and Louis Lane was rushed and forced(they should've saved its development for sequels). The movie was carried by great action sequences and strong supporting performances by Crowe, Costner, Diane Lane, and that German chick that played Faora. I did like the flashback method they used to cover Clark's childhood; however, they extended too far into the movie.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 06-27-2013 at 03:15 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 11:33 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
PACIFIC RIM actually isn't tracking very well, which surprises me. The studio is worrying about a flop.

We saw MONSTERS UNIVERSITY yesterday. Cute movie. Good, not great. But the theater was PACKED. In fact, the first showing we tried to attend was completely sold out, and this was in the middle of hte day on a Friday.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:27 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Excuse me, for for people who love movies, should we really be asking this? This whole emphasis in the last several years, of top-grossing movies being mentioned in the news, seems to be warping things worse than ever.

I wish people would instead be asking: What's the cleverest movie? What's the most sophisticated movie? What's the most socially critical movie? What's the most emotionally surprising movie?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:56 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I'll bet "Pacific Rim" goes the way of "Battleship". "The Lone Ranger" will probably disappoint but do okay. It looks like kids movies will carry the summer, but a chick flick might stand out and get some attention by virtue of being an alternative.
Big stars seem to be making for big flops.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:21 AM

536 posts, read 830,357 times
The Wolverine will do well in July. Percy Jackson and Kick-Ass 2 will do well in August. Riddick for September. Don't know about October.

And yeah this is a Summer thread, but just to mention - November: Ender's Game is HUGE. December: Anchorman 2. and The Hobbit

Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'll bet "Pacific Rim" goes the way of "Battleship". "The Lone Ranger" will probably disappoint but do okay. It looks like kids movies will carry the summer, but a chick flick might stand out and get some attention by virtue of being an alternative.
Big stars seem to be making for big flops.
You're probably right, though, I'm still trying to stay hopeful, but, the more of the trailers I see, the less enthused I've become about the movie.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 PM

322 posts, read 584,876 times
I went to see White House Down yesterday. That was the best movie I think I've seen since Ted and The Other Guys.

As you can tell, I LOVE comedies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies