Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
...snipped...

I loved Milagro Bean Field Wars, though.
One of my all time favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
A thought just came to me about seeing 'The Way We Were' back in 1973. My first wife and I saw it in a crowded cinema. I wasn't particularly impressed with the movie on first seeing it. I changed my mind in later years. The end scene were Barbra and Robert met after many years apart, was playing. Barbra said, "your girl is lovely Hubbell," and reached across, and stroked his hair. They embraced, and the camera cut to Barbra's tear filled eyes. The music soared, and all I could hear in the audience was sobbing. The film finished, and the lights went up. Almost every woman in the place was crying.... it was quite extraordinary!!
English Dave, you captured that moment perfectly.

I love RR as an actor and a director. I happen to like The Great Gatsby and Out of Africa because of the story, I am sure. I can't stand Mia Farrow and her fey personality. Anything with RR and PN was great in my book. That was chemistry ! I also absolutely adore Jeremiah Johnson and have watched it like a begillion times.....the song sets the mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 02:50 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
All great movie stars need a few great films, and some good ones to be remembered. Clark Gable is known for Gone With The Wind, Humphrey Bogart for Casablanca. Some stars never find that great film, and in time are forgotten. An example of this, in modern times, in my opinion is Tom Cruise. Tom Hanks will be remembered for a couple of great films like The Green Mile and Road To Perdition. Plus a long list of good films like Forrest Gump and Saving Private Ryan. Modern stars find it difficult to find great scripts because the cinema audience today is very young, and want special effect popcorn films. They don't seem interested in watching character led, good stories. Some of them seem to have the attention span of a hamster.

Robert Redford makes the list, only in my opinion of course, because of The Way We Were, and The Natural. Plus good films like Jeremiah Johnson and The Sting. A few actors seem to reach out of the screen, and touch us with realism and emotional impact. Robert Redford is one such actor, and will remain in the memory of people who saw him in his movie prime.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I first became aware of Robert Redford many years ago, when I saw 'Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.

My wife's favourite film of his is 'The Way We Were.' The chemistry between him and Barbra Streisand was striking. He had a run of good films at that time, 'The Sting', 'The Great Gatsby,' 'Waldo Pepper,' 'Three Days Of The Condor,' among others. He went quiet for a while, then came back with one of my favourite films ever, definitely in my top ten, 'The Natural.' He was too old for the part, but he and Glenn Close were great in this movie.
Barbara Streisand mentioned the ending scene In They Way We Were and said it was her idea to touch
him and his hair.
Robert did a terrific performance in the Great Gatsby and I agree that Mia Farrow as Daisy wasn't a good
call. Some other favorites;
Indecent Proposal
Barefoot in the Park
He directed Quiz Show
and his appearances in the Alfred Hitchcock hour when he was so young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies