Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:33 AM

668 posts, read 994,485 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else seen this yet? Saw it last night and despite having fewer than 100 words of dialogue in it, found it to be very compelling. We all already know that Robert Redford is a great actor, but I was deeply impressed with his ability to convey so many different thoughts and emotions without actually saying anything. Lord knows if I were in his situation I would have dropped a few more F-bombs, even if only to myself. I'm still thinking about the ending, though, and what it meant.

And please - no complaints about spoilers. It's right there in the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 05:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Hmmm....it doesn't sound like the film tells you who the man is, what he is doing at sea, who will be impacted by his death or survival...

....so what reason is there to care whether he lives or dies?

All visuals, no script, sounds like an endurance test to watch.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:53 AM

Well, it's not for everybody. For those who need everything spelled out, constant visual hyperstimulation, and to be given cues about how they should feel about particular characters, perhaps they would have more fun staying home and watching Transformers: Dark of the Moon again.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Well, it's not for everybody. For those who need everything spelled out, constant visual hyperstimulation, and to be given cues about how they should feel about particular characters, perhaps they would have more fun staying home and watching Transformers: Dark of the Moon again.
I see...anyone who disagrees with your appreciation of this film, you then condemn in a condescending manner. If you don't like it it must be due to cultural retardation on your part? That about it?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:35 PM

Nope, not at all. I actually value someone's opinion who sees a film and has a different take on it from me because it gives a different perspective to think about it. But to trash it without bothering to see it? Come on. Go see it and tell me it why it was terrible and then we can have a conversation about it.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Nope, not at all. I actually value someone's opinion who sees a film and has a different take on it from me because it gives a different perspective to think about it. .
But you have already provided us with your perspective on people who don't share your cinematic tastes. You assume that this must be someone..
Quote:
who need everything spelled out, constant visual hyperstimulation, and to be given cues about how they should feel about particular characters
You further assumed that someone disagreeing with you about this movie must be the sort who is satisfied with:
Quote:
staying home and watching Transformers: Dark of the Moon
So, your thinking is clear. Someone says that they do not like Ernest Hemingway's writing, that can only mean that they read nothing more sophisticated than comic books.

Now you say that the price of having a conversation with you is me having to sit through a movie which I do not think I would like.

What you aren't doing is providing me with any reason to think that I would enjoy a conversation with you.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
not playing in las vegas yet.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:46 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
So a movie about a guy lost with a single actor in it? Maybe he will find a soccer ball to talk to. Two hours of Robert Redford? UGH.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
robert redford? hmmm, let's see:

1969 butch cassidy and the sundance kid
1972 jeremiah johnson
1972 the hot rock
1972 the sting
1976 all the president's men
1977 a bridge too far
1984 the natural
2001 spy game

i'll go see it. i like man against nature films.

when someone who hasn't seen a film, says don't go see it, i get interested for some reason. dosen't mean i'll go, but i have seen the trailer on the big screen.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Has anyone else seen this yet? Saw it last night and despite having fewer than 100 words of dialogue in it, found it to be very compelling. We all already know that Robert Redford is a great actor, but I was deeply impressed with his ability to convey so many different thoughts and emotions without actually saying anything. Lord knows if I were in his situation I would have dropped a few more F-bombs, even if only to myself. I'm still thinking about the ending, though, and what it meant.

And please - no complaints about spoilers. It's right there in the title.
I had heard it was intense. Thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies