Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:08 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times

Advertisements

An Inconvenient Truth.

To say 'quite a bending of science' is an understatement. I was ashamed at our country for allowing that to be shown in schools and be referenced as 'truth'. May as well let Michael Moore run the social studies departments.

It made me sad for America that as many people ate that up as they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Zero Dark Thirty. 2.5 hours of CIA propaganda.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:25 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Sorry, I'm not Obi Wan Kenobi; if you seek enlightenment, I could make a few recommendations, but I'm not the one, I'm pretty dead in the head.

I read the title of this thread and I just thought I'd name my movie offender, nothing more. There's a forum section for people who want to get into a heated discussion as I know that's what elaborating on this beloved movie will lead to, not taking the bait. My final comment on the subject so this is finito.
wow! just thought that your choice was an odd one and wanted to know what you found offensive about the premis of that movie. discussion and heated discussion i guess are the same thing to you. or you cant articulate what you found offensive. modcut: inappropriate language

Last edited by Beretta; 12-15-2013 at 07:32 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 05:02 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Frequently but then watching is voluntary on my part. I can cease viewing whenever I want. I continue to watch because seeing/hearing other opinions is part of learning.

My example for today would be Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States which is akin to Soviet-era propaganada.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-14-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 AM

728 posts, read 1,900,147 times
Any film that allows one race to freely mock and make fun of another race without any consequence offends me.

For example "White Chicks" by the Wayans Brothers made a few years ago. Two black guys dress up and act like white girls for whatever reason. Never saw it so can't tell you the plot. How is it that the Wayans brothers got away with making something like this but if a couple of white guys make a movie and call it "Black Chicks" and have white men wearing black face makeup we would have riots in the streets?

Equality goes both ways. You shouldn't be allowed to make fun one one race and leave another untouched simply because it's not politically correct. If you're going to make a racial comedy than toss out the rules and anything goes!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
Religulous starring Bill Maher.

I normally don't get offended by movies and more find them bad or just boring. I'm pretty open minded and don't get easily offended. Although I'm not super religious and approach things with a bit of skepticism, this movie left me with an intense feeling of dislike for Bill Maher. His mocking cynicism and making fools out of people made me want to slap him....hard. To this day, I refuse to watch him and have a feeing close to hate. Don't know why this movie watching experience impacted me so much, especially since I'm not extremely religious in the first place.

Another comedian who I'm in the fence about is Sasha Baron Cohen although I do find some his movies funny. I don't like it when he makes fools out of unsuspecting people.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:47 AM

486 posts, read 832,491 times
Gattaca says it's not OK to discriminate against peoples' genetics but it's OK to discrimination against people who are disabled.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 PM

513 posts, read 737,329 times
[quote=LauraC;32546674]I just thought of another one that angered me more than offended me - House of Sand and Fog - but I actually thought it was a good movie.

Thanks for the recommendation--I'll try to get the movie on Netflix. I read the book and remember thinking when I finished it that usually there is at least one sympathetic character in a book, one you can relate to just a little, but in that one--nobody! It was the saddest book I've ever read. I guess it angered me, as well, even though I DID think it was good, if that makes sense.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:34 PM

52,271 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I haven't been offend per se, but just more like, yeah, I get what your political agenda is Mr. writer/director/producer.

I have a fairly high threshold of things that offend me.

I was pretty taken back by the movie Killer Joe with Matthew McConaughey. I wasn't expecting what the movie was about and the ending was pretty intense........... left me feeling disturbed....

Old 12-21-2013, 01:05 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
An Inconvenient Truth.

To say 'quite a bending of science' is an understatement. I was ashamed at our country for allowing that to be shown in schools and be referenced as 'truth'. May as well let Michael Moore run the social studies departments.

It made me sad for America that as many people ate that up as they did.
The US education system is teaching false truth all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies