Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:55 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
Jada Pinkett Smith, Spike Lee to boycott Oscars 2016 - CNN.com

This is totally unnecessary! I haven't seen a good movie with a black person in it in a long time!! Will Smith does ONE movie in the past 5-8 years thats good and he deserves an oscar??? Where TF has he been?? All the good black actors just havent done anything worth while seriously They need to stop complaining and make an OSCAR WORTHY FILM!! Im black! im not against blacks actors but im against bad acting and it isnt just blacks! Adam sandler, Tom Cruise, Owen Wilson, Vince vaughn, Kevin James. These people have been in ****ty movies! just like black people! They dont need to boycott black actors they need to be boycotting bad acting!!
I'm black too, and I don't think the boycott is necessary. Nor do I think Chris Rock should step down from hosting like some people want him to do. For the most part, I don't care about the Oscars at all, but I just want to see if DiCaprio wins this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 08:00 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
You're missing the principal of the matter. Name all the black actresses who have given Oscar-winning caliber performances and have been overlooked. Good luck. The issue is not the lack of AWARDS for people of color, but the lack of ROLES. That is not controlled by the Academy Awards.
Guko Numba-Ra (probably butchering) was a great supporting role in Concussion as Will Smith's (The husband of Jada) wife. That said there aren't many movies with an African-American female leads period, let alone Oscarbait. There were several African-American performances and directors who were not recognized despite strong performances. That is the issue. It's not like they aren't getting the rules, just the recognition for them.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:41 AM

221 posts, read 202,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Guko Numba-Ra (probably butchering) was a great supporting role in Concussion as Will Smith's (The husband of Jada) wife. That said there aren't many movies with an African-American female leads period, let alone Oscarbait. There were several African-American performances and directors who were not recognized despite strong performances. That is the issue. It's not like they aren't getting the rules, just the recognition for them.
Yes there aren't many movies with A-A female leads, period. That is not the responsibility of the Academy Awards.

And BTW, great is not necessarily the same as Oscar worthy. If they nominated everyone who gave a "great" performance, the ceremony would be 12 hours long, and there would be even more white people on the list.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
She was in the matrix 1 and 2. She gave neo her ship.
If you say so........I only saw Matrix 1 once and never bothered with any of it again.....and I'm a Carrie Ann Moss fan since Models, Inc..

BUT, if Matrix 1 and 2 are her only claim to fame......how long ago was that? Let's face it, becoming a voice actress is not the way to gain fame. It's like the voice of Ravish in the movie
Looker (1981) - IMDb
teaser. Look it up, it's slight too risque for city-data to link.

Whose voice is that? Certainly sounds familiar, at least to us oldies, but do you know the face? Oh, one might know the face he is best know by,
https://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/en...63902767-0.jpg
.......but other than that..............

I wonder if the late http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0735471/ Percy Rodrigues
ever won any awards......and his voice is more recognized than just about anyone else, save Mel Blanc, IMHO.

Making one's living by being a voice actor is probably good pay, but it's not a way to make the Oscars.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:47 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
So Will Smith's wife is having a hissy fit. Well boo hoo to this multi million dollar wife of a celebrity. The Oscars are nothing but an award that is heavily campaigned for so narcissists can tell each other what a great job they do.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:42 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
The academy award has very little to do with my film watching experience. I raise an eye brow when they get it right (Don Hertzfeldt's World of Tomorrow (2015) animated short), but overall they are like any other group think critics and I sure as heck don't let them pick films for me (and they don't get close anyway). Sometimes they pick films for me to avoid, so they ain't all bad.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:53 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
I've never watched one of these and this year will be no different. It has nothing to do with race. I just think it's very boring and irrelevant.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:55 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
The Academy isn't racist. It has overlooked countless good films and performances through the years. Edward Norton, Ed Harris, Sigourney Weaver, Gary Oldman, Robert Downey, Jr., Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, and Leonardo DiCaprio have all put in some excellent performances through the years and not one of these people have ever taken home an Oscar.

Does the Oscar always go to the best performance? No
Are the Oscars racist? No

Old 01-20-2016, 10:02 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
Yes there aren't many movies with A-A female leads, period. That is not the responsibility of the Academy Awards.

And BTW, great is not necessarily the same as Oscar worthy. If they nominated everyone who gave a "great" performance, the ceremony would be 12 hours long, and there would be even more white people on the list.
Well yeah but I've seen some movies that aren't as good as those not nominated for the awards.Creed is a perfect example. It's director should have easily been up for an Oscar as well and not just Stallone.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:38 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm black too, and I don't think the boycott is necessary. Nor do I think Chris Rock should step down from hosting like some people want him to do. For the most part, I don't care about the Oscars at all, but I just want to see if DiCaprio wins this year.

My feelings exactly. Oscars haven't been relevant nor any of these types of award shows for me in years, seems people care more about what their wearing anyway. Except for on the net, I never hear anyone speaking of these shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies