Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 04:35 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Wonder Woman = They could have done a lot with this movie but i feel they did ok. I would have added Supergirl and Lobo. Jason Mamao as Lobo would have been a fun character. They could have link the scene of the spaceship that they Clark found in Man of Steel where a spacepod was open with Supergirl. Supergirl crashes and flies to find young Clark but finds the hidden place of the Amazon. During there 1st meeting it's an all out brawl between Supergirl and Wonder Woman. Lobo escapes from the Amazonian prison during the chaos.
One of the most frequent complaints I saw hurled at BvS was that that film featured "too many characters" (even though everyone loved Wonder Woman). Here you're suggesting the Wonder Woman film would have been improved by the inclusion of two other DC characters, one being another female A-lister (who did get her own movie during the "first round" 30 years ago).

I think I speak for nearly everyone when I say it's great that Wonder Woman had a movie all to herself, with no other characters — not even a cameo within the movie or in a post-credits scene (which frankly, I think CBMs should start doing without).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 05:09 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
One of the most frequent complaints I saw hurled at BvS was that that film featured "too many characters" (even though everyone loved Wonder Woman). Here you're suggesting the Wonder Woman film would have been improved by the inclusion of two other DC characters, one being another female A-lister (who did get her own movie during the "first round" 30 years ago).

I think I speak for nearly everyone when I say it's great that Wonder Woman had a movie all to herself, with no other characters — not even a cameo within the movie or in a post-credits scene (which frankly, I think CBMs should start doing without).
BvS was awful because it didn't have a solid plot. It didn't fail because of having too many characters: Superman, Batman, Luthor, Doomsday, Wonder Woman. (Doomsday+Wonder Woman were barely in the film) The conflict between Batman and Superman was very anti-climatic and felt forced.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You keep trying to justify Man of Steel by comparing it to other movies. The badness of other movies doesn't make MoS any better.
Trust me, it's not a chore. You made one remark. I countered. On this last one, it's a fairly well-known and well-aired sentiment that Cav-el is too much of a "radical departure" from Reev-el for the comfort of many fans. It's simple: there's not a shred of Silver Age Superman in Cavill's portrayal, the Blue Boy Scout with the Colgate Smile who roasts coffee beans with his heat vision, nor must there be. It's no accident. It's one of the reasons I like Man of Steel. It's still a Superman movie. His origin is the same and his motivations are the same, even if he doesn't take the speedboat from A to B as he did in previous decades. The movie would get nowhere near as much hate if Zod didn't die. But because of one bold creative choice, ZS gets everything short of death threats. It's positively insane. If Justice League is well-received, I've no doubt Joss Whedon will be credited for its success. (Reshoots for Justice League just wrapped, so there goes the rumor that Joss was redoing the whole thing from scratch.)

On that note, I believe the next time we see Cav-el, he's going to be in mid-transition to a Superman that's a little closer to Bronze/Copper Age Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But given the original topic, compare it to Wonder Woman, a movie that is not without its flaws, but still manages to rise above them and remain a thoroughly enjoyable movie, all on its own merits.
Wonder Woman had the advantage of presenting an A-list character's first silver screen incarnation, and most of the people who went to see the film have probably never thumbed a Wonder Woman comic, unless they did so recently thanks to the film's promotional campaign and DC's Rebirth. They know who Wonder Woman is simply because she is that timely, that famous, and that popular. Wonder Woman is a pop culture icon, and most people don't know that Diana's screen origin was informed by George Pérez's 1980s reboot. (Or they didn't, before the movie.)

P.S. Don't forget Zack did co-write the story (treatment) for Wonder Woman.

P.P.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-QhdzQo66o

Last edited by AFtrEFkt; 06-27-2017 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Listen up, there was a reported post about this thread veering off topic. It had and I deleted a LOT of posts. I did not go back as far as the beginning of the thread but I did go back a good bit. If you want, feel free to report any post that you feel is off topic or not in keeping with the TOS. That will help me out greatly!

From here on out the thread is to be about Wonder Woman the movie ONLY. You are free to start a new thread to discuss lots of superhero movies all together if you want. Thanks for keeping this thread ON topic!

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2017, 06:13 PM

'Wonder Woman' blows past 'Batman v Superman' at box office

Quote:
And it's not just the totals that are impressive — it's the speed.

Wonder Woman became WB/DC's top grosser in just four weeks of release, beating out the entire 14-week run of Suicide Squad earlier this week, then zooming past Batman v Superman just before the weekend. All the more estimable when you realize that Wonder Woman's opening weekend ($103 million) was significantly lower — meaning its high quality and great word-of-mouth have given it powerful legs.

The breakdown:
  1. Wonder Woman (4 weeks): $325,083,830 (through Tuesday), earning more than $3 million daily on average this week, for an estimated $331 million to $332 million
  2. Batman v Superman (12 weeks): $330 million
  3. Suicide Squad (14 weeks): $325 million
  4. Man of Steel (14 weeks): $291 million
Even if things slowed down mid-week, Wonder Woman will have the domestic box-office title very much in the bag by the first matinees of Friday, and be pulling away all holiday weekend. We're probably another month (or less) away from Wonder Woman passing the previous DC films' world-wide grosses — now at $660 million or so and counting — but that's inevitable, too.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:16 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Do you think WW's lower opening box office was because the earlier movies had already lowered expectations?

I personally had high expectations for WW from the trailer and the initial view in BvS. I rather anticipated WW more than any movie in a long time.

In fact, I had only watched clips of BvS prior to WW...it was WW that caused me to watch all of BvS just to see more of the role Diana Prince played in it.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Do you think WW's lower opening box office was because the earlier movies had already lowered expectations?
I thought it did better than expected by crossing the 100 million line its first weekend.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:03 AM

$700M soon enough. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#79d4909aff8e

Quote:
As noted in the headline, Wonder Woman is now the biggest-grossing DC Films release in North America as of yesterday. The Gal Gadot/Chris Pine adventure earned another $2.685 million yesterday, down 3% from yesterday and 33% from last Thursday. That brings the film's domestic total, after exactly four weeks in theaters, to $330.533m, or just above the $330.366m cume of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

So, in just under a month of play, the Patty Jenkins film has passed Man of Steel, Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman. That's incredibly impressive, especially when you consider that Wonder Woman had an opening weekend 37% smaller than Dawn of Justice, 22% smaller than Suicide Squad and 20% smaller than Man of Steel.

And with $675 million worldwide as of Wednesday and a new total of at least $677.7m worldwide heading into the weekend, it is A) past Doctor Strange's worldwide cume ($677.7m) and B) poised to top the magic $700m mark presumably sometime this weekend. But this is the first weekend where it will face two major challenges. First, it's going to lose 529 theaters today, its first major screen bleed since it opened.

That it took five weekends to start losing screens is in itself impressive, as (for example) Walt Disney's Cars 3 will lose 680 theaters in its third weekend. And The Mummy, which opened one week after Wonder Woman, will be down to 1,755 theaters as of today. But yeah, thanks to three new wide releases (including Warner Bros.' The House and a record 4,529 theaters for Universal/Comcast Corp.'s Despicable Me 3), plus a semi-wide expansion of The Beguiled, the older films are going to have to give up theaters.

The other issue is that this is arguably the first weekend where Wonder Woman will have new competition with the whole "live action multiplex newbie that is halfway decent" thing. Baby Driver has earned superlative reviews, and it's doing just a little better than we dared hope over its first two days. And while The Beguiled is in less than 600 theaters, it's something for moviegoers who want to see a movie that isn't a recycled franchise offering and isn't a critically-panned musical biopic.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:12 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#79d4909aff8e

As noted in the headline, Wonder Woman is now the biggest-grossing DC Films release in North America as of yesterday.
And why is that? Because it is by far DC Films best movie to date. May its tribe increase.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:41 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Quote:
And while The Beguiled is in less than 600 theaters, it's something for moviegoers who want to see a movie that isn't a recycled franchise offering and isn't a critically-panned musical biopic.

But The Beguiled is just another remake, the original starring Clint Eastwood.

Wonder Woman is really kind of a break in many ways from movies since The First Avenger, even though not "original" in concept.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 06-30-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies