Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 01:40 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,579,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/b...arkham-asylum/

This could very well end up being the best Batman film yet.

There's also a reasonable chance it could be the best CBM yet.

Either way, I'm looking forward to whatever Ben and Geoff [Johns] cook up.
Emo Batman. No thank you lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 10:05 PM

248 posts, read 82,858 times
It was good the batman it is original penguin was funny and Jim Gordon did good acting and awesome the villain riddler original. 9/10 The sequel is coming.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:47 PM

28,710 posts, read 18,878,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Emo Batman. No thank you lol
That was my first thought, but the movie turned out pretty good. Just dark cinematography.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That was my first thought, but the movie turned out pretty good. Just dark cinematography.
I’ll take a hard pass on this one Patterson is a decent actor but to play Batman/Wayne one has to be better then a decent actor. I’ll watch it when it hits DVD but I’m not paying full price to see it.

M more interested to see Morbius and the new Dr Strange movie.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I’ll take a hard pass on this one Patterson is a decent actor but to play Batman/Wayne one has to be better then a decent actor. I’ll watch it when it hits DVD but I’m not paying full price to see it.
Pattinson is amazingly good in expressing emotions through the mask with just his eyes. The psychological difference in this movie is that it's not Bruce Wayne who puts on a mask to play Batman, it's The Batman who sometimes removes his mask to play Bruce Wayne. The Batman is who he really is.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:28 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Quote:
Pattinson is amazingly good in expressing emotions through the mask with just his eyes. The psychological difference in this movie is that it's not Bruce Wayne who puts on a mask to play Batman, it's The Batman who sometimes removes his mask to play Bruce Wayne. The Batman is who he really is.
Nothing wrong with Pattinson as an actor. I just don't think this script gave him much of anything to work with. This movie fell into the same trap as nearly all the other previous live-action Batman flicks: The villains were far more interesting than the hero. The hero is just kinda ... there. He is an observer. It is the villains who are developing and making all the important choices.

This script gave Batman ZERO stakes until the movie was 3/4 over. Why was he fighting crime? Because he's Batman. Why is he desperate to stop the Riddler? Because he's Batman. Why is the Gotham P.D. allowing a costumed vigilante full reign at crime scenes? Because he's Batman. We are expected to just fill in the blanks "because he's Batman," so there was no emotional investment in the character.

THE BATMAN had a lot I liked. Gotham looked great. Penguin was great. Catwoman was fantastic. The Riddler was actually scary. The music was good, even if its best moments were John Williams rip-offs. There were a few well done action sequences. But Gordon was booooooring, large swaths of the plot were consequence free, and Batman himself was just ... there.

It is possible to make Batman just as interesting as his villains. I've seen it done. Check out MASK OF THE PHANTASM or UNDER THE RED HOOD, both of which told far superior stories in half the time of THE BATMAN.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This script gave Batman ZERO stakes until the movie was 3/4 over. Why was he fighting crime? Because he's Batman. Why is he desperate to stop the Riddler? Because he's Batman. Why is the Gotham P.D. allowing a costumed vigilante full reign at crime scenes? Because he's Batman. We are expected to just fill in the blanks "because he's Batman," so there was no emotional investment in the character.
I think that was the point. Until the Batman got "I am vengeance" thrown back into his face by the people he was fighting, he was only fighting criminals because he was the Batman.

His motivation had been no deeper than that...and that was the point and his problem. He stated the problem explicitly: Why is crime not decreasing even though he was actively fighting it? Right in the very beginning, the Batman saved a man...but the man's cowering reaction was, "Please don't hurt me." The very people the Batman was saving did not see him as a hero. The Batman was just someone else hiding in the shadows to beat the hell out of people...because he could.

That's why at the end it was important for him to go back down to rescue the orphan children (the boy's choir) who had otherwise been forgotten, and to stay in the light to work beside the first responders.

Old 03-20-2022, 01:08 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Quote:
I think that was the point.
To have a hero utterly devoid of any emotional investment from the audience? If that was the point of the story, it goes a long way to explaining why I found the movie rather underwhelming.

For an audience to care about a protagonist, we have to know what is at stake for the hero and why we should care. THE BATMAN never really gave us that. It focused all of that attention on the antagonists --- which is why they were so much more interesting. Batman was trying to stop the villians just because "he's the good guy." A bland, boring, moping good guy.

Traditionally, a story earns sympathy for the hero by showing the origin story. What made the protagonist into someone we should care about?

But filmmakers are avoiding the prominent superheroes' origin stories like a spoiled burger. "Who wants to see Thomas and Martha Wayne die all over again?" "Uncle Ben is dead --- we get it!" Which is why the recent Batman and Spider-Man flicks totally avoided their origin stories.

Fine. But it behooves the screenwriters to give us a reason to care about these characters. THE BATMAN didn't deliver that to me. The movie had a lot going for it, but it utterly failed to deliver its iconic titular hero. Not Pattinson's fault. It's all in the writing. I am awaiting the inevitable sequel with about as much enthusiasm as next month's round of Happy Meal toys.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:

The psychological difference in this movie is that it's not Bruce Wayne who puts on a mask to play Batman, it's The Batman who sometimes removes his mask to play Bruce Wayne. The Batman is who he really is.
This is well known and in the TDK series betrays that, same with Ben Affleck he played Batman very well.

Old 03-20-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
This is well known and in the TDK series betrays that, same with Ben Affleck he played Batman very well.
Did you mean "betrays" or "portrays?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies