Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 05:23 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan666 View Post

If the Aliens can see the future already why do they need the humans help?
^ that's what you call a spoiler.

Spoiler
The heptapods came to earth because they know their future and don't like it and want to see how we live our life without knowing it, and maybe avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 02:36 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
[quote=skins_fan82;46202887]Really, really good. Amy Adams is underrated.[/QUOTE

Ummm she has been nomiated for an academy award 5 times. So while she hasn't won that
is still a lot of nominations so I don't think anyone underrates her.

Have not seen but know I want to. One thing that bothers me from the trailer - why are so many
Hollywood actors terrible at acting like they are in the military? Its sooo irritating, no military
presence or bearing at all.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:10 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
[quote=Giesela;46240113]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Really, really good. Amy Adams is underrated.[/QUOTE

Ummm she has been nomiated for an academy award 5 times. So while she hasn't won that
is still a lot of nominations so I don't think anyone underrates her.

Have not seen but know I want to. One thing that bothers me from the trailer - why are so many
Hollywood actors terrible at acting like they are in the military? Its sooo irritating, no military
presence or bearing at all.
Or doing unnecessary stuff like saluting officers while out in the field. That went out in Vietnam--there may be a sniper lurking nearby. That's why officers don't wear bright insignia in the field.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:16 AM

Another question has come up: What did it do to Louise to enter the actual atmosphere of the Heptapods?

It did not seem to be particularly noxious. Some people think it chemically imparted more knowledge of the language into Louise. I don't think so, though, at least not directly.

It did not seem to me that they ever made very much of the Heptapods' oral language--or even if there really was an oral Heptapod language with any depth and utility. All their intention seemed to be expressed in a written language.

I think they evolved in an atmosphere that was a natural writing "surface" in itself, and they with natural instruments for writing in that surface, thus developed a "written" language to a greater level of expression than their oral language.

The technical communication problem was that Louise was effectively bereft of their natural medium of expression until she had entered their atmosphere.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:03 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I was left that no one really made any sort of headway into deciphering the language like she had. Maybe their atmosphere gave her more insight and the visions but it almost killed her right?

At any rate I am not sure how other percieved what was happening because Renner's character didnt seem to be bothered by visions of his future son. So I doubt the Chinese general had any visions either and the only thing that made him stand down was her phone call.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I was left that no one really made any sort of headway into deciphering the language like she had. Maybe their atmosphere gave her more insight and the visions but it almost killed her right?
The atmosphere caused her to cough a bit initially, but was not otherwise toxic. What it did enable her to do was to write in the Heptapod language directly.

Quote:
At any rate I am not sure how other percieved what was happening because Renner's character didnt seem to be bothered by visions of his future son. So I doubt the Chinese general had any visions either and the only thing that made him stand down was her phone call.
Not everyone is a linguist, even if a person is very intelligent--so Renner's character may never have substantially learned the language.

It was clear, however, that the linguists employed by the other nations were all making fairly equal headway. The difference was less in their ability to decipher the language than how they interpreted what they deciphered--and the film seemed to make a point that their cultural background had much to do with how they deciphered it.

Thus, Louise as a civilian and as a woman, chose a less bellicose interpretation of the same information.

Louise's great advantage as specifically shown in the film came when she entered the Heptapod atmosphere and gained the ability to write directly in their language.

General Shang could have more fully learned the language at any later date and then returned from his more distant future (beyond the reception) to the reception in time to meet Louise as she was there in her future. Thus, he already had an understanding that she needed to call him in what was their past (from the reception).

Old 11-23-2016, 03:13 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
Then there's her novel.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:56 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Just saw it today, packed theater on an early Thanksgiving morning.

Very good movie, a thinking person's alien movie.

Didn't quite understand all of it, but I think the aliens, when they first saw her and interacted with her, thought she was the ideal person to get their thoughts across and foresaw the best future with her as their 'conduit.'

Old 11-28-2016, 09:24 PM

545 posts, read 411,672 times
Saw it last night. I enjoyed it upon first viewing, but it is definitely one of those films that you need to think about before forming a solid opinion. Very cerebral (not a bad thing).
No spoilers.
Amy Adams was great. Jeremy Renner was- well, he doesn't have a tremendous range as an actor, but I like him generally (he was fantastic in The Hurt Locker). Forest Whitaker- also like him in just about anything. But man, I have no idea what kind of accent he was going for.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:25 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Also: Tralfamadorians.
Bingo. Aside from the curious visual of the Magritte and "Epoch" inspired floating rock/ship/pod, seeing the movie made me re-read "Slaughterhouse Five" (Vonnegut). The description of the Tralfamadorians is also a description of the basic plot of the movie, sans romantic interest.

Well remembered, Ralph Kirk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies