Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 05:49 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times

Advertisements

What Warner Bros. Needs to Do to Save the DC Extended Universe From Its Biggest Enemy, Warner Bros.

I await AfterEffkt's reaction with bated breath.

But here is the central point, with which I wholeheartedly agree:

"Virtually every decision made by Warner Bros. with regards to its DC superhero movies has been bad. But it’s been so desperate to recreate Marvel’s success that it keeps running forward, trying to constantly course correct, when what it really needs to do it take a break, a deep breath, and start over from scratch with a long-term plan that it will actually stick to."

And here is the funniest line, with which I also agree:

"Right now, Zack Snyder is the face of DC’s movies in people’s heads, and that vision is of someone who fundamentally doesn’t understand these characters, but does understand the color gray and rain."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 09:06 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,622,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I await AfterEffkt's reaction with bated breath.
Here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickbait

You're on this stuff like ants on honey.

I didn't bother reading most of it because it's the same old, same old. To satisfy you, I'll say something about this part, at the end of her "article":

Quote:
But here are a few things they can do so every DC movie announcement isn’t greeted with a large amount of side-eye:

1) Reconsider its announced schedule. The Flash has already gone through a director change and there were rumors that James Wan was going to leave Aquaman. Both of these films are supposed to come out in two years. Warner Bros. needs to make these films on a much more fluid schedule than a “this date or bust” idea. This is an industry-wide problem, but one that is killing Warner Bros. more than most.

2) Actually give Geoff Johns and Jon Berg the kind of visible control that Kevin Feige has over Marvel. Right now, Zack Snyder is the face of DC’s movies in people’s heads, and that vision is of someone who fundamentally doesn’t understand these characters, but does understand the color gray and rain. The announcement was a good first step, but now it has to actually look like they are in charge and Snyder is not. Letting Snyder producer and/or co-write the upcoming movies is not helping.

3) If Wonder Woman is received well, don’t suddenly decide to replicate it in every other movie. If they suddenly try to turn Aquaman and The Flash into World War I movies, we’ll know Warner Bros. is still not learning what they need to.

4) Leave the Justice League Dark movie alone. It’s disconnected enough from everything else that it can and should be an incubator of better things. Prove you can do this, Warner Bros.
1a) The Flash's director change is only noteworthy in that they now have a guy who has actually directed movies.

1b) James Wan himself debunked the "rumor" (because nobody knows why it was circulated in the first place) that he was leaving Aquaman. A web journalist ought to know these things. He was busily finalizing his cut for The Conjuring 2, which is why he hadn't been tweeting about Aquaman every other hour.

2) Again, she's a web journalist who should know better, or she's just upping her word count. Johns got promoted and is now the face of DC Entertainment. He's "the Feige" of the DCEU. Snyder's last active production is the one he's currently working on, Justice League, and it's been discussed widely. Mos–BvS–JL will represent his story arc.

3) Aquaman and Flash might become "WWI movies" if Wonder Woman is successful? Nonsense. She should know better than to peg James Wan, who's made some very successful movies for WB, as a guy who would go for that.

4) Frantic speculation. Justice League Dark will likely be its own animal.

And this is just silly:

Quote:
At the end of the day, it might already be too late for the current DC Extended Universe and they might have to start over. Or, the smart move that no one will ever do because it would be admitting failure, announce that everything, starting with Wonder Woman, takes place on Earth-2.
They're not starting over. If Marvel isn't, they shouldn't, either. Deal with it.

Why doesn't she write something worth reading, like all of the bizarre similarities Civil War has to BvS?

Old 09-02-2016, 02:20 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Snyder's last active production is the one he's currently working on, Justice League, and it's been discussed widely. Mos–BvS–JL will represent his story arc.
And that is not a good thing, which is the entire point. Zack Snyder was given the proverbial keys to the kingdom, which was a colossal error on the part of DC. And rather than correct the error and come up with a coherent plan, they just keep trying to change course in midstream. It's time to land the boat, get out, and check the map.

And leave Captain Snyder ashore.

Quote:
They're not starting over. If Marvel isn't, they shouldn't, either. Deal with it.
Apples and oranges. But I suspect it won't be too much longer before Marvel does start over. As they should. Downey can't keep donning that suit into his sixties. It's only a matter of time before Marvel gets the FF back. Once that happens, I suspect the "do over" will begin in earnest.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
And that is not a good thing, which is the entire point. Zack Snyder was given the proverbial keys to the kingdom, which was a colossal error on the part of DC. And rather than correct the error and come up with a coherent plan, they just keep trying to change course in midstream. It's time to land the boat, get out, and check the map.
Again, Justice League will complete an arc. What part of that did you miss? None of this "they should have kicked Zack outta there" nonsense began till after BvS came out, and a lot of that was generated by the same critics who disowned MoS because Superman killed Zod. And these same critics crapped over Batman killing, when he killed in Burton's movies and nobody bitched. Hypocrisy.

And again, if you're going to post an article, read it and make sure the author's not recycling inaccurate information.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Apples and oranges. But I suspect it won't be too much longer before Marvel does start over. As they should. Downey can't keep donning that suit into his sixties. It's only a matter of time before Marvel gets the FF back. Once that happens, I suspect the "do over" will begin in earnest.
He should step down now. He's got enough money. I'd like to see a Stark (be it Tony or Arno) who doesn't have a stupid one-liner at the ready for every scenario. Were it not for the Russos, he would've blasted Falcon with a salvo of snark, rather than a repulsor ray, as he leaned over the still form of Rhodes.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:57 PM

406 posts, read 288,667 times
Quote:
Excellent

Quote:
He should step down now. He's got enough money. I'd like to see a Stark (be it Tony or Arno) who doesn't have a stupid one-liner at the ready for every scenario. Were it not for the Russos, he would've blasted Falcon with a salvo of snark, rather than a repulsor ray, as he leaned over the still form of Rhodes.
Maybe after Infinity War Part 2. Audiences love Downey.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:55 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,833 times
I hope WB/DC listens to the critical response to the DCEU movies (and judging by studio restructuring, it appears that they have), but the quality of this initial "phase" is overall inconsequential. They needed to stop leaving money on the table and get the superhero universe started right away.
Since 2012, there's only been one superhero movie that was a certified flop. Aside from Fantastic 4, superhero movies are a baseline theater gross of $500 million worldwide.
When the demand for superhero movies is so high that a studio has to try extremely hard to produce a flop, a studio like WB has to jump in before the time comes that even the most critically-praised superhero movie is overlooked.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:37 AM

Iron Man – $585,174,222
The Incredible Hulk – $263,427,551
Iron Man 2 – $623,933,331
Thor – $449,326,618

Cumulative worldwide gross of the first four MCU films: $1,921,861,722

Man of Steel – $668,045,518
Batman v Superman – $872,662,631
Suicide Squad (not yet updated through 9/2) – $614,117,209

Cumulative worldwide gross of the first three DCEU films: $2,154,825,358

The DCEU is not being rebooted anytime soon. 2017's going to kick ass!

Old 09-03-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Since 2012, there's only been one superhero movie that was a certified flop. Aside from Fantastic 4, superhero movies are a baseline theater gross of $500 million worldwide.
When the demand for superhero movies is so high that a studio has to try extremely hard to produce a flop, a studio like WB has to jump in before the time comes that even the most critically-praised superhero movie is overlooked.
In spite of the perennial popularity of Marvel's mutants (who have since become overshadowed by the Avengers, at least on screen), Fox has never really gained the kind of traction with their movies that I expected them to. It's really strange. Even though X-Men: Days of Future Past is their top grosser, it still didn't light up the books where the profit margins lie.

X-Men: First Class is a truly excellent film that outshines everything Fox has made before and after it, and yet it's one of their lower grossing productions. It didn't even have a grandiose budget.

The answer might be an AVX (Avengers v. X-Men) movie, but I wouldn't expect that story to be that great, mainly because the comic sucked. The movie would be driven by its novelty.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:56 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,833 times
The long-running Singer series is running out of steam (although again, the last 2 X-movies crossed $500m. As long as these movies are budgeted with the expectation of making that amount, movie studios like Fox have a low risk-high reward investment with superhero movies), and is overdue for a refresh. The answer for Fox is to explore other aspects of the mutant-verse that they hold the license to.
The starting point is Deadpool, which I hear will be followed by The New Mutants.
The way Apocalypse ended, it was a good place to shut the series down. Make the Deadpool sequel and TNM, introducing new characters and X-Men cameos (like DP's Colossus, no relation to the Singer series). Then make an event film featuring the X-Men and the other characters introduced since Deadpool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies