Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Going to go see Split tonight and I am looking forward to it. We tried to go last night but it was sold out at one theater and jam packed at another and so we opted for tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 04:24 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Spoiler
I'm generally not in favor of even remotely hinting at a plot twist when I discuss a movie (without the spoiler tag). The problem that happens when you tell someone that a movie has a plot twist, is that the person then automatically spends most of the movie trying to outguess the director and figure out what the twist is. It takes away from enjoying the movie for what it is.

That's one of the reasons why the Sixth Sense worked so well for me. Before I saw it, I read a few reviews and also talked to someone that saw it. They told me nothing about a plot twist, but just that the ending was very good and gave the movie a whole new perspective. So as I watched the movie, I wasn't busy trying to figure out the twist, but enjoyed the movie for what it was and was shocked by the ending. Made it that much better.

However, in hindsight, I do think that I might have enjoyed Split more if I knew before hand what the movie was ultimately about. To go from a serious movie with very heavy, disturbing, and deep themes, to a conclusion that revealed the true purpose of the movie, was a bit of a letdown to me. But that's just me.
Spoiler
It didn't ruin it for me. I guess it was a numbers game for me because Unbreakble has to be at least fifteen years old ( Bruce had hair). so it was going to take some time to wrap it back around. I got a chuckle out of him at he very end. I thought it was funny. He's in good health and I loved seeing him on that bar-stool with that side-ward grin he always had.

As far as the movie.. interesting how D.I.D. can manifest into multiple personalities. I thought James Avery was excellent in playing all these personalities. We have some ( B) berries in Arkansas.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:02 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times
I loved this movie. I was actually waiting for some kind of twist and it didn't really come, but that's what I liked in a way (not referring to the very last scene with Bruce, of course). Every M Night movie seems to have some kind of crazy twist to it, and there are times when it ruins it for me. James McAvoy - somebody give that guy an Oscar! Amazing performance.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:10 PM

My husband and I liked this movie. Is it a masterpiece of suspense? No. Is it solid acting? Yes. Is it a plausible story line? Yes. Did I cover my eyes a time or two and peek through my fingers? Yes.

Overall I give it a 7 out of 10! Very satisfying movie night.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:04 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
I agree, Give this guy an Oscar.What an amazing performance. I don't think I have seen him in anything else but Atonement. He was mesmerizing.
We really enjoyed this,very entertaining. It makes me forgive MNS for Lady in the Water and The Village.
Hedwig (wasn't that his name?) I loved him getting down to Kanye.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I agree, Give this guy an Oscar.What an amazing performance. I don't think I have seen him in anything else but Atonement. He was mesmerizing.
We really enjoyed this,very entertaining. It makes me forgive MNS for Lady in the Water and The Village.
Hedwig (wasn't that his name?) I loved him getting down to Kanye.
That was a great scene! This guy really does deserve some serious recognition for his acting in this movie.

It was a great date night movie. Scary enough to snuggle to, entertaining, good to talk about afterward. We've had a really rough few weeks and it was great to just get out and go to a theater and watch a well done, suspenseful movie.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:43 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
I'm very excited to watch this due to the positive reviews because I loved sixth sense but most any movie since I haven't liked. I do normally like his twists in movies, I know it's expected but I think most are good twists it's just the rest of the movie that falls flat. This one sounds promising and it doesn't seem to have that major twist so hoping it will be a winner for us!

Old 01-26-2017, 06:08 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
In regards to the ending and whether it's a twist or not,

Spoiler
That's yet another reason why I felt a bit disappointed. I know I'm nitpicking, but even as a 'twist' ending, I didn't even get the twist the first time I saw it.

I saw Bruce Willis, and he mentioned something about knowing a guy a lady was talking about in the diner. I actually had to search online to see what that was about, then I realized that the 'twist' was that this movie was related to "Unbreakable." The origin story of the truly evil bad guy, the Beast.

If it's going to be a twist ending, I expect along the lines of The Sixth Sense or The Visit, one of my favorite movies of that year. When both twists were revealed, my mouth dropped and mind was blown.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:23 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In regards to the ending and whether it's a twist or not,
I agree. In the "Sixth Sense", I never saw the twist coming, and was so stunned that I immediately re-watched the DVD to see if it really worked...and it did. Blew my mind completely, and has made that one of my favorite films, even though I don't like Bruce Willis.

In general, I'm not into Mc Avoy. Not saying he's not good...just not my taste. I just re-watched him in "The Conspirator", and for me he's an actor that I can take or leave, depending on the strength of the film.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:27 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times
I liked the story development and was engaged until the final act, but the ending failed to deliver for me (
Spoiler
and I didn't get the tie-in at all to Unbreakable
).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies