Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 04:07 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
So excited for this. I’ll being seeing this opening night and then partying it up the next day at the Myers house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 05:16 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
So apparently Brazil got an entirely different trailer. Warning: LOTS of film footage in this trailer. Maybe even verging onto spoiler territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=xexYvgXM0OA

Old 09-09-2018, 02:13 PM

"Halloween" Draws Great Reviews In Toronto - Dark Horizons

Quote:
...reviews for the new “Halloween” whichi screened last night were much more positive with plenty of them calling it a return to form for the series.

Universal Pictures and Blumhouse Productions held the premiere of David Gordon Green’s slasher sequel at the film festival and the reaction varied between good and great. With fifteen reviews counted, the film sits at an impressive 93% and an 8/10 average rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her iconic role as Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago. The film opens October 19th, and here’s a sampling of reviews below:

Variety: “Green has pulled off what he set out to do, tying up the mythology that Carpenter and company established, while delivering plenty of fresh suspense – and grisly-creative kills – for younger audiences.”

THR: “Carpenter should be pleased, and so should genre buffs – for once, this is a pic their less geeky girl/boyfriends should enjoy.”

EW: “The movie mostly works because it’s so fundamental, and funny too: Michael still never speaks; his mask and his slow, deadly, deliberate walk say everything they need to.

Nerdist: “For all of the deep and fascinating semiotic analysis of this film, it’s also just a great Halloween movie.
The Playlist: “Thrilling, atmospheric, and brutally violent, Halloween (2018) delivers exactly what fans want from the series and then some.”

Bloody Disgusting: “All in all, Halloween is a worthy entry in the franchise…the core cast is good to great, as is the violence and the gore. Everything really clicks at the finale.”

Cinemixtape: “David Gordon Green’s “Halloween” may not be perfect, but it’s exactly the rough-and-tumble twenty-first century sequel that Carpenter’s film deserves.”

Collider: “We finally have a new Halloween movie that moves the franchise forward and respects its legacy.”
Dread Central: “Halloween pays loving and respectful homage … while making a very bold and decisive claim for its own existence. This is the real deal and it is every horror fan’s dream come true.”

Indiewire: “The movie would be a harmless, discardable remix of standard horror notes if not for Curtis, who charges through the movie as if she never stopped running four decades back.”

Old 09-10-2018, 06:12 AM

Reviews are trickling in... and based on them, I am excited to see this even more.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Reviews are trickling in... and based on them, I am excited to see this even more.
Me, too. Though we should point out there are some dissenters out there. Keeping in mind that I don't think I have ever read a review from A.A. Dowd where actually liked the movie (like Mikey, he seems to hate everything):

https://film.avclub.com/david-gordon...ior-1828924206

David Gordon Green’s Halloween is just another inferior Michael Myers rampage

Excerpt:

Quote:
Sadly, for all the hype its built around itself over the past few months, Halloween (Grade: C) is just another pale imitation, another bad Halloween sequel watering down the fear factor of the original.

----

Oblivious teenagers, a masked madman among the trick-or-treaters, a lawman and a psychologist running around town in not-too-hot pursuit: Halloween conforms to the basic pattern most of these movies follow, returning to Haddonfield as mindlessly, even mechanically, as Michael does. Green, who’s surely the most respected, accomplished director to ever make a Halloween sequel, has some occasional fun aping Carpenter’s voyeuristic camerawork; there’s a great long take that tracks Michael up to a window, loses him as he goes around the side of the house, and finds him again when he appears behind some poor, unsuspecting knife fodder inside. But Green seems equally indebted to the gorier, meaner, less suspenseful approach of the other sequels and Rob Zombie’s remakes, as though he were constructing a kind of greatest-hits package for a band unwilling to admit that they have only one album people really want to hear. Halloween isn’t explicitly a horror-comedy, but it does have the destructive habit of undercutting its scares with broad laughs, Green and McBride deflating the tension at every turn with goofball asides.
As soon as I heard Danny McBride was involved with this, that^ is exactly what I was afraid of.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:18 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Wait, you mean there are jokes planted that, intentionally or not, suck all the tension and gravitas out of some scenes?

Yeah, it seems like a trend these days.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Wait, you mean there are jokes planted that, intentionally or not, suck all the tension and gravitas out of some scenes?

Yeah, it seems like a trend these days.
Yeah. I hate it.

I don't mind humor in scary movies. ALIEN is a very scary movie with some very funny scenes. Same with THE HOWLING. Even SILENCE OF THE LAMBS has a laugh or two. But the humor arises naturally from the characters, conflict, and plot. They aren't forced in for a laugh. Screenwriters seem to have lost the ability or even the desire to do this.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Maybe Kevin Feige's producing and Joss "make it dark, make it grim, tell a joke" Whedon's writing, but they're getting paid more to keep their names off the movie.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Me, too. Though we should point out there are some dissenters out there. Keeping in mind that I don't think I have ever read a review from A.A. Dowd where actually liked the movie (like Mikey, he seems to hate everything):

https://film.avclub.com/david-gordon...ior-1828924206

David Gordon Green’s Halloween is just another inferior Michael Myers rampage

Excerpt:

As soon as I heard Danny McBride was involved with this, that^ is exactly what I was afraid of.

Interesting. I did read a few reviews where people just ripped it to shreds, but honestly, I am a loyal Halloween fan. Through thick and thin, I am a fan. I mean, laughs can be good to break up some of the tension in horror films. Sometimes it works and sometimes it falls flat. In Halloween 5 we had those two bumbling cops and the wonderful "apple dumpling gang" music in the background of their scenes. It seemed so weird and out of place, but for me, I love it. It's part of the movie for me and it works. I didn't always feel that way, but as I said, I am a loyal fan of this franchise.

I have been trying not to watch too much with regards to this new film. I want to go in fresh. I have been staying away from spoilers and only reading basic reviews. It's been hard because I want to read everything about this movie. October 19th cannot come quick enough for me.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:01 PM

First full review I have read: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-hall...and-1829118660

If you've seen the trailers, there is nothing in the review that you haven't already seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies