Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 06:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
It was good. For some reason The Accountant came to mind, which I would rate slightly above AB.

Spoiler
I liked the Hitchockian plot (see The 39 Steps), and of course, the McGuffin.
I enjoyed The Accountant but Ben Afflick cannot compare to Charlize Theron in ability---
There is no there, there w/him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I actually see this as a female version of John Wick rather than James Bond. Not sure why.
The overdone violence and total commitment to goal---
Yes--and about as much humor as "John Wick"
Bond plays the humor card---and Theron could do that if the script asked...
This one just didn't...

Have a question about the man who supposedly memorized the list she was trying to extract...
I get why James McAvoy's character wanted to kill him (and her) but why knowing what the list said was she really so intent on extracting him safely?
She WAS distraught when he was trapped and drowned....
So did that mean (which I think) that he was lying about memorizing the list just to reach West Berlin w/his family? And she believed he was lying and willing to take him anyway?

Old 08-03-2017, 06:54 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Have a question about the man who supposedly memorized the list she was trying to extract...
I get why James McAvoy's character wanted to kill him (and her) but why knowing what the list said was she really so intent on extracting him safely?
She WAS distraught when he was trapped and drowned....
So did that mean (which I think) that he was lying about memorizing the list just to reach West Berlin w/his family? And she believed he was lying and willing to take him anyway?
My interpretation was that her mission was to get the list. When the watch went missing and nobody knew who had it, the man who had memorized the list was the only next best thing available. By getting him across, at least her bosses would know exactly whose names were on the list. I could easily be wrong, however.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:27 PM

But if u saw last 20 min of film that premise was blown by what Purcival (McAvoy's character) said to Lorraine (Therone's)...

Old 12-20-2017, 09:15 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Watched this tonight on BluRay. Didn't really like it that much and I usually like spy thriller type movie. This one meh.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:00 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I didn't like this. It gave me a headache between the low lighting and (good) soundtrack and too many fight scenes. That's why people keep mentioning John Wick: all action and no plot, kind of like the Bourne stuff. A few Jason Stathams, too. I didn't mind John Wick as much since they didn't throw in a complicated bunch of characters you were supposed to keep straight and an excuse for a twisty plot.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:12 AM

There was a plot--and it was complicated enough that you had to pay attention--hard to do when some of the conversations were overshadowed by the fight noise---

And "John Wick" certainly had a plot, too--just a very contrived one since the main villain who just happened to desire Wick's car and kill his dog was also the inept son of Wick's former boss...

I agree the lighting and the colot tones were depressing but maybe that had as much to do with the supposed location (Russia) as anything else...
Black/white/gray---indicated the moral quandry any "secret" agent/spy agency operates within---
There are few "truths" that shine through and much corruption....so few bright spots...
And the cold--another metaphor of the icy souls of those involved...

Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There was a plot--and it was complicated enough that you had to pay attention--hard to do when some of the conversations were overshadowed by the fight noise---

And "John Wick" certainly had a plot, too--just a very contrived one since the main villain who just happened to desire Wick's car and kill his dog was also the inept son of Wick's former boss...

I agree the lighting and the colot tones were depressing but maybe that had as much to do with the supposed location (Russia) as anything else...
Black/white/gray---indicated the moral quandry any "secret" agent/spy agency operates within---
There are few "truths" that shine through and much corruption....so few bright spots...
And the cold--another metaphor of the icy souls of those involved...
I thought the location was Berlin. Don't forget all the accents adding to the general confusion. And the sound track fighting the fight noise for background.

Also agree John Wick and movies like it have a speck of plot: this person gets a reason to go on a 90-minute action/killing spree and that's the rest of the movie. My H seems to love movies like that. I've seen all the Bourne ones, and expect to be watching John Wick part 10 when we get there.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I thought the location was Berlin. Don't forget all the accents adding to the general confusion. And the sound track fighting the fight noise for background.

Also agree John Wick and movies like it have a speck of plot: this person gets a reason to go on a 90-minute action/killing spree and that's the rest of the movie. My H seems to love movies like that. I've seen all the Bourne ones, and expect to be watching John Wick part 10 when we get there.
You were right--Berlin--
She killed the first guy in Russia I think before going to Berlin

I thought this was more like Bourne than Wike vis a vis the plot--there were the two hooks here that were not as anticipated as Wick's methodical mowing down of adversaries....
Have we ever seen Keanu lose?

Charlize has been in movies where she or her side has lost--so her persona can't automatically be assumed to come out on top...

Old 03-05-2018, 02:10 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
We watched this recently. Wasn't really impressed. It's been done to death and been done better. Slight gotcha at the end but overall wasn't really too thrilled with the movie. I like a good ass kicker type movie once in a while, especially if they get a bit creative with the action sequences. The only thing a bit different was the action hero was a woman, but that novelty wears off pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies