Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 08:29 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
King wrote the book during the years of his substance abuse, and I think it shows in the book. Long sections that an editor should have nixed, and several scenes that were obviously meant to be scary but were just goofy. A murderous Paul Bunyan statue and Rodan? C'mon.

I agree...I definitely found myself skipping/skimming through paragraphs with this one. Cut it down and it could be a great book. I loved the bond the losers group had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 09:16 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
This link gives lots of info.

Stephen King's It: First Trailer Will Give You Nightmares | Den of Geek

Now, if only I can find someone to go see it with me! (My husband hates scary movies, lol.)

Btw, I love the look of the young cast. One of the problems of the TV mini-series was that I hated how they cast it. The kid who plays Richie in the 2017 movie actually looks geeky, and the kid who plays Ben actually looks fat. Too many times, the producers seem to be afraid of casting kids who actually look as (quote) "unattractive" (unquote) as they are portrayed in the source material. I don't know how many times characters described as fat have been portrayed by someone who looks like they are just 10-15 pounds overweight or young girls described as being very unattractive being portrayed by someone who is not any more unattractive than 90% of the girls you would find in almost any school. Since when does "not gorgeous" equal "unattractive"? (One example of this "beautifying up" is the fact that Hermione Granger was described as having bushy/frizzy hair and protruding teeth, and yet she was portrayed by the very cute Emma Watson who went on to play the beautiful Belle in Beauty and the Beast. Another example is Mae Whitman in the movie, The DUFF -- Designated Ugly Fat Friend. http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...JuujMupMkSONHH

Okay, rant off!

Last edited by katharsis; 03-31-2017 at 09:44 AM..

Old 03-31-2017, 09:27 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I agree...I definitely found myself skipping/skimming through paragraphs with this one. Cut it down and it could be a great book. I loved the bond the losers group had.

That was part of my problem with the book. I loved the main characters as kids. But as adults, all but one of them turned into annoying, horrible human beings.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:48 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
The only major problem I had with it, the part where King really messed up the story without an explanation as to why, was where Stan kills himself. One, I am a huge fan of Richard Masur ( he was cool in " The Thing" but got killed off too soon), and Stan was probably the character I liked best. I know he saw the deadlights and had the hardest time accepting what the creature was, but he also was probably the best adjusted adult and his suicide added zero to the plot. I thought they had to face it as a group but he inexplicably lets them down and it just was a poor decision on King's part.
Pennywise ... meh. The Podestas, those two are scary. They make Pennywise look like Sponge Bob.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:16 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I might be the minority but I didn't find this trailer particularly frightening. It seemed rather forced in trying to scare/creep out the audience.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:58 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
Is this a remake? I swear I saw this movie already in the early 90s.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:47 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,621 times
Does anyone know if the entire movie is about the middle school kids in the trailer? or do older actors take over?

Old 04-02-2017, 06:40 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Is this a remake? I swear I saw this movie already in the early 90s.
It's a remake of the first part of the tv mini-series from the '90's

Old 04-02-2017, 06:42 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Does anyone know if the entire movie is about the middle school kids in the trailer? or do older actors take over?

It's basically the 1st half part of the 1990's tv mini series, and they are planning a second movie to show the ending.

Don't forget the original book is over 700 pages! Can't do much in 2 hours.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:20 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
I wouldn't call this a remake of the miniseries. It's a movie version (the first) of the book. The point being they aren't re-interpresting the mini series. They are going back to the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies