Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 04:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually it was a good movie for him. It got you to explain some tough things about life to him, after giving him a softer view that real life would give him. A five year old can handle such concepts.

This is where I've drawn ire with my remarks over in the Wrinkle in Time topic. They took a wildly successful story written for young girls and dumbed it down to the Tele-Tubby level...I guess because modern young girls are neither as smart or as resilient as they were in the 60s.
We always discuss movies we take him to and did with our own children--and took them to some films that were definitely not children's films because we wanted them to learn to appreciate good filmmaking--and learn to analyze movies as a form of literature just like we discussed books we read w/them...
Many kids' films in the past (and I mean 70s-80s) when our kids were younger were not very artistic or well made---

"Coco" was more for 8+ IMO--lot of talking vs action and complex concepts--our grandson is smart for his age but his attention span was challenged because this really was a complex movie...
I thought this movie like some of the others Disney has done (the other Dia de Los Muertos one for example) were meant for older kids---they weren't really that meant for the same age group that watches Paw Patrol
But because they are animated and have music people seem to think one size fits all
Beauty and the Beast is film that my grandson loves to watch on TV (streaming) and it has aspects that make it suitable for viewers of all ages including adults...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 06:20 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
So you speak for over a billion of others on the planet? I am referring to his status in the comics, not on screen. I bet if you were to ask the majority of the movie going public who Black Panther was before his debut in CW, they would probably say the black political organization from the 60s.
So then what did you mean by a C-list character?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I was referring to my OP at hand by saying I answered my own question. Stop trying to dig up an argument.
Hey... Ain't nothin' wrong with a good argument on a message board.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Totally agree with you. Most people would agree that Black Panther wasn't an "A- level" character, at least before this movie. 95% of people had never heard of Black Panther before Captain America Civil War. Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Wonder Woman are A level characters. I would even put Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man as a level below (maybe an A- or probably moreso in the B range). Although people nowadays rank everything as an "A." Not a lot of objectivity.
But still... everything that both you and Taiko said is subjective because there's no official rating system for what grade-level a superhero is in.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Hmmm. So are you saying that the 14 billion that Marvel has made is from people who don't have good taste?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Is everything so black-and-white with you?
So in other words... I took that as you saying that you didn't like my answer.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:32 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
So in other words... I took that as you saying that you didn't like my answer.
That's not what I meant. I asked you a question. Still waiting for the answer.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
That's not what I meant. I asked you a question. Still waiting for the answer.
Yeah, but your question was in response to my question of: "Hmmm. So are you saying that the 14 billion that Marvel has made is from people who don't have good taste?" Therefore, answer my question first and then I'll answer yours.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:44 PM

Nobody saw that coming.

https://twitter.com/DailyPlanetDC/st...56971825938432

Old 03-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but your question was in response to my question of: "Hmmm. So are you saying that the 14 billion that Marvel has made is from people who don't have good taste?" Therefore, answer my question first and then I'll answer yours.
You already know the answer. I don't really have to spell it all out for you...do I?

Old 03-12-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
You already know the answer. I don't really have to spell it all out for you...do I?
Oh... So you're saying that the 14 billion dollars that Marvel has made so far is from people who don't have good taste. I see.

Well... to answer your question of: Is everything so black-and-white with you?... Well, no... because I was just asking a logical question.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmjunkie View Post
I finally watched 'Black Panther'

WHOA amazing. Exhilierating. Culture changing. This might be the finest American film in recent memory. Or at-least since 'Get Out'. From the acting, to the cinetography, to the music and the story. Oh my the story. It empowers people of color like myself that see what our World would be like if not for greedy colonizers. But unlike the past, this film series is still ongoing and gives us hope that we can reverse the trend, create our own Wakanda and rewrite history! There is no doubt in my mind 'Black Panther' will win the Oscar for Best Picture and if it doesn't then people of color and white women should boycott the academy!

I cannot wait for the sequel! Maybe our own society will change by then and mirror what we experienced in 'Black Panther'
Welcome to the forum, filmjunkie. And thanks for making your first post in this forum and in this thread.

And by the way, you aren't a paid representative of Marvel studios are you?..... Just kidding.

Plus, I see that you have a very, um, optimistic outlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies