Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 07:06 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=dNW0B0HsvVs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Look, the Falcon running from TIE Fighters and into the maw of a ginormous starbeast. Where have we seen that before?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:24 AM

I like the overall "look" of the movie, even if some of the designs seem off. It looks more Dirty Dozen than anything, which is fine by me. And some of the scenes at least look like they are going back to the Western for inspiration, which is exactly the right decision.

But the lead? Just doesn't seem like Han Solo to me. Granted this is only a preview, and I have nothing against Alden Ehrenreich, whom I have only seen in HAIL, CAESAR! and thought he was great. So if they really want to cast him in a STAR WARS Western heist movie, fine. But nothing in his poise, voice, mannerisms, etc. seemed the least bit Han Soloish.

I'm all for STAR WARS prequels and side-movies. But it wouldn't kill Disney to do something new. Luke and Leia and Han and all the rest had their day. Give us some new heroes.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:38 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But the lead? Just doesn't seem like Han Solo to me.
That about sums it up for me.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:53 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
The movie looks like a Marvel movie wrapped in Star Wars skin. The lead for Han should've been cast a LOT better. The guy doesn't look or sound like Harrison Ford, thus, makes my interest level for the entire movie drop. It's just not believable. This is a movie that no one really asked for, or wanted. It just feels like it's made solely just to be a cash grab and nothing else.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:20 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
The lack of resemblance to Harrison Ford doesn't bother me, since it is a stand alone movie and made in the past few years.

The only time lack of resemblance bothers me is when two versions of the same character are in the same movie, older and younger.

A good example of this would be Looper. The younger Joe played by Joseph Gordon-Lewitt looks absolutely nothing like older Joe played by Bruce Willis (even with some prosthetics/makeup). That put a damper somewhat on the movie.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The lack of resemblance to Harrison Ford doesn't bother me, since it is a stand alone movie and made in the past few years.
I wouldn't want him "doing an impression" the whole movie. That would feel like a schtick. But Ewan MacGregor's Obi-Wan is a good example of what is needed here --- enough of the speech patterns and mannerisms that you know he is playing the same character, but enough acting to make it your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
A good example of this would be Looper. The younger Joe played by Joseph Gordon-Lewitt looks absolutely nothing like older Joe played by Bruce Willis (even with some prosthetics/makeup). That put a damper somewhat on the movie.
I loved Looper. No, Levitt doesn't look much like Willis, even in prosthetics, but his performance was so spot on that I bought it.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:34 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Is this supposed to be a heist movie?

My problem with Alden Ehrenreich (who I've also only seen in Hail, Caesar!) is that he seems to be too much of a nice guy (with a voice in too high a register to be Han Solo).

IMO, Han Solo before A New Hope needs to be a genuine scoundrel, not a good guy with a scoundrel façade. I don't mind a story of what made him become a scoundrel, but it ought to be a tragedy that leaves him nasty at heart.

Heck, it would be great if he wound up at the end of the story sitting in a Mos Eisley cantina nursing a drink with his grudge.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:22 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
So did they move Deadpool’s release date before Solo’s release date because they don’t have faith in Solo doing well at the box office?

Old 02-08-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Han Solo before A New Hope needs to be a genuine scoundrel, not a good guy with a scoundrel façade.
Precisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies